Tax Accountant for US Citizens

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
A US citizen is obliged to file a US income tax return regardless of the duration of any absence from the US. :ermm:

Does anyone know of an accountant in the DR who is familiar with US tax law and can assist in filing a return?

Most people who leave their home country, such as the UK for example, cease to be taxable on their worldwide income in that country after a certain period of absence. However, the US system requires its citizens to continue to file returns reporting worldwide income, regardless of the length of time that they reside elsewhere.

Although taxpayers may obtain a two month extension to file a return, any outstanding tax payable for 2003 must be paid to the IRS before the required deadline. Failure to meet this oblgation will result in the application of interest and penalties to overdue taxes.

International taxation becomes very complicated for US citizens living and working abroad. Professional advice should be sought in order to ensure that filing penalties are avoided and claims for reliefs from double taxation are made on a timely basis. Hence, my question.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This topic came up once before, so chances are excellent you will get some responses.

However, you may also want to consider doing your taxes online. Many tax firms in the US offer online service, ranging from the very basic to the very complex, with fees that are published for each category. You bring your info to the computer, and respond to the questions asked you. When you are done, you can print the completed tax form for your records, and the company doing the tax files the report with IRS. They do federal, state and local, should you need to file more than a federal return. Works quite well, in my opinion, and it can be done at your convenience without leaving home.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Good Idea

Ken said:
This topic came up once before, so chances are excellent you will get some responses.

However, you may also want to consider doing your taxes online. Many tax firms in the US offer online service, ranging from the very basic to the very complex, with fees that are published for each category. You bring your info to the computer, and respond to the questions asked you. When you are done, you can print the completed tax form for your records, and the company doing the tax files the report with IRS. They do federal, state and local, should you need to file more than a federal return. Works quite well, in my opinion, and it can be done at your convenience without leaving home.

Thanks, that's an excellant idea. :)

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
If all else fails your friend , I believe you can get TURBOTAX onlline. I got a Tax Account in the State that I swear by, so I know how it is to have a person to work with. I am getting my first REFUND in 6-7 years!! :laugh:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To get a list of accounting firms that can do your tax online, go to http://www.irs.gov/app/freeFile/jsp/all_offers.jsp This is a list of companies that have signed an agreement with IRS to do the tax for free of people who qualify based on income. But these same companies offer a full range of services to the full range of clients. Check out a few of these companies and go to their websites to see what services they offer, the cost, etc. I'm sure there must be other firms offering similar service, but you know these companies are and that their work apparently passes the scrutiny of IRS.

According to IRS, more than 53 million American taxpayers have experience filing online tax returns.

One other thing I should mention is that you can start and stop your sessions with the "online accountant" whenever you want. If you are asked a question and don't have the info immediately at hand, you can log off, then log back on when you do and continue where you left off. Or at least that is the way it is with Turbo Tax, the one I have used the past couple of years, and I assume the others work the same way. http://www.turbotax.intuit.com/welcome/itfp/live.htm?source=qtfp

I am not promoting Turbotax. But I continue to use them because that is where I started and when I go back the next year they already have a lot of basic info that doesn't have to be repeated.

My tax return is pretty straightforward, but even if it weren't, I'd be inclined to use an online service as long as I am living in the DR.

Might also mention it is best to use these services before April 1 because prices go up after that date for many of them.

Last edited:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just wondering

Heres a question....If I work here in DR and make pesos. How would you claim them on USA income tax? Do you have to change the amount to dollars then do taxes on that? And if so what id the exchange rate you use. And also here they do noe give out W2 forms. How do you prove your income without that form? Also if they take out for Social Security here in DR do you have to clain that on an income tax form? Then if you ever do recieve SS from heree do you need to claim that in dollars?
Not that I have to file, I was just wondering how that works.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan, go here http://www.irs.gov/individuals/index.html In a column on left side of page is a link for overseas tax payers. You file a 1040, but do most of your work on a special form for expats. Convert pesos to dollars at the going rate; don't worry about W2 forms. IRS knows that foreign employers don't give W@ forms. Unless you are employed by a US employer in the DR, nothing going to SS. You can call yourself self employed and put money in SS that way if you want. If infuture you collect SS, you have to file tax return but won't pay anything unless you have considerable additional income.

You are a deserving gal, Jan. I hope you have the bad luck of having so much money you must pay a lot of tax. :)