can you suggest some good/fun dr music?

RunnerBabe

Mar 6, 2004
hello,

can anyone suggest some really good dr music? i'm wanting to get into it, but don't really know where to begin. i started off with aventura, probably because they were a little different (and they triggered good memories of my wicked trip). when i was there a few weeks ago, i made the error of not jotting down any of the artists or songs, and not buying any cds.

i know it's a broad question, but i'm totally open to all suggestions. i'm into fun and catchy stuff, but the odd ballad is great as long as it isn't too whiny. who and nothing too influenced by "north american" music. i get enough of that here!

RunnerBabe

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Well it all depends if you would want to hear some of nowadays Merengues or the Classics which by the way are the ones most Dominicans preffer.

Take Fernandito Villalona's "La LLuvia", "La Cartita", "El Polvorete", "La Hamaquita", "Tabaco Y Ron" etc.

Take Charlie Rodriguez's "El Guardia del Arsenal", "Si Yo Tuviera Un Palacio", "Colorao", etc.

Take Ramon Orlando, Benny Sadel, Jochy Hernandez, Alex Bueno, Johnny Ventura, El Conjunto Quisqueya, Los Kenton, Dioni Fernandez y El Equipo, The New York Band, Los Toros Band, Jossie Esteban Y La Patrulla 15, Los Hijos del Rey, Millie Josselyn y Los Vecinos, Los Paimasi, and too many others to list here...

Today you have Krisspy, Tono Rosario, Aguakate, And a bunch of others that rarely make any sense at all when playing in concerts or publi venues, Merengue is not what it used to be, or better put the Merengueros of today lack what yesterday's Bands had by the handful: Real Talent!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
These are mainly all bachatas that are newer/more modern but some I enjoy are:
Frank Reyes: Nada de Nada, Adolecente: I have his Dejame Entrar en Ti cd that I bought in the Dominican Republic and has these songs on there plus many more I enjoy.
Monchy y Alexandra: I really like Dos Locos (de amor), Perdoname, and others.
El Gringo de la Bachata: Gringo Muere de Doler, etc
Luis Vargas: Ay mi madre, La otra, etc

I am tired of thinking/typing but there are many more I like: Joe Vera, Zacaria Ferreira, Tony Rosario, Yoskar, Raulin Rodriguez, and others too numerous to mention.
I absolutely love Asi te amo by Elvis Martinez as well. The post above mentions some artists/songs that I do not know nearly as well as these artists but should check out more since I like Merengue and Bachata and probably should try to check out the classics. I have only been into mainly Bachata for about 1.5 years.
dale7(Howard)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Music choices

Dear dale7,

You say you are new to bachata but I just have to tell you have GOOD taste. Bravo! You hit some big names and I am glad to know that you are listening to works of Frank Reyes...tu tenias quince anos cuando yo te conoci...yo los dieciseis cumplidos... Surely you recognize this song "Adolecente". Beware Frank's new album will be released on March 30. It's called" Cuando se quiere se puede". He's says it's his best ever. That will be incredible because all his albums are "volando alto". I love all the bachatas on "Dejame entrar en ti" especially Nada de Nada, No te olvides de mi and Dejame entrar en ti. You also mentioned El Gringo de la bachata- impressive because he does not get the popularity nor recognition that he deserves. I have all his albums and no regrets. Especially his latest release- song #9-A esos hombres I hit repeat all the time. Anyway I could go on forever, I don't want bore you. I just wanted to recognize your good taste. Feel free to send me a public or private email if you want to know some more bachata singers and albums.

Take care,

Lesley D

dale7 said:
These are mainly all bachatas that are newer/more modern but some I enjoy are:
Frank Reyes: Nada de Nada, Adolecente: I have his Dejame Entrar en Ti cd that I bought in the Dominican Republic and has these songs on there plus many more I enjoy.
Monchy y Alexandra: I really like Dos Locos (de amor), Perdoname, and others.
El Gringo de la Bachata: Gringo Muere de Doler, etc
Luis Vargas: Ay mi madre, La otra, etc

I am tired of thinking/typing but there are many more I like: Joe Vera, Zacaria Ferreira, Tony Rosario, Yoskar, Raulin Rodriguez, and others too numerous to mention.
I absolutely love Asi te amo by Elvis Martinez as well. The post above mentions some artists/songs that I do not know nearly as well as these artists but should check out more since I like Merengue and Bachata and probably should try to check out the classics. I have only been into mainly Bachata for about 1.5 years.
dale7(Howard)

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
This is heresy...but

I know Onions and Carrots will be coming after me, but bachata sounds better and better all the time, at least much better than merengue. However, I always suggest the newest stuff as opposed to oldies like Pichardo has suggested. Merengue oldies never sound as good as salsa oldies.

