Brugal in Toronto

Drgirl

Oct 30, 2002
Does anyone know if Brugal can be bought anywhere in T.O., or anywhere nearby. thanx

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nope

Drgirl said:
Does anyone know if Brugal can be bought anywhere in T.O., or anywhere nearby. thanx

I asked the LCBO and not even Vintages has it. Bring plenty back - even with the duties and LCBO markup it is cheap.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
There is a store here in Niagara Falls, NY that sells Brugal. It sits right next to the Media Play on Niagara Falls Blvd. I think it is called liquor supermarket or something like that.

Jerry

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
ricktoronto said:
I asked the LCBO and not even Vintages has it. Bring plenty back - even with the duties and LCBO markup it is cheap.
Lets start a movement to get Brugal, Barcello, Bermudez or even Macroix
into Ontario. If anyone has an jdea as to the proper channels to go through
I am in . Surely with 700,000 odd Canadians visiting every year, and I assume a good portion of these are from Ontario We should be able to accomplish this. After Dominican amber rum Bacardi does not cut it any more.
If You look at all the lame brands of Imported Rum they do carry it seems a shame . The only Rum that was even close was Servailles and They discountinued it last summer . Do not jump on Me as to the analogy, My opinion .

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
They Won't Do It, But Good Luck

carsey700 said:
Lets start a movement to get Brugal, Barcello, Bermudez or even Macroix
into Ontario. If anyone has an jdea as to the proper channels to go through
I am in . Surely with 700,000 odd Canadians visiting every year, and I assume a good portion of these are from Ontario We should be able to accomplish this. After Dominican amber rum Bacardi does not cut it any more.
If You look at all the lame brands of Imported Rum they do carry it seems a shame . The only Rum that was even close was Servailles and They discountinued it last summer . Do not jump on Me as to the analogy, My opinion .

The distributor has to ask the LCBO to bring it in. They are retailers of stuff people bring in or produce here. If Brugal doesn't want to the LCBO won't do it. I go there 6-9 times a year and I don't bring any back , maybe I should then sell it here.

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
Fta/dr-ca

canada and dr had been working on a bilateral trade deal before failure of recent FTAA. once fta is signed between dr and usa, look for dr and canada to recommence their fta bilateral agreement. then we'll get some gold. forget it until then. there's some archaic deal due to british trade preferential agreement whereby jamaican rum and that bacardi crap the bronfman family made has preference.

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Hlywud said:
Good Luck

I have lots :cheeky:
Thanx wud for rubbing it in, not once but twice, jeez You really know how to hurt a Guy.

I am curious ? what would be the duty etc. to declare overages at customs upon re-entry to Canada, as I have so far been afraid to sneak in more than the 1.14 litres allowed . The thoughts of good Rum being confiscated is more than I could bear. Ricktoronto any idea ? Lets all hope the agreement comes quickly, although it appears to be unlikely for a while.
I have got friends heading back on March 20 and will try to prevail upon them to bring more. If the duty plus whatever is reasonable I will get it without asking them to sneak more than their limit in . Also have a chap that I brought back a bottle for last week, who is purchasing a house between Cabarete and Sousua, after a 9 year absence in DR will be returning to live there again and I can possibly ask Him to return the favour .Got to build up
supply's before Summer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Is anyone ever going to try Barcelo Imperial for a change?? ever????
I see that tourists come here and become so impressed with Bachata, brugal,ugly hookers and animation low life sankies. This is all "chopo" stuff. No decent dominican would order a brugal unless he is short on cash.
If you folks really like to try a decent premium tasting rum, try "Barcelo Imperial".

Larry my man, thanks for bringing me that bottle.
AZB

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Call and ask them maybe?

carsey700 said:
Thanx wud for rubbing it in, not once but twice, jeez You really know how to hurt a Guy.

I am curious ? what would be the duty etc. to declare overages at customs upon re-entry to Canada, as I have so far been afraid to sneak in more than the 1.14 litres allowed . The thoughts of good Rum being confiscated is more than I could bear. Ricktoronto any idea ?

There is duty, GST, LCBO markup and excise tax. Part of the cost is based on alcohol content and part on the price (which is pretty minor for DR rum).

There is also a limit on total quantity per person without a permit, but that is at least a case (12).

I know that a good wine - 750 ml - can cost about $10 to $15 to bring in per bottle. Say worth $50 0r $60 CDN per bottle. Allowing for its higher cost but lower alcohol content, I'd GUESS a bottle of Brugal - 750 ml - would be no more than that. So US$4 at a colmado and CDN $10 - $15 here, you are doing OK .

More detail than that call CCRA (or CRA or whatever their new name is)

Confiscation comes with sneaking and not being willing to pay, so don't sneak.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I usually bring back six bottles and have never had a problem!

I even tell them I have rum to declare and will have to pay them this time ;) but I've never paid yet. They usually just grin, stamp my customs form and tell me to get outta there and have a nice day! Of course hubby is with me so that gives us four bottles between the two of us so guess they figure it ain't worth the hassle for two extra bottles. The kicker is hubby usually has six bottles with him also but they never ask him if he has anything to declare so he doesn't! :D
Now it's been a couple of years since we brought back any (just have too much on hand) but I don't imagine things have changed.
BTW AZB I only bring back Barcelo!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
AZB said:
If you folks really like to try a decent premium tasting rum, try "Barcelo Imperial".

AZB

Anytime brother. I definately like the Barcelo Imperial much better but I still use the Brugal to replenish my Mamajuana bottle. For those of you who make mamajuana, what rum do you put in it? I think the Barcelo would be too sweet.

Larry

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I used Bacardi Gold this time at 30 bucks a bottle :lick: It's still not as good as Dominican Rum. I've made it with molasses and I think I like it better.

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
AZB said:
I see that tourists come here and become so impressed with Bachata, brugal,ugly hookers and animation low life sankies. This is all "chopo" stuff. No decent dominican would order a brugal unless he is short on cash.

AZB
Not into hookers ugly or not, not into bachata but like merinque, to old to keep up with anamation teams, have tried Imperial with no mix or ice, I like Rum and coke with a splash of lime, Brugal extra veigo or Barcelo Gran Anejo
to cheap to ruin Imperial with coke .If no decent Dominican would drink Brugal or Barcelo , they seem to have done a very good con job on the masses.
Thanks for the info Rick, I think I will give CCRA a call Monday, If I can actually talk to a person and not voice mail I will report .Also got e-mail
from hlywud as to duty etc. thanx all.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with AZB.

AZB said:

AZB

I live here and the only Rum I drink is "Barcelo Imperial" The rest of the stuff is Dominican Gasoil................It hurts me to agree with AZB.

Gringo

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Just a Thought

Drgirl said:

I am coming back on the 20th - do you want be to buy a liter for you and you can come get it? I will have to figure out a way to wear my cape and mask to keep my secret identity ,well, secret, but I always have room in my carry-on as I leave more dwon there than I bring back. I am assuming you're in Toronto, BTW.