A nice day trip with buddies

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It's amazing what people love about this country. I am constantly surprised at how things we take for just being 'there' are so magnificent to our visitors.

Last Sunday after a short round of colf with Bob and Tom, two buddies from Petersborough, en Canada, eh? we planned a trip to play Playa Grande. All week I kept asking my son to check with his buddies up there about prices and tee times, since it is getting a lot of play. Nope he didn;t do it.

Anyway we left at a bit after eight, took the road to Moca and then up and over the mountains The Cafeto restaurant wasn't open that early in the morning so we stopped at the sampe place at Cleef and I did a long time ago.

Breakfast was fried chicken and tostones, since four Dominicanyorks ate all the "cachirulos" or boiled green bananas, just as we got there. They were from Jamao and on their way to the Santiago airport...

Tom kept saying "How beautiful, how beautiful" all along the road, partially because the amapolas are in bloom and they dotted the hillsides, and partly because we were not going off the road and falling for 2000 feet!

As we hit the highway at the Cruce de Jamao, traffic got worse, but we zoomed into Playa Grande in pretty good time. I am always shocked at the worsening condition of the highway, the MAJOR artery along the North Shore! D@mn them!

At P.G. we were told very nicely that a Tournament had just teed off and that there would no be any time available until 4 in the afternoon. Tom said that the trip alone was worth the ride and not to worry. I talked with the bosses and suggested that since there were 5 par 5s on the course and only 18 foursomes playing there was plenty of room. While they were thinking on this I checked on the green fees. For my two friends the price was US$101 each plus US$7 for the caddy. That was just too much....We took off for Puerto Plata, stopping for beer along the way in Gaspar Hernandez. They're Canadian, eh?

As we reached Cabarete, I was looking for a Surf Shop-Trendsetters- but could not see it for the confusion there. What a gobbledegook place that has turned into. Sorry, but it IS for the young crowd. Oh to be 25 again!!
I did check out a cigar store-I had forgotten to bring my own- and found it to be pure "crappo" The only half decent cigars are those from Victor Sinclair. NONE of the so-called Cubans were authentic. Absolutely NONE..BEWARE!!

So, after getting by the traffic jam caused by one diesel oil tank truck filling a local's tank, and some construction going on, we whisked our way to Sosua.
Just as we arrived, I was struck by a bolt-I have some friends that love German bread! SCREECH! Right turn down that lovely (not!) dirt road, and went to Moser's Bakery....Spent like RD$1000 (not a typo) on some goodies....and off to Playa Dorada.

Playa Dorada: Fees--RD$1850 each, includes cart. Caddy-obligatory-US$9.00 Note: POP members pay a lot less and Golf Association member pay a lot less.

We played 18 holes, enjoyed the course, had a good time, hit a few good shots. Tom is the best of the three and he was a bit off and shot 85 for the day..from the Member's tees...

Tired and hungry and thirsty we left in search of food. Ribs? Would have to go back to Sosua. Fish? Johans was just up the road....so off we went to Johans. About ten minutes later we were there and it was mobbed.

The Good Lord intervened and said: HB just ahead there is a spot that is new and very accomodating, not packed, try it!" Giving thanks, I went on the the place with the thached roof-the second one past Johans on the way to Santiago. Walked in, nice clean, orderly place. As we looked for a table to choose, I spotted an old student at a back table, he grinned and I pointed and grinned, went over to say hi.

Tito turned out to be the Owner of the place, newly opened and just one of his many things going on. A graduate of my university back in the 70s, Tito is an Electro-mechanical engineer with a long history in POP. He worked at the power plant for the old CDE, installed the cable car (which he now maintains) with some other of my friends, became the administrator of the CDE power plant, opened a hardware store, etc, etc and now this fish place.

But not just fish: shrimp, conch and more stuff from the ocean..We had a fried fish, a plate of conch ? la vinagrette, and a baked fish with a mountain of tostones and a little salad, two "grandes" all for RD$420!!!!!

Highly recommended by HB and his golfing buddies.