The hottest thing in merengue right now is by Grupo "Staff". I just go crazy with their version of "Baila Morena", a parody of Hector and Tito's regetton. I think this merengue is so catchy that would make everybody sing as well as dance it, specially if you know the words from the Hector and Tito song and now you get to practice it with merengue.
The versions of "Barco a la Deriva" by anybody, including Villalona always sound good. This is one the catchiest songs ever. But the hottest version now is a fast and furious bachata of the same song. You can get this song in salsa, merengue, bachata and ballads. Marc Anthony's version even won him awards. Victor Manuelles' newest "Tengo Ganas" follows a long string of great hits by this young artist. Anything by Grupo Niche, from oldies to their newest is absolutely great. My favorite Niche song is "Ganas".
Songs that have the word "veneno" are always hot. Bachateros use it often, including Zacarias Ferreira in "Amiga Veneno".
I recommend Tego Calderon's CD "El Enemy De Los Guasabiri".
Marc Anthony's CD "Celos" is a must.
Others I recommend:
"En Vivo 30 Aniversario" Raphy Leavitt Y La Selecta (VI Music)
"Mas Flow" Lunytunes & Noriega (VI Music)
"Hombres De Honor" Grupo Mania (Universal Latino)
"The Mix" Monchy & Alexandra (J&N/Sony Discos
And the latest by Gilberto Santa Rosa always sounds good.
Golo

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
When I was in BC and SD, 2 weeks ago, Aventura's "Love and Hate" cd was blaring everywhere, all the time. And I mean BLARING. And I still bought the cd.Very catchy tunes, IMHO.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Aventura!

I was refusing to get into the new bachata wave and Techo-bachata sounds(Aventura, Elvis Martinez, etc) but when I was there they played them both so, so much that I ended up buying both CD's and now love them both.

The #7 cut on Aventura's CD (Te Invito) is the best one. From their old CD I loved Ense?ame a Olvidarte (which at the time this song could have made me cut my veins and what not!) - then again, dont MOST bachatas make you want to throw things around and get all melancholic and even pissed??

Ahh, the blues...

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
#7?

Talldrink isn't # 7 Deja Vu? I love that song I think Te Invito is after that. It's the Love & Hate cd right?

RunnerBabe there is so much great music out there. I'm really into bachata now. When I first started hearing it I was like "what the hell is that" Now I love the stuff, not all of it mind you. Have you heard the Langosta song? I can't get enough of that silly song. What have you got so far?

Minni

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Bachata is a heartbroken's/drunk's music (amargue), therefore it will lead you to squander any fortune that you might have, as well as to lose dignity, self respect or respect to others.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Oh well, I like Bachata anyways, Merengue y Salsa, tambien. In the US I listen to country music which deals with losing your love, drinking, etc along with blues/blues rock, so Bachata fits right in nicely. Give me Stevie Ray Vaughan: the greatest musician/song writer this world has every seen, in my opinion, Louis Armstrong, BB King, and George Strait along with my Bachata music and I am in heaven.
dale7(Stevie Ray Vaughan was a demigod)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Bachata music

Oche,

I think you are definitely exaggerating. Amargue it may be indeed but it never crossed my mind to drink or to do anything that I may regret. Actually quite the opposite because if you listen to the lyrics of most bachata it just tells a story about everday life. Jeez then everybody on the planet should call it quits from your point of view.

Oche said:
Bachata is a heartbroken's/drunk's music (amargue), therefore it will lead you to squander any fortune that you might have, as well as to lose dignity, self respect or respect to others.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Other bachata singers that we did not discuss

Talldrink,

I keep forgetting to ask you what about these bachata singers:

Alex Bueno,
He Pepo
Juan Manuel

Do you like their music? Do you have any of their cd's?

Talldrink said:
I was refusing to get into the new bachata wave and Techo-bachata sounds(Aventura, Elvis Martinez, etc) but when I was there they played them both so, so much that I ended up buying both CD's and now love them both.

The #7 cut on Aventura's CD (Te Invito) is the best one. From their old CD I loved Ense?ame a Olvidarte (which at the time this song could have made me cut my veins and what not!) - then again, dont MOST bachatas make you want to throw things around and get all melancholic and even pissed??

Ahh, the blues...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Alex of course!

I only have Alex and thats because he's an icon with EVERYTHING he touches - too bad crack is wack and he cant get it together (just like Fernandito, one of my favs as well.) I like him with salsa, merengue and of course bachata. I dont own any of his current cd's but thats because his stuff is so played on the radio. he is in some compilations that I have though.

I heard of the others, He Pepo dont like. what does the other have that I might remember?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I am not recommending this song or anything but have just been listening to it and it was quite fast.............Los Hermanos Rosario - Cintura de Fuego.

You can have a right good laugh dancing to the fast ones especially if you are new to it all. What other popular fast ones would you suggest for a party?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Any old merengue from Antony Santos and anything from Los Rosarios is good - move it!

Right now Amarfis, and the new wave merengue is pretty fast...

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I just tried Anthony Santos - Dosis De Amor, that is definately not a fast one ;) . Do you know the song titles of any faster ones?

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
and the Tipico...

If you are looking to get that party moving you should get some Perico Ripiao - El Prodigio, Giovanny Polanco, and others