Mamajuana?

boss170

Feb 26, 2004
Can anyone tell me what to add to the mamajuana plants? Is it water or rhum? We are debating with friends and don't know for sure...Thanks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If you've read my story about La Isabella and Luperon

you'll know that the recipes I'm about to give are authentic (as told to me by the ancient Dominican gentleman who sold me my first mamjuana).
Add honey to sweeten. Then add either rum (a good quality rum will yeild a smoother mamajuana) or wine (also should be good quality). Let age for at least six weeks. Then test for sweetness and add more honey if needed.
Savour the rum version as an overall "Tonic" while the wine version is good for "arthritis" type complaints and kidney/bladder problems.

Hope this is what you were looking for!! :ermm:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mamajuana plants ?

boss170 said:
Can anyone tell me what to add to the mamajuana plants? Is it water or rhum? We are debating with friends and don't know for sure...Thanks.

There are no mamajuana plants, per say. There is a traditional mix of wood, plants, herbs and spices that are used to make mamajuana.

MAMAJUANA

1) The reason that mamajuana tastes bitter the first time you make it is because the wood, leaves and spices inside are too new.(green)

2) Generally, one would put cheap gin in the bottle for approx. 6 weeks to get the bitter out, then pour it out and make your first mix. Often times, the first batch is a bit bitter anyhow, and you should consider getting it out of the bottle into another bottle so as to stop the process. The second batch will be smoother, and so on. As time goes on, the longer you leave it in the bottle, the smoother it gets. I have run into some stubborn bottles that took as much as 3 months to "cure".

3) The mix.... Approx. 90% dark rhum, 8% honey, 2% cheap red wine and some people add a couple of secret ingredients. (small box of raisins is good)

4) There is no set rule about how sweet you make it. The best thing to do is make up 3/4 of the bottle, shake well, and adjust it to taste. It will taste more or less the same when fermented-aged as when you first make it. The difference is that it will be a whole heck of a lot smoother.

5) The bottles seem to last forever, and just get better and better. I don't think there is any limit as to how long they last. As time goes on, you will find that the mix ages very quickly. My bottles age the mix overnight.

Enjoy, Marco.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
LOL

OK let me see if I can get this one to rev.

To have a good mamajuana is something of an individual choice, not two are remotely alike due in the most part to the unbalanced mixing of the roots and wood chips used in the making of it, the bitter taste of some mamajuanas is due to the relatively amount of fresh wood chips present in the bottled mix and sometimes in the selection of Yerbamate roots by some of the mamajuanas bottlers, you can try and make your own brew to spice it up or get it set for pouring in your prized aged ron, but if you don't take good care of repeating the fill-empty proccess at least three or four times you could just as easely end up with a sandy residue in your poured drinks time and time again, you have to "CURE" the mamajuana's mix before you can enjoy the taste and pride of having your own special stock, before you go out and spend a sizeble amount of money in your mamajuana try and get a few bottles of Brugal Anejo to cure it, better yet if you can get your hands on some Ron Siboney bottles you can achieve even better results, after that it's all to your taste buds what you choose to preserve and spice in there, I for one like to keep some Barcelo Imperial.

Salud!

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Good information!

Rocky said:
There are no mamajuana plants, per say. There is a traditional mix of wood, plants, herbs and spices that are used to make mamajuana.

MAMAJUANA

3) The mix.... Approx. 90% dark rhum, 8% honey, 2% cheap red wine and some people add a couple of secret ingredients. (small box of raisins is good)

Enjoy, Marco.

We purchased acouple of these while in the DR.

When we bought them, the sales person advised us to mix it 1/3 white wine...fill then to 1/2 with honey, and then top it up with rum.

We did this with the first one, and let it age for a week.

It was still a little strong, but not bad.

We still have a couple of "ready to mix" bottles left, so i think I will use your recipe on one of them, and see how it goes.

Thanks for the different view!

Cheers
Jimmy

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I would use a lesser quality rum, like Carta Dorada.

And I was told mamajuana has a shelf life of approx. 7 years. Someone brought us a bottle a while ago and it was gone in a weekend. (Aging alcohol in my house = unrealistic goal.)

steven Zabel

Apr 2, 2004
Mamajuana recipes

There are many recipes for making mamajuana liqueur. The correct mixture and percentages of each ingredient is important, but also equally important is the prior conditioning of the herbs before final mixing. For buying authentic DR bottled Mamajuana with authentic recipes visit the DR1 Classifieds http://dr1.com/classifieds/viewads.shtml to see my ad. Available for U.S. and worldwide shipping.

Last edited by a moderator: