They gave me a cedula!!!

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Pib pushed me to share my story of obtaining residency with all you good folks out there. Instead of abusing her good name in this forum I registered myself.

Obtaining my residency in the DR turned out as easy as 1-2-3.

I read Chirimoyas DIY 'horror story' and quickly turned to Fabio Guzman. I wrote to the address in the legal section of these pages. He replied instantly telling me what papers I needed to supply and in how many copies and a meeting was set up with Dr. Ramia in his SD office.

After picking up my birth certificate in Denmark where I also had it translated into Spanish I met with Dr. Ramia at the immigration office on The Malecon. He took me through the process of filling out papers and giving a blood sample in the same building, then drove me to a clinic where the x-ray pic was taken.
That was it! It took 2 hours including the drive "Now we wait for 3 months, I'll call you when it's ready" he said. I paid the first half of the fee and went home.

I didn't spend the next 3 months walking back and forth staring at the phone. I had a 'business commitment' in Africa spanding exactly those 3 months, so it didn't feel as a long time waiting. When I returned the call came almost to the date.

I went to Dr. Ramias office and he took me to the cedula office where the cedula was issued, no question asked. Then on to Immigration for the residency, almost same operation as in the cedula office. One hour and a half including transport and it didn't hurt at all. I paid the other half of the fee with a big smile. I felt I got something for my money comparing my experience with the experience of others.

Dr. Ramia is a well known face in those halls and I believe I skipped a few lines to say the least.
For anyone out there about to obtain residency, I recommend you talk to Fabio Guzman first.

Good luck (actually you don't need that at all)

Cheers
Bok (mr Pib)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Same story, same people. I guess it took me also 2hrs max to get my residency and that included traveling :)

I'm not sure what Fabio charges these days, I guess between US$1,000-1,500, you are better off emailing him and asking.

All I can tell you is that the piece of mind is worth it. You might save US$2-300 with another lawyer, but I have heard of so many horror stories, I personally didn't want to take the chance.

I have friends that saved US$200-300 only to have problems when they went for their permanent residency. The lawyers had basically skipped a few steps to save money and time. Guess what, they had to start the process all over again.

I guess you get what you pay for?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
True enough, it can definitely be done cheaper. As for me, I paid (in total costs) as I recall much more for much worse service. Also, don't forget it is a two-step process as Robert mentions. The second part is almost a repeat of the first.

Compared to my experience with another lawyer-actually at least two different lawyers, well, there isn't a good comparison. My process was a nightmare. Thanks Mr. Pib for insight. I only wish I had known how easy it could have been a few years ago.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
The fee

Fabio was very nice and gave me a discount of 100 usd so I ended up paying 1400 usd for the entire proces.

We also had Fabio represent us when we bought a new apartment. The deal went through Thursday and again: I can only recommend using his services in any legal matter. Everything went smooth in any aspect.
In this case the fee was approx. 3500 usd. He helped us establish our own company which then bought the apartment in our name. A special tactic I hadn't heard of before moving to the DR but it saved us a bunch of dough and will ease the proces if our future children are taking over or if (God forbid) one of us should leave this world 'before time'.

The lawyer horror stories are just around the corner. Pibs cousin thought 3500 usd was way too much. She knew of lawyers who would do it for one third of that amount. However she didn't tell that she had been scammed three times by the same cheap lawyers and now has exactly the same to show for it as what the little boy aimed and shot at: Nothing!

Rob is right: You get what you pay for.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Great!

This is our story almost exactly. Just the best service from Fabio's office and Dr Ramia. It was almost like Dr Ramia waved a magic wand and everybody just simply disappeared and we were first in line.. no problems, no obstacles, documentation perfect.

Btw, did you bring the word 'bok' back with you from Africa?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Onions&carrots said:
Rob, are you a citizen already and what is your motive for becoming a resident?

I live and do business in the DR.

To get a driving license you need a cedula, to get a cedula you need to be a resident.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Onions&carrots said:
Rob, are you a citizen already and what is your motive for becoming a resident?

Citizen??? ROB???? Yeah, ... like Citizen Kane!!!!! Re Residencia .... He HAD to become LEGAL at something, sometime!!! He doesn't play golf like some of sane people!!!!!

Talking of which ...........WELCOME BO!!! Nice to see you putting things on the board rather than being behind the scenes!!! Let me know when you are up this way next & we'll have a cold one or two round the course (& toast another to Helmut!!). PIB can re-decorate the apartment whilst we play!!!! - Grahame

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Thanks Bushbaby, Chris

Bok is a handle that has stuck with me since my days in the fire breathing royal Danish navy. It does have an African ring to it though.... (the name that is, not the navy)

Grahame, I'll be sure to let you know when we'll be in the PP area. I still have to try and see if a lit pipe in the front pocket of my pants will straighten out my drives. It seems to work for you. Greetings to "She that must be obeyed."

Cheers,
Bok

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bok said:
Grahame, I'll be sure to let you know when we'll be in the PP area. I still have to try and see if a lit pipe in the front pocket of my pants will straighten out my drives. It seems to work for you. Greetings to "She that must be obeyed."

Do you know I had never noticed that!!!!! Tried it on Wednesday & you are RIGHT!!!!! Only in my left pocket though - if I put it in the right pocket it catches something causing a great WARM feeling & I slice or hook the ball into the nearest bunch of girls around the course!!!! Thanks for the perception & I will ensure I have a quick puff of the pipe before every shot in future!! - Grahame.