Cancer Rapant in DR

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
If this has been discussed before, direct me the right way...

Since there are so many researchers here, what is the cancer rate in DR. I think I hear of more people in DR with dying cancer than anywhere else!

Does anyone have any statistics they want to share?
Any clues as to why so much cancer?

Lets open this for discussion...

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I have never noticed it. In fact, I don't recall that I have ever known anyone here who had cancer. Of course, I live in an area where there are a good number of younger families.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Talldrink said:
If this has been discussed before, direct me the right way...

Since there are so many researchers here, what is the cancer rate in DR. I think I hear of more people in DR with dying cancer than anywhere else!

TallDrink,
Are you trying to be deliberately confrontational???? Where do you get the idea that "Cancer is Rampant" in the DR??? I have heard of far less cases of cancer here than in most other countries!!! Myth & Rumour abound here & it does not baud well with me if damaging & scaring comments such as your headline start to worry would be incoming tourists & immigrators!!

Even our most contentious & argumentitive posters normally supply some statistics to support their claims - could you not do the same?? As you request the 'Sharing of statistical information', I take it you have only word of mouth to back up your statement that "Cancer is Rampant" in the DR!! NOT the most reliable of information to make catagorical statements here in the DR - Honest!!!! - Grahame.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Tall",just list your sources and we will proceed.

If you are just speculating,you should say so! You might search any internet search Engine for;"Cancer Rates Dominican Republic" and see what you get.CC

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Let's Not

Talldrink said:

Hey great another anecdotal "fact" like the semi annual "AIDS is higher in the DR than everywhere because I heard it on Rush Limbaugh" etc.

Request: If you want to post saying there's more cancer (which I assume is what your new word "Rapant" means, unless that's French or something) in place X than the rest of the world, how about this:

YOU post the statistics and the source vs. saying it is the case instead of asking other people for evidence to support YOUR rumour.

So let's not open this for discussion, let's put it with the other conspiracies in the rubbish bin. You've got enough posts to not be so silly you know.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
BushBaby said:
TallDrink,
Are you trying to be deliberately confrontational???? Where do you get the idea that "Cancer is Rampant" in the DR??? I have heard of far less cases of cancer here than in most other countries!!! Myth & Rumour abound here & it does not baud well with me if damaging & scaring comments such as your headline start to worry would be incoming tourists & immigrators!!

Even our most contentious & argumentitive posters normally supply some statistics to support their claims - could you not do the same?? As you request the 'Sharing of statistical information', I take it you have only word of mouth to back up your statement that "Cancer is Rampant" in the DR!! NOT the most reliable of information to make catagorical statements here in the DR - Honest!!!! - Grahame.
Lighten up Grahame she only asked a question, Cancer rampant in DR was preceded by? I think she was just wondering out loud.
BTY do immigrators come already shredded. :p
Terry.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I Hear the Moon is Made of Green Cheese!

TERRY said:
Lighten up Grahame she only asked a question, Cancer rampant in DR was preceded by? I think she was just wondering out loud.
BTY do immigrators come already shredded. :p
Terry.

Well actually she asked a question, made a baseless assumption, asked another question and made another baseless assumption, viz:

Q: Since there are so many researchers here, what is the cancer rate in DR.
BA: I think I hear of more people in DR with dying cancer than anywhere else! (this is actually a qualified BA since she "thinks" she hears of the actual BA)
Q: Does anyone have any statistics they want to share?
BA: Any clues as to why so much cancer?

Followed by a request for a discussion , well she got that, just not about the baseless assumptions but about the pointlessness of posting scary health "facts". Even some Google research might have prevented the thread, hopefully locking it is next. It's no better than the AIDS posts which are also mostly BA's.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
You Think the Cancer rate in the DR is high? That is nothing compared to the Death Rate.
Yes. I have heard from a friend of mine who's cousin's girlfriend's Uncle is a Doctor that almost 98% of the people in the DR will die! My God! 98%!!

Where is the World Health Organization? Where is the CDC?
That Damn George Bush is cutting funds on purpose just so th drug Companies can make Millions of Dollars.
Actually I heard that Death was created by the US Military in secret back in the 60's to keep the Black and Latino population in control.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
My bad...

If the moderator wants to change the title of my thread - go ahead. Im the first one to say, "Dont scare the tourists away."

Like Terry said, I just asked a question and it is based on rumors - I NEVER SAID I HAD FACTS - thats why I posted the question in the first place. You all make assumptions too quickly. There are people here who are willing to research the iron and the icebox, others who will post a 10 page letter abut the history of a small pueblo but are not willing to look into other matters. I didnt say I had any facts. The reason for my post: there are FIVE people in my family alone that I hear have died of cancer and one more is fighting it and 3 neighbors that have died, this weekkm and so many other rumors about others - I GOT ALL THAT IN ONE PHONE CALL. So if I jumped the gun by opening this up the way I did, my bad. However, it is still a topic that I would like to discuss, NOT DEBATE.

All of you who take this board to the heart and actually get emotional as you type to a stranger, please, take a chill pill and either answer the question or KEEP IT MOVING!

PS. And another thing, if you guys are telling ME I'm scaring the tourists away, where is THIS police for about 99% of the posts here!!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you had posted that first you might have gotten a different set of responses

Of course there is cancer here, like everywhere.

