Santiago Airport to POP airport

Schmen

Mar 7, 2004
Hello,
I am a newbie American woman flying into Santiago airport next week at six pm and need to pick up my brother the next day at pop airport at 2 pm (we are headed on to Cabarete). I am on a restricted budget and do not know if it is best to stay in a hotel in santiago that evening (and they all seem expensive at least on the web) or take transport up to the POP airport that night. I also do not know how difficult this will be to do at night and whether or not there is a hotel adjacent to the airport or extremely nearby (to save $ on cab fare the next day). Any suggestions on good cheap ways to get from STI to POP and have some sort of cheap accommodation somewhere along the way in either place? Any help is appreciated. I have found this message board to be extremely useful and I hope you all have a great day.
Schmen

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi Schmen,

There is an incredible amount of inexpensive Motels right near the STI airport. I know you are probably thinking MOTEL no way. But let me say this. You will be very impressed if you stay in one of the motels in the area. You can try Venus, Ethics, Zeus or the new one called Horus. They are nice and cheap. If you get the standard room you will pay about $30 for the night.

All you have to do is tell the taxi driver the name and they will know. Next day you dial 0 on the phone and ask for a taxi. Then ask the taxi to take you to Caribe Tours or Metro bus stations. This will get you to POP.

Hope this helps.

Schmen

Mar 7, 2004
thanks El Tigre

El Tigre said:
Hi Schmen,

There is an incredible amount of inexpensive Motels right near the STI airport. I know you are probably thinking MOTEL no way. But let me say this. You will be very impressed if you stay in one of the motels in the area. You can try Venus, Ethics, Zeus or the new one called Horus. They are nice and cheap. If you get the standard room you will pay about $30 for the night.

All you have to do is tell the taxi driver the name and they will know. Next day you dial 0 on the phone and ask for a taxi. Then ask the taxi to take you to Caribe Tours or Metro bus stations. This will get you to POP.

Hope this helps.

I am definately excited there are MOTELS around since I prefer them to Hotels. Thanks so much for the help! Jen

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
forget MOTELS

They are generally a short step away from being whore houses. Their clientel uses the beds by the hour.

Okey. Hotel Colonial, about $15 a night, safe and centric.
A taxi from Santiago to the POP airport is, today, RD$1000 or about $19.50.
A taxi from the Santiago airport to the hotel is RD$350 or $7.00.

You can take a taxi to the hotel, get a good night's sleep, wake up, take a cab to the Metro or Caribe Tour station on Maimon street(RD$70 or $1.40), a bus ride to POP (about RD$80 pesos) and then a taxi to the airport...Have to ask Grahame about that. (BushBaby)

If you need help, send me a PM or an email and I can explain further...

HB

Schmen

Mar 7, 2004
Aloha Sol?

Is this a good place even if it is more expensive? Is it centrally located or near to the Caribe Tours station?

Finally, is there a motel/hotel adjacent or very near the POP airport, I could just head straight there.

Thanks for all your help
Jen

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hillbilly said:
They are generally a short step away from being whore houses. Their clientel uses the beds by the hour.

Okey. Hotel Colonial, about $15 a night, safe and centric.
A taxi from Santiago to the POP airport is, today, RD$1000 or about $19.50.
A taxi from the Santiago airport to the hotel is RD$350 or $7.00.

You can take a taxi to the hotel, get a good night's sleep, wake up, take a cab to the Metro or Caribe Tour station on Maimon street(RD$70 or $1.40), a bus ride to POP (about RD$80 pesos) and then a taxi to the airport...Have to ask Grahame about that. (BushBaby)

If you need help, send me a PM or an email and I can explain further...

HB

That's true Hillbilly. But that doesn't mean you can't use them for an overnight stay. I've been to these motels and they are very clean. As a matter of fact I have a relative that works for one of them.

I offered it because it seemed that Schmen was looking for something quick and simple. And you can't get much simpler than one of those motels in la autopista duarte.