sosua condo/apartment

teekayn

Mar 8, 2004
hi.
could anyone offer advice on buying vacation property in sosua. i would like to know (since i have seen some various postings) what people have to say about the town. would they recommed it? as i was looking at some of the apartment/condos in the areas near the caribe campo and trade winds does anyone have any info on these units? they seem to be reasonable in price is there a reason why they are selling this low compared to other caribbean destinations? thanks in advance for any advice.
teekayn.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
teekayn said:
hi.
could anyone offer advice on buying vacation property in sosua. i would like to know (since i have seen some various postings) what people have to say about the town. would they recommed it? as i was looking at some of the apartment/condos in the areas near the caribe campo and trade winds does anyone have any info on these units? they seem to be reasonable in price is there a reason why they are selling this low compared to other caribbean destinations? thanks in advance for any advice.
teekayn.
I own a couple of vacation properties in Sosua. Prices have actually been rising from the ashes in the last year or so. There are a lot of people here that own in those two places and I am sure someone will talk to you about it. I looked at 2 1-bedroom condos at Tradewinds that I wouldn't want to live in. They looked horrible. I am sure that others there are nicer. They were asking 25k and I said I would pay only 15k for them but they didn't take the offer. Location, condition and ammenities have a lot to do with the price here in town. You may see some cheap prices but when you view them hold onto your hat and your tongue so it doesn't hit the floor. The few I have seen at Caribe Campo club were nice.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I love real estate as much as women and money:)

Scott`

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
teekayn said:
is there a reason why they are selling this low compared to other caribbean destinations? thanks in advance for any advice.
teekayn.

The north coast of the DR is just being discovered by Americans and Canadians wealthy enough to afford a vacation home in the DR. Because they are now buying in increasing numbers, prices are on the way up. What you pay today will be more than you would have paid 6 months ago, and if you wait for 6 months, the price may be out of your reach. If you are seriously interested in having a vacation home here, you will be well advised not to wait.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sosua is OK in itself but it DOES have Escott staying there & buying up most of the town. Marco, Ken, Chris, Sandeep etc are all decent guys to chat to, all Escott does is to buy you lunch, help you get to know the town & generally settle you in to a new way of life!!! Seriously, he is a great guy - he keeps on telling us that, so it MUST be true!!
(How are you Scotty? Was New York pleased to see you back?)

For information on Caribe Campo have a word with Chris Tremain (find one of his posts on DR1 & then PM or e-mail him). He has bought a property there & is now helping to run their marketing programme. If you have difficulty in getting hold of him, drop me a line & I'll get him to contact you!!

Was over there last week taking in a friend (female from Canada) & I must admit I loved the layout. Really relaxing & the new owners appear to have great ideas for the future!! Chris will fill you in I am sure.

Good luck but be VERY careful as to which lawyer you chose once you have decided to buy a property - some are SERIOUS rogues!! We have a couple of safe ones over here in Puerto Plata if you don't feel ultra confident with those you speak to over in Sosua. - Grahame.

teekayn

Mar 8, 2004
thanks so far.

any advice on a good lawyer and real estate agent/company? this would be my first venture into buying property outside north america and do not want to make any mistakes.

teekayn

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I use Juan Perdomo Century 21 and Ina is the broker I use there. Dean and Martin also are brokers there and I like both of them and look at them as friends. A3T Realty's Taylor is a decent guy and of course I like Jim Belair of American Realty as well.

My 1 peso.

Scott

I use Guido Perdomo for a real estate attorney.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I have a condo in Caribe Campo

About two weeks ago they had their owner meeting and I was there. Caribe Campo is a old hotel (all-inclusive) that the owners (Renalto, Jens) want to turn into the premier residential community in Sosua.

There have been some problems in the transition (no more front desk, some of the best workers have left) but the good news is there are REAL security guards and they are starting to get their act together.

Also, Perdomo is the best, I agree.

Here is my place and there are some maps for location. I heard a guy bought and sold and in six month got 40% back on his money CaribeCampo).

My Condo

Bottom line is Cabarete is 100% sold out, SeaHorse just raised their lots to 85$ per Sq meter (two years ago was $50.00) and are basically also sold out!! The move is going west (and if that secret Sosua golf course ever materializes, watch out!!) and Sosua is next.

As for why cheap, well, it is still the best (last?) bargain in the Caribbean and people (Americans) are just beginning to hear about it :)

I use Josiphina (only female broker in the area and a real tiger), she specializes in Cabarete (what a zoo over there).

Josiphina

Singletravel

teekayn

Mar 8, 2004
nice condo. thanks for advise. we are seriously looking and like what we've seen. do you know much about the smaller units? we will be starting small since it is our first venture. is there any negatives that we should look out for? also the complex used to be all inclusive right? is there plans to keep any of the facilities open as far as bars or restaurants (obviously i mean as a pay for service) or is it all changing? again thanks to all who has replied. your information is very valuable.
teekayn.