Taking a car from US to DR

R

Rafael Arriaga

I will be moving to DR next year. I am Dominican according to Law 168 I do not have to paid customs taxes if I bring not more than two cars. My question is this Do I will be exempt 100% or what percentage. Can anyone tells me exactly what do I have to pay for the following vehicules. 1998 KIA Sophia, 1995 Mitsubishi LS Montero, 1992 Lincoln continental. I know I can only take two under law 168 but I will like to know the prices to make a decision.

I have also here that is a company or persons that can deliver door to door the car in DR. Any inforamtion will be appreciate.

Rafael

J

John L. MacDonald

Suggest you contact the nearest Dominican Embasy, for the tarrif rate of importing cars. They are rated by make of car, year, and model and show costs for each and receeding year,

R

Rafael Arriaga

I did contact the RD embassy in Washington DC they give me a run around information and a telephone number of someone that suppose to know. I call and they act like they where not sure> They give me the telephone number of RD customs (Aduanas). I call with two people but again I did not obtain and exact amount.

J

Jim Hinsch

I once copied the following information from a web page of the Dominican Embassy:

... We help with ... the shipment of vehicles to the Dominican Republic. ... Please address your questions to Mr. Manuel Prida by fax at (202) 265-8057 (fax), (202) 332-6280 (voice).

Also, previously posted here, Anthony (barbainley@aol.com) wrote:

I have numerous experiences importing vehicles into the DR. Duties are calculated on the year and model. Not the condition. ... You can usually count on shipping , paperwork, and licence plate to add about $1700 US to the cost depending on if you ship from NY or Miami. He has offered our readers to check the official customs duty list, so E-mail him.

Another poster, Graham (Grahamebush@hotmail.com) wrote that he too can get a quote from the official printed sheets. E-mail him.

In an E-mail I received once, Kieth Devlin (keithmd@earthlink.net) wrote:

I work in a dominican neigborhood. If you would like I can send you advertisements from the local spanish newspapers for shipping companies that work out of NY and ship to RD. I know a few people who sent cars to DR and its a long expensive process. Use a company that delivers your car door to door. It costs a little more money up front but comes out cheaper on the long run. You dont have to pay bribes and deal with the BS of buscadores.

Jim Hinsch Jim Hinsch@CSI.COM

D

DR One

The Dominican Consulate in New York City has set up a customs department where we understand they will value your shipment and tell you what you will pay before you ship. Contact them. Let us know about this experience.

G

gio

I know that there's a company called "Sea-land" and I think that they have a NY # and a NJ #. I know that they were in existence some years ago. I believe that they handle shipping cars and other items. My estranged ( and strange) husband had 2 jeeps in my back yard that he was going to send to the DR. He said that it's cheaper to send a car if you register and use it for one year in the USA first. I don't know why. Also, some people send part of a car at a time, really they chop it into 2 or 3 sections, like send the engine first, etc.,. I read about it once and I saw it myself ant the airport in the DR. A guy had the front end of a car all wrapped up with rope and blankets and they had a German Shepherd sniff it I guess to look for hidden drugs. Anyway, when they send part of the car in a chunk it gets checked on the plane with luggage I think and then chunk by chunk it gets reassembled in the DR. Then, presto! You have a car! I don't know how common this is but it happens and it's legal. There is, however; a racket with stolen cars going from New York to New Jersey and then on barges to Puerto Rico and then they get shipped to the DR, so just be prepared to go through whatever scrutiny you have to do. I have two friends whose cars were stolen in New York and found in New Jersey. Supposedly their cars were destined for a voyage to Puerto Rico and onward. Have fun and "Happy Shipping" to you.

J

J.

Hi DR1, great site. I wonder if the Dominican Consulate has done the same in Miami? I've called there before and did't get much help. But that was before the new President was in office.

T

Tice

please provide me with some info on bringing a car from US to DR.

Thanks

D

DR One

We understand the customs facility is only available in New York. Things have changed with the new government. Call the Miami consulate to find out what assistance they may offer you.

L

Loren

You need what is called "Ro-Ro" service, which stands for roll on-roll off. you drive your car to the port (New Jersey or Jacksonville, for example) and then they drive your car onto the ship, then drive it off down there. You will want to use a freight forwarder to handle the paperwork. It will cost you over $1000 (that is what I have heard) and then you will have to pay taxes upon taking it in the country.

A good freight forwarder experienced in shipping vehicles abroad is Worldwide International. 614 888-8080