Do Dominicans Eat Fried Chicken?

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
I mean, I know I've seen a few fried chicken restaurants in ZC- I think even a KFC, but would it be uncommon for a family in the DR to fry up some chicken as a regular dish at dinner time in their home?

Or is it like Americans and Chinese food? You know how we'll visit Panda Express and order General Tso's and an egg roll but probably never ever cook it in our homes.

I'm just curious.

Smooches....Clip.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
ClippedWing said:
I mean, I know I've seen a few fried chicken restaurants in ZC- I think even a KFC, but would it be uncommon for a family in the DR to fry up some chicken as a regular dish at dinner time in their home?

Or is it like Americans and Chinese food? You know how we'll visit Panda Express and order General Tso's and an egg roll but probably never ever cook it in our homes.

I'm just curious.

Smooches....Clip.

I remember when I was growing up in the DR and my parents w/ go out Friday evenings, cook will prepare chicharones de pollo (boneless fried chicken) for us kids, we used to be in our glory! Thinking back, I have to say that it was only served to us during those times we dined alone as a light dinner but it was never served as a regular meal in our household.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In my house,run by and for Dominicans,we eat lots of chicken!

Stewed,mixed with rice(Locrio),baked(Holidays a must!),and fried too.Not batter dipped however! It is set aside to "Season" for a few hours,or overnight in the refrigerator with onions,garlic,peppers,corriander,etc,then fried in a fry pan in oil.There is a "Pica Pollo" (Fried chicken" store) on every corner in the DR.Plus carts along the streets!YES,they eat a lot of "Fried Chicken"! Only "Salami" is eaten more."Cris Colon

pati

Feb 3, 2004
On my last visit to DR we had dinner at a friends house and his mother served fried chicken.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
??????????????

ClippedWing said:

I'm just curious.

Smooches....Clip.

WHO DOESN'T EAT FRIED CHICKEN??????????????

mami

Mar 16, 2004
iT SOUNDS LIKE

Forbeca said:
I think CW asked if dominicans cook fried chicken at home, or do they mostly eat it out.

THAT'S LIKE ASKING ANYBODY IF THEY EAT PIZZA! DOESN'T EVERYBODY. OR JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY?

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Stewed,mixed with rice(Locrio),baked(Holidays a must!),and fried too.Not batter dipped however! It is set aside to "Season" for a few hours,or overnight in the refrigerator with onions,garlic,peppers,corriander,etc,then fried in a fry pan in oil.There is a "Pica Pollo" (Fried chicken" store) on every corner in the DR.Plus carts along the streets!YES,they eat a lot of "Fried Chicken"! Only "Salami" is eaten more."Cris Colon

I know what you're talking about. The first time I had chicken like that was in Cuba, I think it's called Spanish style or something, where they don't flour it, just season it and fry it. It was very good.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
No dominicans eat fried rats and honey baked dogs.
What type of a question is that 'do dominicans eat fried chicken?". Even chinese eat fried chicken. If they do or don't what difference does it make? There is Pollo victorina and KFC and not to mention a million Pica Pollos everywhere. Now if you folks just get out of all inclusive resorts you just might learn a few things about dominicans. They are normal human being like you folks.
Have a nice day.
AZB (in bad mood).

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
JanH said:
i suppose they do, considering there are several recipes in Aunt Clara's Dominican Cooking. I tried one of the fried recipes last time I was down there. turned out very good.

http://www.dominicancooking.com/recipes/meats.htm

These ingredients sound tasty and the pic looked even better. Thanks. I'm a email it to my mom and have her fry me up some when I go home.

Ingredients:
2 lbs of chicken
2 lemons cut into halves
1 cube of chicken stock
1/2 cup of chopped parsley
1 small red onion chopped into small cubes
2 cups of oil
1/2 teaspoon of mashed garlic
1 cup of all purpose wheat flour
Salt

Smooches...Clip.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
AZB said:
AZB (in bad mood).

We can see. I happen to like Pollo Victorina myself. Maybe the poster just felt like talking (writing) and wanted to keep it light and possibly upbeat. I hope you feel better soon AZB

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Forbeca said:
I remember when I was growing up in the DR and my parents w/ go out Friday evenings, cook will prepare chicharones de pollo (boneless fried chicken) for us kids, we used to be in our glory! Thinking back, I have to say that it was only served to us during those times we dined alone as a light dinner but it was never served as a regular meal in our household.

Thanks, I'm just interested in learning what type of foods transcend country borders. Like I was in Argentina and they have a common meat called blood sausage. It was like on every menu, my friend who's from there ordered it everytime we ate out. It was the grossest thing I'd ever seen but she gobbled it up like it was chicken and said it was a common dish. None of the Argentines seemed to have a problem with the fact that it looked like bloody chopped up intenstines. She offered me a bite but I couldn't even do it.

Do they serve blood sausage in the DR? Or is that just a South American thing?

Just curious.

Smooches...Clip.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
ClippedWing said:
Thanks, I'm just interested in learning what type of foods transcend country borders. Like I was in Argentina and they have a common meat called blood sausage. It was like on every menu, my friend who's from there ordered it everytime we ate out. It was the grossest thing I'd ever seen but she gobbled it up like it was chicken and said it was a common dish. None of the Argentines seemed to have a problem with the fact that it looked like bloody chopped up intenstines. She offered me a bite but I couldn't even do it.

Just curious.

Smooches...Clip.

yes, they eat something called morzilla (spelling?) which I believe is the same as blood sausage. I have never had it but I know some dominicans think it's very tasty.

Last edited:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
ClippedWing said:

Smooches...Clip.

yes they do serve it.

south american thing? it's very common in parts of europe.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
After being away from the DR for awhile, the first thing I did when I returned for a visit was to go to a little restaurant in La Romana and order some chicharrones de pollo, platanos maduros and a "bien fria". Now that is heaven. And it don't taste like no freak'n KFC!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Blood Sausage is popular in parts of Germany, wonder if it was brought to Argentina by German migration in the 30's, 40's, and 50's.

I grew up in Germany and hated it. But most other German sausage is the best in the world!