The Best of the DR!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I would like to know what every DR1 member likes the best of the DR. Please give up to 5 things that you like best about the DR, something that many other countries can't or won't offer and then give a breaf explanation of why you like whatever it is that rocks your boat of the DR!

carsey700

Dec 5, 2003
Nal0whs said:
I would like to know what every DR1 member likes the best of the DR. Please give up to 5 things that you like best about the DR, something that many other countries can't or won't offer and then give a breaf explanation of why you like whatever it is that rocks your boat of the DR!
1; people
2; rum
3; weather
4; beer
5; prices
6;lack of structure and political correctness i.e. no b@llsh!t much like We used to be before tree hugging, granola crunching, do-gooders took over .

Overall it is for Me a place that I enjoy going to because of all the above reasons and many more . I have not decided after doing a fair bit of travelling on north and south coast which I like better so I will be back next year and the year after and the year after that to see the Samana and PC/
Bavarro area or maybe Baharona and then the interior . When I decide and My wife is ready to retire or stop being so dedicated to work We will no doubt become Dominican Republic snowbirds Dec to April either buying or renting . The Older I get ,the less I enjoy winter I must sell My snowmobile and spend more time in DR.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
1. Inexpensive to live in the Carribean.

2. Inexpensive to live in the Carribean.

3. Inexpensive to live in the Carribean.

4. Inexpensive to live in the Carribean.

5. Inexpensive to live in the Carribean.

I can get people, beer, rum, weather and who the hell needs the uncivilized way of life with this political incorrectness to enjoy life anywhere else I would consider living.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Best

1. Sitting at a colmado and drinking Presidents while munching on Plantanitos and watching baseball on TV with merengue playing in the background.
2. Going to a live Dominican baseball game.
3. Smoking a good cigar in the colonial zone
4. Playing Playa Grande golf course
5. snorkeling off that little island near Punta Rucia

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Nal0whs said:

1) no other country can offer me solace when I'm feeling blue as the DR can. The instant I set foot at that airport I am home, truly home. As much as I love the US, I cannot find peace here.

2) The people are genuine, a smile goes a long way. (not talking about sankies, I never actually met one)

3) The weather, the parties, the late night dinners, the pasadias with my childhood friends el campo, the beach....

4) I can eat and drink all I want and not put on a pound!!!! Not so here. I need to constantly watch what I eat to stay at a size 6.

5) Returning to the home where I was born is a special treat.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
5 best things about the DR. From 5th to 1st.

5) LACK OF STRUCTURE AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS. After being molded into an American robot where I am led around by the dick and told where to go and why and how to do it and what to say and what to think, etc., the DR is a wonderfully refreshing change. I like being able to go through the day and not worry what time it is, if I am driving too fast, if I offended someone, etc. Even with all the little annoying things that come with this, the DR is what I think a society should be.

4) CLIMATE. I hate cold weather. The hotter the better. I love DR climate.

3) WOMEN. I love the way the DR women act. I love the way they accentuate their sexuality and are proud of it. I love they way they accept a compliment with grace and class and dignity. I love the way they know how to warm up to a man. I love the fact that they enjoy sex and are not ashamed of it. I love the fact that they are not on snotty power trips like so many American women.

2) PRICES. I love the fact that I could live on 1/4 of what I need in the USA and live a much happier life in doing so.

1)PEOPLE IN GENERAL. Now that I have spent a significant amout of time away from tourist areas and have associated with so many REAL Dominicans, I don't think I have encountered happier, friendly, more hospitable people in my life. What happened to us in the United States???

Larry

Last edited:

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
OH, I can give you 100 and more!!

1. Like Forbeca said, It is HOME to me. In my heart, DR will always be home.
2. The happy spirit and laid back disposition my people have 24/7!
3. That you can have the BEST meal right at the beach.
4. That I can go dancing 7 days a week and anytime - everyday is a party ANYWHERE (en el colmado, la playa, la esquina, el juego, en la galeria, I can go on....)
5. You can get Presidente with your value meal at McDonalds. Nobody in the States believes me, this shows just how important Dominican Water (AKA Presidente) is for the Dominican.

SONIA

Sep 3, 2003
I Love Dr !

1/ DR is a real medicament (medicine) if you feel bad / sad / stressed / sick ...
2/ people in general, smiling, simple, friendly
3/ music everywhere, parties, fiestaaaa
4/ life is not expensive
5/ sun / beach / ocean ...

i miss DR !!!!!!!

sonia

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
1) the valuable lessons that you learn while living there such as: material possessions don't make you a better person, it's not the end of the world when you don't have hot water or lights, you just learn to adapt to the situation, that people who have the least - give the most.

2) the smiles, the laughter - everywhere, anytime.

3) people opening their hearts and homes to complete strangers and giving you the sense that you could never be lonely in what has become a very cold and calculating world.

4) working with people who give it their all, have fun doing what they do and never sweat the small stuff.

5) the opportunity to make friends with people from all over the world and all walks of life.

okay, okay and...

6) the sun, sand, Constanza menthol cigs, Presidente grandes, Barcello Anejo, fried plantanos (sp) and fabulous meals at La Parillida (sp)!!!

I really could go on and on and on !!!!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What would this world be like if there was never a DR?

It would have probably been something close to Hell, especially for those that have been enwrapped, captivated, and incorporated into a spirit called DOMINICANIDAD!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I live here for the delicious white rice and beans. God, how do they make it so delicious without even putting in the salt? :confused:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Here's my five unique to this country, UNIQUE.

1) Cafe Santo Domingo.
2) The road from Hato Mayor to Sabana Del Mar.
3) Daiana's little baby girl, has never asked me for money, never.
4) The fish soup over by La Plaza De Los Pescadores. Fish soup and bread!!!!!
5) The theatre that's kickstarting in City Of Dreams every time a batch of naive
tourists arrive on the scene and the hookers start trading their tits on the commodity market. That's real funny. "Regalas me eine bierra sil vous plait, por favor mi amor".

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is the thing with the terminology when it comes to the Caribbean.

The Caribbean refers to the island archipelago that extends from Cuba all the way to Trinidad. The Netherland Antilles are technically not part of the Caribbean island chain, but they are included non the less. The same applies to the Bahamas, The Turks and Caicos, even Bermuda (out in the Atlantic Ocean somewhere) is often included under the name "The Caribbean".

That's why people can say that they live in the Caribbean even if the sea washing upon their immediate shore may be the Atlantic Ocean. The idea is that the islands are part of the Caribbean more so, than the Atlantic Ocean. That's why Escott and many other people say they live in the Caribbean, even on the north coast of the Dominican Republic.

While I'm at it, another thing to keep in mind when refering to Geography is that North America the Continent extends from Alaska to the Panama Canal and includes the islands of the Caribbean but excludes Hawaii. However, when people talk about "North America" that only pertains to Canada and the USA (including Hawaii) and also Mexico (known as North America's Deep South due to it's economic malaise). Mexico is also known as an NIC or Newly Industrialized Countries meaning, in technical terms Mexico is not considered poor anymore. That is all technical, reality is a different story of course. Also, Central America officially is a sub-name for the isthmus extending south of Mexico but north of Colombia and includes the islands as well. But, in general terms, when people talk about Central America or Banana Republics, they usually are refering to the isthmus excluding the island which are general known as "The Caribbean". South America is known like that in official and general terms and it's the entire peace of land south of the Caribbean.

Also, (once I start is hard to stop but I must say) Anglo-America only pertains to the USA and Canada. Latin America only pertains to countries in the Western Hemisphere that at one point were a colony of a Latin based country (either Portugal, Spain, France or Italy). So, if a country speaks spanish, portuguese, french, or italian and still has a significant influence from it's mother country it's consider part of Latin America.

And (this is the last one, I promise) the word Hispanic pertains to people that either come from or are decendents of Spaniards. Hispanic derives from the Latin name of Spain which is Hispania. The island of Hispaniola (where the DR is located) means the Spanish Island or the island that belongs to Spain. A Latino is an American name for anyone that comes from Latin countries in the Hemisphere (excluding Portugal, Spain, France, and Italy) and as promised, that is it. For now at least.