Home by 8:45, asleep by 10:00.......ZZZZZZZZZZ

HB

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Hillbilly said:
The Good Lord intervened and said: HB just ahead there is a spot that is new and very accomodating, not packed, try it!" Giving thanks, I went on the the place with the thached roof-the second one past Johans on the way to Santiago. Walked in, nice clean, orderly place. As we looked for a table to choose, I spotted an old student at a back table, he grinned and I pointed and grinned, went over to say hi.

Tito turned out to be the Owner of the place, newly opened and just one of his many things going on. A graduate of my university back in the 70s, Tito is an Electro-mechanical engineer with a long history in POP. He worked at the power plant for the old CDE, installed the cable car (which he now maintains) with some other of my friends, became the administrator of the CDE power plant, opened a hardware store, etc, etc and now this fish place.

But not just fish: shrimp, conch and more stuff from the ocean..We had a fried fish, a plate of conch ? la vinagrette, and a baked fish with a mountain of tostones and a little salad, two "grandes" all for RD$420!!!!!
HB

HB, sounds like a good place. Where exactly is it?

-Festero del Norte

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I have never played on either HB, but what are the main differences between P.G and P.D golf courses?

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
tired_boy said:
I have never played on either HB, but what are the main differences between P.G and P.D golf courses?

Although you directed the question to HB, until he offers his two cents I'll provide mine:

I've only played each course once. Both are nice regulation courses and mostly level. The PG course has much better views though... by far. If you really enjoy the game PG is worth the extra $ just to experience the oceanside layout.

PG has several holes that if you want to gamble and challenge yourself you can really go for it. Less forgiving as OB = water much of the time.

At PG it's all golf course and views. At PD it's nestled among the resort properties so it's a different feel. Either place is good golf... PG is perhaps great golf.

Perhaps someone knows the respective course ratings? As I recall PG seemed a little more difficult.

- Festero del Norte

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
You did not look hard enough...

We are the only store in Cabarete with an 8 foot sign and painted Neon Orange and Yellow - how could you miss us???

;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Golf First then Girlie Girl

Playa Dorada is a wonderful course for tourists. It is interesting, and from the tips it can be challanging. Some of the greens are large. Lots of wind, which can make a relatively short 4 par (371 yds) into a bear of a hole. and a 350 yard par 4 nearly a par 3 for the big hitters. There are no real "vistas" unless you count the par 3 seventh hole next to the topless beach....

Playa Grande is golf. With the exception of 1,5, and 6 the front side plays next to the ocean, and it is always there. It is in your head. a short par 3 might mean a good 3 wood to the green, if you dare!

The layout is championship all the way. the PGA could play there with little modifications. Some ofthe greens are 85+ yds long! There are at least 6 holes where you are invited to take the "short" route over the ocean. Bring lots of balls.

Another distraction is the beautiful gardening that assists the layout. A good friend that has played Pebble Beach says that this compares very well with that classic layout....It is a course that you will enjoy telling your friends about over some whiskey sours during the winter months....

Girlie Girl All well and good, but just where on the Strip are you located?? Next to what or where>??

All the best.

HB

Course Rating for Playa Dorada: Whites 71.4; Blues 73.6
Slope Ratings : 130 and 134 Whites and Blues

I'll post Playa Grande's tomorrow if I can find a score card..

Last edited:

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
:-(

In the center of Cabarete!!!
Right Next to Harrisons
Right Next to Josefina Covents
Right in front of Hotel Tropical Casa Laguna
Directly across the street from Lax

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sounds great HB

PG's #'s: Blue 126-74.9, White 120-69.4, Red 111-66.7

All DR's golf courses

Your report was breaking my heart HB, I think of that trip often. I was actually looking at some pictures from that trip today in fact.

The price is truly exorbitant, but if you got it, and you want a round that you'll never forget, you have to do it.

I also concur that the ride there is a great time too.

As for the road, I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been improved. When I last ventured up there in the end of November, the floods had ravaged the roads and even destroyed parts of bridges. Most definitely not a road for night travel.