Party suggestions please

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
On the 27th i am having a Dominican themed party in 'wet n windy england' for some friends of mine, who are made up of..........

a) A dominican who is over here (he married one of my friends)
b) People who have already been to the DR
c) People who are going to the DR this year

What suggestions could you come up with for me to make this an interesting experience for all?

I have got a fair bit of merengue music because we are going to be dancing most of the night.
I will be providing PLENTY of rum (not brugal barcelo etc unfortunately)
I have downloaded a few pictures of the DR which i will be printing off and putting on the walls of our 'merengue room'.

What else can you suggest?
Thanks

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As soon as the party really starts to "ROCK"!............

...cut the electric lines to the building!!!That will give them a true "Taste" of the DR! :D Cris Colon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Criss Colon said:
...cut the electric lines to the building!!!That will give them a true "Taste" of the DR! :D Cris Colon

Bwahhhhhhhh!!!! Thanks for giving my nose a coffee enema :)

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
yes, our CC is a riot.

Got a kick out of that one myself.

tiredboy, I think you got the right idea for your party. As DB stated, dominican food is a plus, so try some of those recipes.

I'll give it some thought and if I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Last time we had one we did a whole pig (see 'oh what a night' - trip reports)
Thanks for the recipes link, i will have a good look at that.

keep the ideas coming, thanks!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I am not trying to be funny but...

The newly transplanted Dominicans who will be there already have been to a lot of Dominican parties - maybe they are curious as to how an English party is.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Let me give you a few more ideas for a "True Dominican Experience"!

Go to the local animal shelter and get the loan of 3 or four of their worst,"hairless", dogs to roam around the party.Play the music as loud as you can through "Blown" speakers,that way no one can hear each other,or understand the lyrics either!Tell everyone that the party starts at 8 sharp,but don't start until after 11!Have several fans running to keep everyone cool,take the protective covers off the fans,so that every 15 or 20 minutes, someone will back into the blade and give out a loud "Cono"!!!!"Del Diablo"!Maldito Abanico"!!!Drink out of disposable plastic cups,after each drink,throw the cup into the street,then get a new cup!!If you are going to have kids at the party,have a motor bike standing by to take 2 or 3 of them to the "Clinica" for cuts and bruises during the night!
We usually have one family member "Thrown Out" per gathering.They are told to never ever come back agian,(At least for two days that means!)As long as you end up with everyone dancing "Bachata" at 3 am.,including all children able to walk, :dead: you will have had a successful party! Cris Colon

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Chris,if they have been to a funeral,

They know what an "English" party is like! Note To Self:Never use the words "English",and "Party" in the same sentence!!It's like saying: English "Gourmet" food! "Toad-In-The-Hole"anyone,or how about some "World Class "Bangers & Mashed"?? :classic:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Criss Colon said:

That's a great one CC, can't stop chuckling.

Tired_boy at least locate an old beat-up 1000W generator with a line connected to one light bulb. Place the generator on the steps to the flat with the line snaked through a window.

Also, find at least four white plastic chairs, table, and dominoes to place under the bulb.

If you cannot find cold Presidentes, have whiskey at hand.

Tell the non-Dominican party goers to show up an hour late.

All the women guests have to dress in tight fitting jeans (sprayed on) and tops.

The men have to have baseball caps and pull on rubber boots.

Have a great time!

Regards,
PJT

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Chris_NJ said:
The newly transplanted Dominicans who will be there already have been to a lot of Dominican parties - maybe they are curious as to how an English party is.

What is a 'newly transplanted Dominican' exactly'? If you are referring to the lad who has married an english girl and now lives here................he has been here years.

Has anyone got any suggestions for this party? Thanks so far for the helpful posts. :)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Erm...........

