U.S. Visitor's Visa

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
I am wondering if anyone has information about obtaining a visitor's visa for the US for a Dominican Citizen. I have been told that it is helpful to write a letter of invitation. Anyone know what to include in this?

Thank you.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A Bribe Might Help

kelly2 said:
I am wondering if anyone has information about obtaining a visitor's visa for the US for a Dominican Citizen. I have been told that it is helpful to write a letter of invitation. Anyone know what to include in this?

Thank you.

Search the posts, puh-leeze, then save your money since you have at best a 1/1000th of 1% chance of succeeding. Sorry to bear bad news but them's the breaks.

If you want to post the qualifications (assets, property, employment, bank accounts, criminal record, family status) this person has then you may get opinion as to the chances but they are between slim and none and slim left town. Although if you have kids and can pass him off as a nanny there is a recent long post as to how that worked which was pretty good.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I haven't done it yet but I did mention it to a lawyer I know. He told me if I wanted to send a letter of invitation he could do it. All I had to do was bring 2 or 3 years tax returns to him. So if you are interested in sending a letter of invitation you should seek out an immigration attorney in your area.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Just realize

pati said:
I haven't done it yet but I did mention it to a lawyer I know. He told me if I wanted to send a letter of invitation he could do it. All I had to do was bring 2 or 3 years tax returns to him. So if you are interested in sending a letter of invitation you should seek out an immigration attorney in your area.

That you apply for a visitors visa for a DR resident to go to the USA in the DR at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo not in the USA. Unless you have an awfully good risk (from INS/Homeland Security and the US Consul's visa officer) you are adding the cost of a lawyer to the cost of the visa and the results are likely to be the same, which is a 99% denial rate. Be honest with your appraisal of the credentials of the person applying, make sure they already have a DR passport and pay the fee in advance of your appointment at the US Consul.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just check these off

I guess I am feeling nice today so just check these off.

1) The person has a passport and has travelled to someplace.--Yes or No

2) The person has at least a university degree-----------------Yes or No

3) The person has a valid MC or Visa or Amex card-------------Yes or No

4) The person is an employee of a major company not involved
with the tourist industry, except perhaps as a supplier-------Yes or No

5) The person has a bank account with a few thousand pesos
in it, and a passbook savings account-----------------------Yes or No

6) The person owns a vehicle of more than 125cc in size and
from 1994 to date, or a monster vehicle from any age--------Yes or No

7) The person owns his place of residence or possesses a farm
of approximately 100 acres if he lives in the South or 10 acres
if he lives in Moca, Salcedo, La Vega, Bonao or Santiago------Yes or No

8) The person has never applied for a visa to visit the US before
and does not have any family currently residing in the US or
soliciting visas to live in the US of A.------------------------Yes or No
Only if you can answer YES to each and every question is there a snowball's chance in he!! of the person obtaining a visa to visit the US.

The only exception I can think of is if the guy has his own business that has some fame and fortune, commercial accounts in different banks, and can be proved to be his. Then there is a slim chance you can eliminate the need for a degree and a great job.

I do not think I am being exceedingly stringent on this..

Your own letter of invitation means as much as a row of pee-pee holes in a snowbank..as one of my French teachers once said...

HB

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I noticed you guys always say that but I know a lot of Dominicans that came to the US with visa's that don't meet all of those requirements. Actually the one person I do know that got a visa by invitation was single and in her 20's and unless she had her mother sign over her house so that she could get a visa, she didn't own any property. Who know's. Anyway like they say nothing ventured nothing gained. Good Luck Kelly2

remy

May 9, 2003
I was able to get a visitor's visa for my Dominican girl friend to vist my father in America when he was sick. We came back to DR two months later and went back to get another visa to vist again and they said no. They said the only way she could travel again is she had 1) property, 2) a good job. The reasoning is that if she leave again she might not come back.