However, for your own good you should know that there are genetic links that make cancer more prevalent in some families. What this should mean to you is constant observation of your own body. All the checks, every six months. Of course, this is not good news for you but it is a great wake up call. At least now you know that you must be careful of your diet; that you must be very observant of your body--discarding the "Oh it's nothing" that has finally killed a good friend of mine-and of course, be supportive of your family.

And there are such things as Cancer Clusters, where, because of environmental considerations, cancer rates are higher than normal. You might have seen the news about places on Long Island that seem to fit this pattern. What is the area around your family's houses like? Are there High Tension wires overhead? Are they down wind of the garbage fires? Do they burn garbage in their yards?

There are few if any facilities of registering and following up on cases of Cancer Clusters here in the DR.

GOOD LUCK with the family..

HB

And, oh yes, you CAN go to you post and change the title...Just click EDIT...

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Of course there is cancer here, like everywhere.

However, for your own good you should know that there are genetic links that make cancer more prevalent in some families. What this should mean to you is constant observation of your own body. All the checks, every six months. Of course, this is not good news for you but it is a great wake up call. At least now you know that you must be careful of your diet; that you must be very observant of your body--discarding the "Oh it's nothing" that has finally killed a good friend of mine-and of course, be supportive of your family.

And there are such things as Cancer Clusters, where, because of environmental considerations, cancer rates are higher than normal. You might have seen the news about places on Long Island that seem to fit this pattern. What is the area around your family's houses like? Are there High Tension wires overhead? Are they down wind of the garbage fires? Do they burn garbage in their yards?

There are few if any facilities of registering and following up on cases of Cancer Clusters here in the DR.

GOOD LUCK with the family..

HB

And, oh yes, you CAN go to you post and change the title...Just click EDIT...

Hillbilly, thanks for your reply. I can change the post, but not the name of the thread.

And why dont people ASK before they jump the gun? This is the same way they jump into other threads and call someone's love interest a sankie or a gigalo.

Thanks for caring.

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
Well actually she asked a question, made a baseless assumption, asked another question and made another baseless assumption, viz:

Q: Since there are so many researchers here, what is the cancer rate in DR.
BA: I think I hear of more people in DR with dying cancer than anywhere else! (this is actually a qualified BA since she "thinks" she hears of the actual BA)
Q: Does anyone have any statistics they want to share?
BA: Any clues as to why so much cancer?

Followed by a request for a discussion , well she got that, just not about the baseless assumptions but about the pointlessness of posting scary health "facts". Even some Google research might have prevented the thread, hopefully locking it is next. It's no better than the AIDS posts which are also mostly BA's.
The last time I checked Chris Colon was moderator on this forum. If you feel the need to remind posters of the correctness of their posts, a gentler tone i'm sure would be appreciated.
Have a nice day.
Terry.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well I Disagree

TERRY said:
The last time I checked Chris Colon was moderator on this forum. If you feel the need to remind posters of the correctness of their posts, a gentler tone i'm sure would be appreciated.
Have a nice day.
Terry.

The post invited response and was a mix of Q's and BA's and I said so. Since you aren't the moderator of this forum either then this admonition is just as improper then isn't it?

Other responses ( well other than hers and yours) were as critical of the senationalism and groundlessness of the whole thing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If there is a place in the DR where one has to worry about Cancer due to illegally high levels of toxic material, it might be in the Bonao area, near the Falconbrige Mine. It's a mine under Canadian control and they have had several incidents with the Dominican Government about reckless environmental controls at the mine. Other than that, the DR is pretty Cancer free. The most prevailant cancer (I heard this a while ago) is colon cancer and that is due to all the grease people eat.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
How about some facts?

Criss Colon said:
,"Old Wive's Tales",and conjecture! Nothing of a scientific nature here!CC

Why don't you get the DR1 to check with all the DR hospitals and NYC hospitals and report on the numbers of Dominican cancer patients treated annually? Get your best investigative reporter to work.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think everyone reading stuff on this board should take every bit of information for half it's worth. Everything here (unless it has proof of some sort) is nothing more than facts based on speculation. Maybe the folks that write about personal accounts or include some sources might get away with the info., but for the most part, it's good old speculation in this and all other boards on the internet of any subject.

Think about this!
Based on my experience with how people in general react in DR1 and several other boards on the net, I have concluded that if the Peso-Dollar exchange rate was left to the DR1 members to set it, it would be up in the hundreds right now. Incredible all the speculation that happens here!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
agree...

Nal0whs said:
I think everyone reading stuff on this board should take every bit of information for half it's worth.

It's just that the C word is scary. Also, the DR is our "paradise" we don't want to think cancer is rampant over there.

Sorry about your family TD.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
AGAin, we are discussing the WRONG THING!

Question for everyone, would it had helped if I added an "Is" to the beginning and a question mark to the thread? Is it really THAT much of big deal? I think the one that set the negative tone to the whole thing were the first replies. If I were asked what did mean by my thread, I would have explained it more clearly - I see now that no can actually read my mind - mea culpa again.

Also, there are SOOO many other things that can be considered scary on this board, this shouldnt be the first thread to actually cause a threat to this board. If I didnt know better, according to this board, I would think that the DR is a big ol' mess of Sankies and H0es that are waiting at the airports to pick everyone off a plane up!

Can you 'catch' cancer - NO, so to say that Im scaring people away, is a long shot.

Thanks for caring Forbeca.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Hey, I bet cancer was much more rampant back when Cremas were the only cigarette around. Anybody remember those days?? Man, I could get a good buzz off that cigarette. But then I was only thirteen.