"Asavache"?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I have an "asavache" from when I was an infant. It is the head of a black person crowned in gold. I believe I have also seen a black hand in form of a fist.
My aunt says that it is to protect children from harm (mal de ojo). My Dad on the other hand has no idea what it is for or who gave it to me.
If any of you know what I am referring to would you answer a couple of questions?
What is the origin of the asavache?
Do Dominicans still pin these on their newborn children?
Where can I find a replica?

Thanks in advance
Carabella

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ouch!

ccarabella said:
I have an "asavache" from when I was an infant. It is the head of a black person crowned in gold.

This practice must annoy the black persons giving up such an important body part for this purpose. Must be heavy as hell to wear all day too.

toby

Dec 8, 2003
ccarabella said:
I have an "asavache" from when I was an infant.

While in the Dr before Christmas my family and I had the unique oportunity to visit the Leonardo Fernandez Hospital in POP. This hospital visit was an eye opener to the standard hospital care given to the population in the area. We were lucky enough to visit the maternity wing and many new borns had an"asavache" attached to thier cloths. The practice still exists and when I asked about it people where very please to answer questions. One of the interesting aspects is that the "asavache" is usually given by a relative upon visiting the newborn. We were quick to be warned not to call the baby "beautiful" as this brings bad luck and ill health to the child. Congratulations was acceptable. Another interesting traditions was a small bracelet of beads on the childs ankle or wrist, to ward off evil and to bring prosperity.
I am sure the residenct DR1 people will be able to guide you as to were to buy an "asavache", and look forward to more constructive comments on the cultural significance.
Toby

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
ccarabella said:

Jewelry stores for the most part have an entire case showing of Asavaches. I'm not sure if they can duplicate the one you have but you can always find out on your next trip down there.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
ccarabella said:
I have an "asavache" from when I was an infant. It is the head of a black person crowned in gold. I believe I have also seen a black hand in form of a fist.
My aunt says that it is to protect children from harm (mal de ojo). My Dad on the other hand has no idea what it is for or who gave it to me.
If any of you know what I am referring to would you answer a couple of questions?

Thanks in advance
Carabella

The Azabache you own since you were an infant it's hard to locate nowdays in the DR, I should know since my sisters tried to get one for me to gift to my compadre's infant here in the States, they all have them, me and my brothers got the fist a custom for the boys, nowadays the one used the most it's the one made with "piedras de Mariquitas" it's black and red and they make a wide range of things with them, you can easely get them at any local jewelry store, not the fancy ones, the ones that serve the common Dominican, It's believe that it would help protect the infant against the ills that affect many children in the early years of their lives, just like wearing a piece of "Alcamfort" tied to a thread around your neck, popular believes that don't die so easy, the best Azabaches are made with black onyx others are made with stones and other materials.

WALIE

May 12, 2006
Yes Dominicans Still Do Use Asavaches. I Just Had A Baby Gurl And I Bought Her One.i Think It Originated From Cuba But Im Not Sure. You Can Find Them In Mostly All Jewlery Stores, Well Atleast The Ones In Ny.its Not Hard To Find.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Azabache

Azabache is a black lignite (fossil wood) which is known in English as 'jet' (where the expression 'jet black' comes from). Its use in magic is lost in antiquity, to ward off evil... I'm sure this practice arrived in the DR early in Colonial times...

-