Oh they said I could marry her! :rolleyes:

kelly2 said:

Thank you.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
The same thing

Remy,

You are not the only one the same thing happen to a friend of mine, first he got 6 month Visa and he did not used it because he was having some important test at the Univesity in Santo Domingo. He prove that to the consul then they gave him one year wich one he just spent 15 days in Atlanta, when he went back to apply again they said not to him that he was not having property to come back to the DR.

That's why many Dominican stay in the US, if they can't even trust in them to get a second Visa.

But that the US policie that one visa doesn't grant another that the last decition is given from an Immigration officer.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
ricktoronto said:
That you apply for a visitors visa for a DR resident to go to the USA in the DR at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo not in the USA. Unless you have an awfully good risk (from INS/Homeland Security and the US Consul's visa officer) you are adding the cost of a lawyer to the cost of the visa and the results are likely to be the same, which is a 99% denial rate. Be honest with your appraisal of the credentials of the person applying, make sure they already have a DR passport and pay the fee in advance of your appointment at the US Consul.

I was just following the steps of someone who was successful in bringing someone here by invitation.

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
So... no one has any information on an invitation? The person has no intention of staying in the US, as I will be moving to the DR and have already secured a job there. (Is this at all helpful?) However, it would be nice for them to be able to travel with me to the US in the future. Would it help to go to the appointment at the consulate with them? If so, what kind of information should you bring with you?

What about obtaining visa's for children to visit the US? Is this just as difficult?

I understand this is nearly impossible, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Marlin Hunter

May 18, 2002
I can give you another bad example. I was legally married to a Dominican, both civil and in the church. I was employeed in the Dominican Republic, making well over $100,000 U.S. annually. I had property, vehicles, bank accounts in both the D.R. and the U.S., stocks in the U.S and a 43' yacht in the D.R. We had also traveled together to several Central American and South American countries

I went with my bride (of more than a year) to apply for a visa, with copies of all of the above assets. The vice-consul, looked at our papers and called her supervisor. He looked at the papers and stated "Visa denied!". I asked why. He said "In the Dominican Republic, any document can be falsified". If you want her to go to the United States, apply for a residence visa."

I tried to explain that I worked in the Domincian Republic and that we did not wish to live in the United States. He would not listen.

Yes, I did finally get her a visa by appealing (less of a chance of winning that than getting the visa on the first visit) and demonstrating to the Consul General that everything I presented was legit and presenting certified letters from some very influential people, both U.S. citizens and Dominicans, but it still took another seven months.

Good luck.

backinthedr

Apr 10, 2004
Just what the U.S. needs

Karl said:
Just fly him to Canada and let him stroll across the border.

Yeah, thats just what we need..more illegals in the U.S.coming across the Canadian border!!!!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
backinthedr said:
Yeah, thats just what we need..more illegals in the U.S.coming across the Canadian border!!!!!!

we will take back all our illegals if you take back all your convicts and survivalists. Seriously, it is just as hard for Dominicans to get Visa's to Canada as it is to the USA, maybe harder. My wife(before we were married) want to visit me and she was denied, even though she has several university degrees, a thriving business, a ****** of properties, $us dollar account with more than several $1000, plus more than $1000000 pesos. They said it was because she was a single female, no other reason given, but they gladly took her application money.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Even Less Likely

Karl said:
Just fly him to Canada and let him stroll across the border.

If you look at Canada's stats we admit less Dominicans per capita than the USA does - last report were 202 visitor visa's granted (our population is 30 million) - I bet the USA, even though they don't give out a lot of visas, did give out a lot more than 2020 (with 10 X the population) the same year.

And you can hardly stroll across the border nowadays to the USA.

Karl

Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
If you look at Canada's stats we admit less Dominicans per capita than the USA does - last report were 202 visitor visa's granted (our population is 30 million) - I bet the USA, even though they don't give out a lot of visas, did give out a lot more than 2020 (with 10 X the population) the same year.

And you can hardly stroll across the border nowadays to the USA.

I actually meant the 1st part as a joke, must have come across wrong. But the 2nd part, anyone knows you can just walk across that border if you please, a review by Canada's auditor general even states so.