Looking for ideas to Pico Duarte, Samana, Cabarete?

mre2b9

Mar 4, 2004
I'm planning a trip for a week primarily to go to Pico Duarte and then fill in the rest of the week with Cabarete or maybe Samana if we can get there and if the whales are still around. But I have lots of questions and would be happy to hear what others think about this:

We are arriving at POP at 2pm and we think we should either head straight to Samana to try catch the tail end of the whale season or head straight for Pico Duarte.

I know the bus to Samana only leaves at 7am so that is likely out -- we will probably taxi to Sousa or Cabarete; what are the chances of hitching a ride or finding a cheaper taxi (not an airport taxi) in Sousa or Cabarete to take us on to Samana? We'd like to avoid the cost and hassle of car rental although that may be the quickest?

If, instead, we head for Pico Duarte, where should we head from POP? Just Santiago (via bus?)? Or could we make it the same day (probably taxi or hitch) to Mata Grande or Jarabacoa/La Cienaga?

Does anyone know the difference between the La Cienaga trail and the Mata Grande Trail on Pico duarte? If guides are required and enforced we hope to just meet another group and tag along with their guide to get us through the park entrance at least. Is that possible?

Thanks for any answers, advice or ideas.