Coming soon and need some answers

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Hello everybody,
My wife and I are coming this summer to Santo Domingo with the expectation of spending few enjoyable years there.
Like most new comers we have some questions that need answers, some of them may have been already asked but the answer may have changed due to inflation or time period.
As foreigners we would like to know if it is allowed to have bank accounts in a currency other than that of the DR apart from one account in Pesos?
We would be looking for a two bedroom appartment in the Colonial Zone. Sould we rent a furnished or unfurnished one? and what would be the rent average in either case?
Any idea about cigarrettes and cigars brands and prices?
Thanking you in advance for your replies.
Smokey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can have a dollar account. But, depending on what you need money for, most who live here will tell you to keep your money in your home country and get only what you need when it is needed by writing personal checks with a banco de cambio you will have made arrangements with in advance of the need to do so.

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
I agree with the money issue. Leave your money outside the country...people here is trying to get them out of the country.
Apartment: I don't know how much is in the Colonial Zone. In good safe places it's a minimum of 12.000 unfurnished to 20.000 furnished. High lights places are in dollars, from US$ 600 up to US$1500. My suggestion is to get here and live into an apartahotel for a couple of months and then make your choice; there are many here in the town, you just go trough yellow pages.
Cigarettes: I smoke so I know. You can get Marlboro and other local brands very easy. Supermarket price for a 10 pack box is $ 270, which is about 5.2 US$, which makes about 52 cents each pack.
Good luck

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Ken said:
You can have a dollar account.
Thank you ken for your reply and advice.
At the beginning money would be needed for the usual expenses of buying a car, finding a place to live in, then day to day normal spending for life to go on smoothly.
I suppose that being able to open an account in dollars means the account could be in Euros too, this brings one new question: How long does it take the bank to get you the money of your check? In some countries it was taking almost a month, in others we had a special agreement with the bank to pay our check on sight.
I am a philatelist, is there any philatelic club, society or organization in DR? any shows organized for philatelists?
Probably I should start a new thread for this item, What do you think?

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Englishman said:
I agree with the money issue. Leave your money outside the country...
Thanks a lot Englishman for your gem of an answer, your advice is really valuable to us especially with the idea of living in an aparahotel at the beginning, but that can not exceed a month because our container will be following us and we will need a place to put things in.
The cigarrettes are so cheap! We are paying here that much for a single packet, thank you for the information.
I collect postage stamps and old currency notes, is there a market in DR for this? Do you know of any clubs or collectors societies in there?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You might be able to track down fellow collectors and enthusiasts through the Santo Domingo Philatelic and Numismatic museum, located in the Central Bank building on Calle Pedro Henriquez Ure?a. Tel. 688 6512.

Chiri

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Chirimoya said:
You might be able to track down fellow collectors and enthusiasts
Chiri
Thank you Chirimoya for the information about the museum, I'll keep it in mind for when I am there. I hope Chirimoyito is doing well. Best regards to all those who cared to answer and more information will be welcomed.
Smokey. :smoke:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Glad to oblige. Anything else, just let me know. I am based in Santo Domingo.

Chirimoyito is fine...
:cool:
Chiri

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
You are welcome.
You can stay a month, and this will sligthly increase the average per month fee. If you need any help let me know.
I'm located in Santo Domingo, DN and, sadly, I have no filatelic background...

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Thanks again Chirimoya, I am looking forward to meeting you guys when I am in SD, You make me feel like I am no stranger in a foreign country.
Best regards
Smokey

Last edited:

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Englishman said:
, If you need any help let me know.
I'm located in Santo Domingo, DN..
I will, as soon as I am settled down and have my connections to telephone and internet, and would be pleased to have a beer ( a presidente?)with all of you who cared to answer.
Thanks again.
Smokey :D

smokey

Mar 9, 2004
Chirimoya said:
When do you arrive? I am out of town at the moment.

Chiri

We are supposed to arrive in August this year, exact date has not been decided yet :smoke: