RE: Sea Horse Ranch

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
RE: Sea Horse Ranch

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some detalils (or inside stories/rumours) about owning and living permanently at the Sea Horse Ranch. I do not mean sales info, but more general about the management company, value of investment, the type of people living there, quality of life, activities, monthly cost of living in a development like that (Maids, electricity, water, maintenance) etc.

I am a 35 year old guy and experienced from expat-living on St. Lucia, on Trinidad, and in Rio. Also, I happen to be gay (but I would like to stress that no-one would notice that, and what goes on behind my walls is my business, and I do not make it anyones business ouitside my walls!, and, to avoid any misunderstandings I am not moving to DR for sex!!!), so any comment, if possible, on living there being "normal" but gay would also be very much appreciated.

Also, would anyone here know the approximate price for a BMW X5 in the DR?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gentleviking said:
I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some detalils (or inside stories/rumours) about owning and living permanently at the Sea Horse Ranch. I do not mean sales info, but more general about the management company, value of investment, the type of people living there, quality of life, activities, monthly cost of living in a development like that (Maids, electricity, water, maintenance) etc.

I am a 35 year old guy and experienced from expat-living on St. Lucia, on Trinidad, and in Rio. Also, I happen to be gay (but I would like to stress that no-one would notice that, and what goes on behind my walls is my business, and I do not make it anyones business ouitside my walls!, and, to avoid any misunderstandings I am not moving to DR for sex!!!), so any comment, if possible, on living there being "normal" but gay would also be very much appreciated.

Also, would anyone here know the approximate price for a BMW X5 in the DR?

It's the best gated community on the North Coast and one of the best in the DR. Some very wealthy Dominicans and foreigners own property in Sea Horse. It's beautiful, well kept and totally secure. No other gated community on the North Coast comes close to Sea Horse Ranch. Ok, enough of the sales pitch!

Is it a good investment? A couple of people I recently spoke to tell me that lots are scarce and they have recently increased their prices due to demand. I hear rentals are doing well, so for those people that rent their properties, they must be doing ok.

I know the monthly maintenance fees are not cheap, but not sure on exact pricing. I suppose you get what you pay for.

I know a few people that own properties in Sea Horse and one that?s building one right now and they all appear to be happy.

By the way, you will not be the only gay owner in Sea Horse :)

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks Robert! I am looking at a couple of re-sales there for just below one mill US. Would you are anyone know if the majority use their properties for vacation or all-year living? Meaning, is it a live community with habitants visiting the restaurant and bar and activities frequently, or is it mostly empty?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
gentleviking said:
Thanks Robert! I am looking at a couple of re-sales there for just below one mill US. Would you are anyone know if the majority use their properties for vacation or all-year living? Meaning, is it a live community with habitants visiting the restaurant and bar and activities frequently, or is it mostly empty?

It's a mix, but not sure of the %. When ever I have walked or driven round Sea Horse I have always seen people doing stuff, everyday life stuff.
I think people pretty much keep to themselves, like any small exclusive community.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
You may check out Perla Marina down the street from Sea Horse. It is very upscale too - houses aren't quite as expensive. Large lots. beautiful vegetation. a contractor has subdivided about 8 new lots recently and built gorgeous spec homes. each lot is surrounded by high coral wall. many of the owners live there full time, per a friend of mine who lives there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You're going to love the DR for the following short reasons:

1. It's a huge country by Caribbean standards and it's on one of the largest islands on earth (29,000 sq. miles).

2. Lots of stuff to see, do, and experience in every region.

3. It has a nice contrast of old last century living and modern 21st century.

4. The people are the nicest on earth.

5. The beauty of the island is spectacular. With pine covered 10,000 ft. mountains, cactus studded 140 below sea level depressions, ranch studded sprawling savannahs, and beautiful tropical and lush agricultural valleys makes this island awesome.

6. The island has a metropolis (Sto. Dgo.) that offers everything needed for life (simple or very superficial).

7. There is always a festive feeling everywhere on the island.

8. It's an island to consider investing in after the elections due to the economical habits of this country. (One decade economy booms, the next it busts, then it booms again, then it busts, etc.) The economy has hit rock bottom, so the only thing left is for it to boom.

9. Excellent place to live. The DR gives a totally new meaning to the word LIVING.

10. and of course, the weather.

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks a lot for all comments and advice... I hope for more :classic: Especially in terms of cost of living in an upscale development. Following are some rough estimates that I have calculated with after having read up on the internet lately. Any comments would be very appreciated

Monthly Expenses(USD)
Property Taxes (0.25% p.a. of Purchase Price) 1500
Maintenance & Community Fees 1500
Electricity & Water 1000
Help (1xPool & Garden, 2xMaid) 1000
Insurances 500
Telephones/Internet 500
Groceries 1000
Gasoline Car x2 400
Service Car x2 200
Satellite Subscription 50
Medical Insurance 100
Clothes/Misc. Shopping 3000
Entertainment 3000
Travel 3000

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just one thing

The DR has a little over 19,000 sq miles-the size of New hampshire or West (By God) Virginia.

