AFP and BanCentral certificates

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
From DR1 news (link may move).

Excerpt:
A scheme of the monetary authorities to harness millions of pesos in pension funds managed by the recently created pension plan administration companies (AFPs) in the DR has been made public. Central Bank Technical Director Apolinar Veloz reportedly met with the board of the National Council of Social Security (CNSS) and disclosed that the Monetary Board had instructed the AFPs to participate in the auctions of certificates of deposit in the Central Bank. The deposition places no limit on the amount of the deposits. The CB's certificates of deposits offer the highest yield on savings in the DR today - rates of 45% to 50% interest.

Now the talk on the news outlets, and user comments found on pages such as Diario Libre's page and other sources are what one can expect in these troubled times: How this move is yet another cheap misguided ploy from the executive to try and halt the rise of the dollar. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to put my money in a BC certificate, and I have no doubt that the executive is trying to do that. I mean, why should I have doubts, when Malkun himself said that's exactly what they want? So, while people condemn the government for "stealing money out of the reserves of private banks" through an illegal scheme (the law project outlining the allocation of pension funds does not include certificates from the BC), I am shocked at a further piece of truth found in the articles (emphasis in bold by me):

In the meantime, discussions regarding the deposit of the funds in the Central Bank puts forth another issue addressed by Pensions Plans Superintendent Persia Alvarez herself. Diario Libre reports that on 29 February, she proposed that 20% of the retirement funds be invested in Central Bank certificates of savings, arguing that the funds are currently registering losses of up to RD$660 million a year. More than RD$2 billion is being held by the APRs.

Now this alarms me even more. This isn't The Stupid Government Move of the Week. This is an official acknowledgement that the Pensions system is a failed endeavor from the very start. Last year, when the AFPs set out to recruit as many contributors as possible, the flyers handed out sometimes told of really high annual revenues. The quarterly reports I get from my AFP tell me the savings made from the contributions of my employer and me are earning 26% APR in interests. But, as anyone expected and now has been confirmed, this 26% is bunk. Yet, news outlets can't be arsed to stir a scandal about that.

It should be noted, that the translation in DR1's report is a bit off. In Spanish the quote from Persia Alvarez reads as "las cuentas de capitalizaci?n de los fondos registran p?rdidas", which means that "the capitalized interests accounts" are the only ones in deficit. The money contributed so far is there, quite obviously; otherwise the BC wouldn't be drooling over it. However, the RD$ 2,000,000,000 aren't yielding what the AFPs would want you to think. Ever mindful of our healthy sleeping habits, the AFPs (which currently are a sock puppet for the banking sector) are planning on bringing this to our attention say...30 years from now.

Secondly, the Superintendent is not supposed to lobby for failing AFPs. Her job is almost the exact opposite: Denouncing failing enterprises, pursuing AFPs who advertise false revenues and print them on reports to their subscribers. However, Mrs Alvarez is trying to bail out the AFPs. Quite the conflict of interests: for a public official that until recently worked for a major local bank this conduct serves only to raise suspicions.

Thirdly: I don't have simpathy for the tactics of the BC in trying to take cash outside of the economy. However, I hate the attitude of banks and the complacency of the newspapers of how they only get hurt. Originally, the AFP law project prohibited any major involvement of banks in the AFP market. The purpose was to create a separate thriving industry that didn't serve as a safety net for banks. This was changed, and now all the relevant AFPs are de facto subsidiary of banks. However, AFPs are still legally independent entities. This time, the BC is trying to push an illegal move. However, if some legal maneuver were to arise, the AFPs would be totally entitled to taking their money elsewhere. AFPs should be able to take as much money out of any bank, just like I should be able to take my money out of my bank if I so wished. We know that an avalanche of withdrawals can bankrupt a bank. However, the attitude I'm sensing everywhere (bank officials, newspapers, user comments) is that they have a right to hold those funds because releasing them would hurt them. There is no such right. If AFPs were to decide to take their money to Grand Cayman, they should do so and banks should zip it.

It's Friday. Think I'll go sit on a tranquilizer dart for the weekend.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I stand by my post from 2+ years ago. The chicanary is happening even earlier than expected:

mondongo said:
you ARE joking...right?....not only will you not see this money when you retire/leave the country....but you will also not see any "Slush Fund"....the DR governement does exaclty the same thing that the USA government does with the money paid to Social Security.....they spend it immediately...then write an IOU to the laughable "Social Security Fund".....Social Security Fund does not exist in the USA.....and it sure as all hell ain't gonna exist in the DR.

I hope my cynicism is not getting the best of me. But I'm confortable with my assesment. Good luck to y'all....and happy drinking!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
All very scary. I can't remember what country the DR based their AFP on. But as I remember it failed in that country too, maybe Chile?