How to get from Cabarete to San Pedro de Maloris?

beanie16

Mar 16, 2004
Is there public transportation I could take? would I be able to get back late at night? How far would it be?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Assuming you mean San Pedro de Macoris

beanie16 said:
Is there public transportation I could take? would I be able to get back late at night? How far would it be?

I haven't heard of "Maloris" but SP de Macoris (commonly just called San Pedro) is a large city east of Boca Chica about 40 Km, and Boca Chica is about 40 Km east of Santo Domingo. And you are a 5 hour bus trip from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. And of course you have to get from Cabarete to Puerto Plata to take the bus.

Once in Santo Domingo there is no scheduled bus service east, just gua gua's that are cheap but stop running completely around 10 p.m. and resume around 5 a.m. (There is one Santo Domingo to Higuey (Punta Cana) bus daily and I suppose you can jump of at San Pedro. But this would be hard to schedule).

So add it up - say an hour to get yourself somehow Cabarete to PP, then at least 5 hours on Metro to Santo Domingo. Then gua guas for 2 hours to SP, total maybe 8 hours and three different forms of transportation.

You can hire a car for I'd guess US$150.

I am not totally sure what you mean can you get back at night but if you are planning to do this in one day you will spend 18 hours of that 24 hour day on buses + waiting around for them and you have to keep the gua gua schedule in mind.

Do you have any particular reason to make such a long trip?

beanie16

Mar 16, 2004
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize it was so far. I'm staying near Cabarete and have friends staying at San Pedro I was hoping to meet up with. Looks like it's not going to happen. Thanks though.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
beanie16 said:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize it was so far. I'm staying near Cabarete and have friends staying at San Pedro I was hoping to meet up with. Looks like it's not going to happen. Thanks though.

benie16, besides Metro or CaribeTours you can also go with Transporte Cibao to Santo Domingo.
Transporte Cibao bus starts just besides CabibeTours bus station in Sosua/Cheramicos (about 15 min taxi/guagua drive from Cabarete). This busses are a little bit smaller and some less comfortable than CaribeTours busses, but they are ok.
The big advantage with Transporte Cibao is that the first bus in the morning starts already at 3am, so you are at about 7am in Santo Domingo. Another advantage is that right at the bus station of Transporte Cibao in Santo Domingo there go other busses imediately to Higuey (San Pedro is on the way before Higuey). So you should be able to be in San Pedro latest around 10am.
You have to check in SanPedro, when the last bus leaves in the afternoon back to Santo Domingo. And also, when Tr. Cibao last bus leaves from Santo Domingo to Sosua - I'm not sure about their schedule back. For the way back to Sosua, I always chose CaribeTours, their last bus leaves at 7pm in Santo Domingo to Sosua. If you choose this bus you are at about 11:30pm in Sosua, from there with a taxi at about midnight back in Cabarete.
So it is quiet a trip, but indeed doable in one day, if you really have or want to.

quaqualita

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Alternative Idea

beanie16 said:

Ask the friends to go at least as far as the capital and then you take the bus straight through and meet them there and then go off in separate directions -they can do a taxi affordably (if they are fluent they can do the gug-gua's quite simply all the way) and you can use the bus cheaply.

Santo Domingo is an good place to meet up as there is a lot to see.

Notwithstanding the other reply using Transport Cibao the idea of a round trip in only one day that far is just too much time, work and distance.