Commentary on yesterday's "Good News at Supermarkets" HAH!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh my oh my! I just got back from picking up a hysterical Mrs HB at Price Smart.

About five months ago, we re-structured our buying habits. One big buy at Price Smart, and the daily stuff, like veggies and meats on a daily basis. As some of you may know a LOT of people eat at the Hovel every day, so the numbers might seem high.

The first major purchase at Price Smart was a little over RD$6000. the Next was a bit over RD$7000, then RD$9000, last month was just a bit over RD$10,000. TODAY was RD$12,865!!!!!!!

The kicker was that Mrs HB didn't even buy everything on the list, like the 2 liters of Extra Virgin Olive Oil...BUT she buys the same things the same quantity every month.. That is nearly 80-90% up from just five months ago. this is criminal...She told me that everyone was saying such nice things about his baldness and his government!! But this is a really shook lady, let me tell you...

The one thing she has been saying over and over again was that the big can of cooking oil went trom RD$600 pesos to RD$1250 in one month!.....

I'm gonna have to get out there and find me some road kill if this keeps up!!

HB, who imagines that this is occuring all over the place....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You are not exaggerating. Most things have tripled, or at least doubled in the last year or so.

2l bottle of soda Enriquillo is now RD$40 (used to cost RD$20)
Washing up sponges that used to cost 6 or 7 pesos now cost about RD$30.
Yogurts (local, not imported) have gone up from RD$9 to RD$18 since October.

etc etc.

And we thought our bills would go down when Chirimoyito stopped using pampers...

Chiri

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
What's the price on Presidentes these days. When I was there in Dec/Jan the large ones were $34 in the regular colmados or $40 in the more expensive neighborhoods.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was surprised by the article yesterday, also. Maybe a few things, like the fresh vegetables mentioned, have come down, but hard to notice when the bill is totaled.

Certainly the prices are way up on the trucks that come around selling vegetables and fruit. The high price of gas (that is always a favorite with vendors) is the reason, they say, for the big jump in their prices.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anyone wants to start an equestrian renting agency. Think about it. Soon, many people wont be able to afford to drive their gas guzzling cars, and bam, the horses are in style again. Let them roam in some field, let them eat the abundant grass, and begin making $$$$$. Horses, it could be lucrative :cool:

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Guys! Are you trying to scare new comers?

:smoke:
Hillbilly said:
Oh my oh my! I just got back from picking up a hysterical Mrs HB at Price Smart.

About five months ago, we re-structured our buying habits. One big buy at Price Smart, and the daily stuff, like veggies and meats on a daily basis. As some of you may know a LOT of people eat at the Hovel every day, so the numbers might seem high.

The first major purchase at Price Smart was a little over RD$6000. the Next was a bit over RD$7000, then RD$9000, last month was just a bit over RD$10,000. TODAY was RD$12,865!!!!!!!

The kicker was that Mrs HB didn't even buy everything on the list, like the 2 liters of Extra Virgin Olive Oil...BUT she buys the same things the same quantity every month.. That is nearly 80-90% up from just five months ago. this is criminal...She told me that everyone was saying such nice things about his baldness and his government!! But this is a really shook lady, let me tell you...

The one thing she has been saying over and over again was that the big can of cooking oil went trom RD$600 pesos to RD$1250 in one month!.....

I'm gonna have to get out there and find me some road kill if this keeps up!!

HB, who imagines that this is occuring all over the place....

Hi guys,
Are you trying to scare away new comers with all this information about prices and the situation in the DR?
Is it really so expensive and difficult to live in the DR? How do the people manage to survive? All I read is that the administration is corrupt, the prices are high and rising, the crime rate is increasing, electricity problems everywhere, undrinkable water, petrol shortages, insecure environment for investment, etc. If it is so bad, why do you guys stay there?
I'll be coming to the DR this summer to spend few years of my life and what you say about life there scares me to death.
One more thing: any idea about the prices of tobacco (cigarrettes and cigars) and what brands are available? I know that RD is famous for it's cigars, do they have local brands of cigarrettes?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For those with hard currency, there is no problem. The exchange rate means you are paying the same or less for products priced in pesos. The higher prices affect those who earn in pesos.

How can people manage to survive? Good question.

Chiri