Do you use cash for large transactions?

solartimba

Dec 5, 2003
Soon, I will probably be living in SD for around a year. I have heard that many apartments will require several months paid upfront because of my lack of DR rental history. Fine. My problem is that I hate to fly into SD carrying thousands of dollars in cash. And, even if I exchanged money there, I would hate to drive around SD with such a large amount of cash. Is there any alternative that is similar to writing a check? What would you do?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Writing a check and exchanging it for pesos at a banco de cambio. A great many expats do that. But first you must establish a relationship with a friendly banco de cambio. Somebody living in the area where you will be may be able to make some suggestions.

Also, it may be that the person you are paying will take your check if it is on a US bank. For example, my wife must have a cataract removed and her doctor told her he would be happy to take her check. It is an easy way for him to get money in his US account.

T

TiberiusMineola

Citibank ? ? ?

I suggest that you try Citibank; it has offices in the USA & the DR. Also, some [perhaps many] DRs will acept checks, as long as the foreign party can wait 1, 2 weeks for the checks to clear. An oral surgeon in Santiago accepted 2, 3 USA checks from me; all cleared; no problem