Also, if those numbers are in dollars...like wow..no problem!!

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JanH said:
You may check out Perla Marina down the street from Sea Horse. It is very upscale too - houses aren't quite as expensive. Large lots. beautiful vegetation. a contractor has subdivided about 8 new lots recently and built gorgeous spec homes. each lot is surrounded by high coral wall. many of the owners live there full time, per a friend of mine who lives there.

Perla Marina is ok, but cannot in anyway be compared to Sea Horse Ranch.

zx7jimbo

Feb 25, 2004
gentleviking said:
Thanks a lot for all comments and advice... I hope for more :classic: Especially in terms of cost of living in an upscale development. Following are some rough estimates that I have calculated with after having read up on the internet lately. Any comments would be very appreciated

Monthly Expenses(USD)
Property Taxes (0.25% p.a. of Purchase Price) 1500
Maintenance & Community Fees 1500
Electricity & Water 1000
Help (1xPool & Garden, 2xMaid) 1000
Insurances 500
Telephones/Internet 500
Groceries 1000
Gasoline Car x2 400
Service Car x2 200
Satellite Subscription 50
Medical Insurance 100
Entertainment 3000
Travel 3000

MONTHLY!!!!! Holy smokes.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The island has 29,000 sq. miles - Second largest island in Caribbean.
The DR has about 19,000 sq. miles (roughly two thirds of the island). The DR is still larger than much of the Caribbean combined with the exception of Cuba. The DR is a place for people that like islands but also big open spaces. Enjoy!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm not too informed with the cost of luxury gated community living in the DR, not yet at least. But those prices appear to fit the lifestyle Sea Horse Ranch sells.

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
I realize that my estimate for monthly expenses is a lot of money. What I really would like is to get comments on each or some of the expenses posts... too much or to little for 1 pool/garden boy/man and 2 maids for example. Anyone here that can help?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, here is what I understand about luxury life in the DR:

1. You can forget about the property taxes. No body pays them, no official is going to take the time to get on his/her jeepeta, drive the 4 hour trip from Santo Domingo to Sea Horse Ranch, knock on your door and ask for the tax owed. It has not happened and chances of happening are very near to zero. No body pays property taxes unless you are within striking distance of the tax collectors home (usually higher income neighborhoods in Santo Domingo), and even some of these folks evade the tax deals. Welcome to Freedom!

2. Electricity and Water might be a bit over inflated but then again, I am not sure if you are talking yearly or monthly here. The bulk of the expenses will be on backup energy.

3. Whatever people will be Helping around your lot are going to be pretty happy folks. Thats about $250 per month. Not many maids earning that on this island.

4. Groceries will be much cheaper (depends on habits of course) due to the Dollar/peso exchange rate. Much of the foodstuff are imported or have U.S. made ingredients so when exchange rate goes up, the foodstuffs prices goes up also, but it gets kind of cheaper for people with access to dollars.

I have a question that will help the initial thread starter. How much on average are many Northcoasters spending per month (total or subdivided into a per item bases is up to you, but give a good estimate). Maybe this would help this gentlemen arrive to a conclusion, at least as the cost of living is concern.

Last edited:

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks a lot for that! That is the kind of info I am after. The electricity and water is per month... I hope someone will follow up on your question about Noth Coast monthly expenses. Again, Thanks a lot!

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Entertainment 3000
Travel 3000

US$9000 monthly for clothes/shopping/enterainment/travel?

This figure may well be correct, if you do your shopping in Paris twice a month.

gentleviking

Mar 12, 2004
Well, I go to Norway (where I am from) at least every 2 or three months... that is why my travel expenses are so high.

However, about the entertainment costs; what I enjoy is 2-3 times monthly at a concert, the opera, or theatre. All this being in Santo Domingo mean flight costs... I am not going to drive for 4 hours on pot hole roads... had enough of that on St. Lucia... In addition, 4-5 nights per week eating out, one or two times a month having friends over for dinner and cocktails etc. etc

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The full 4 hour trip from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo is not all potholed. It is a bit bumpy between Puerto Plata and Santiago, but after Santiago it's a smooth four lane super highway all the way to the Capital. I must say, the driving is eratic so maybe flying would be a good idea. Santiago (about 2 hours over the mountains from Puerto Plata) has a theatre and cultural attractions. The traditional old money elites (landholding direct decendents of the first Spaniards, etc.) live in Santiago so that could be a closer option to your new residence.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
JanH said:
Oh goodness. Perla Marina is not a nice place. I would NOT even think about buying a rental there. Those lots you are talking about are NOT nice lots.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
gentleviking said:
Thanks a lot for that! That is the kind of info I am after. The electricity and water is per month... I hope someone will follow up on your question about Noth Coast monthly expenses. Again, Thanks a lot!
If you are considering buying a home for just under a million US you shouldn't be concerning yourself with the cost of electric. Or am I missing something?