Criss Colon said:
If they have been to a funeral they know what an "English" party is like! Note To Self:Never use the words "English",and "Party" in the same sentence!!It's like saying: English "Gourmet" food! "Toad-In-The-Hole"anyone,or how about some "World Class "Bangers & Mashed"?? :classic:

Here we go...........

a) its 'Bangers & Mash'
b) i am sure my thread had something to do with party suggestions and not insulting the english.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I had a little gathering in Jan. and made Dominican dishes from The Aunt's site

I made habichuelas blancas con longaniza, pan de aqua, rice of course and Dominican Cake. Some musica, mamajuana, and wine and we had a good time.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Ok, I will layoff the English and recount my first of many Dominican parties (although most have been in NYC).

It was March 2001, and my Dominican friend invited me to a party in his apartment because his mother was away in DR. I had had a miserable first date with some girl during the afternoon so I had that itch for a good party. I started out at some hippie party in Greenwich Village. After the stench of pechuli and weed got to me, I went way uptown to my friends apt. in the Dykman Houses. I thought I was late but when I got there my friend was there alone still ironing his clothes (I was painfully underdressed).

After a few shots of Brugal and Coronas, the music started and my friend’s sister gave me some dancing lessons. As, the people started rolling in around 11:30 I really got into the flow. We all drank and danced non-stopped for hours. My roommate said that when I stumbled home at like 7:30am I woke him because I was singing some crazy song (it turned out to be Anthony Santos “pegame tu vicio.”

So, the keys to success of that party were:

Lot’s of well dressed friendly people in the mood for a good time crammed into a small living room, very loud music bachata/merengue (which led to the end of the party when the cops came and quieted everyone), copious amounts of brugal, Hennessy, and beer, some leftover chivo from the fridge, those sandwiches that Dominicans make – it was like bread soaked in ketchup/mayo with tuna fish (or something like that), and plastic covering every couch because I am sure I spilled some drinks.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
We had a party last Saturday. About 80% of the people there were Dominicans or married to one. It was awesome, the last people left at 4:30 when we ran out of booze, and some went to another house and stayed until 6:30. It was a great night, filled with dancing and listening to loud music (while watching boxing on our big screen at the same time), awesome food (arroz blanco, habichuelas guisado, locrio de pollo, sancocho, empa?adas, pescado con coco, and that awesome Dominican potato salad), lots of booze, and great company. The Dominicans were doing that hilarious "Dominican line dance" thing they do when they get drinking and listening to good music. I had to retire at about 2:30, as these pregnancy hormones are making me crazily tired! Baby number 2 (three with my stepson) on the way! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
trina said:
I had to retire at about 2:30, as these pregnancy hormones are making me crazily tired! Baby number 2 (three with my stepson) on the way! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

And you didn't tell me? Congrats Trina and Angel. When's the baby due?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
And you didn't tell me? Congrats Trina and Angel. When's the baby due?

HAHAHA! I was sending you an e-mail when you posted this. Check your e-mails...thanks Anna!

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks for ideas so far, the basics are all catered for i.e music and booze.

Has anyone been to a themed DR party outside the DR and thought 'that was a good idea - i almost felt there for a minute or two'.

I am just after a few ideas to beat the last one i went to. Seeing as the colours on the DR flag are white, blue and red i am going to have coloured paper/card cut out and put on string around the edges of the ceiling, maybe balloons.

Any more ideas?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I think the best way to guarantee the success of your party is to be a good host. The Dominicans I know don't care much about decorations, but they would care if their beer wasn't "bien fria" (put it in the freezer for a while to get it nice and cold before serving, with a napkin around the neck is a "dominican touch". Make sure you have tons of music on hand, hit random, turn up the volume, and you're set! If you're not going to serve food, make sure you have plenty of snacks, ie chips, those pork-chip things, etc. If you're in the States, you can probably find Presidente beer and Brugal...if not, a good alternative would be Heinekken (bottles, not cans), and perhaps Corona. Have mamajuana? If not, see if you can find a recipe to make it. Those things are what is going to make your party, as well as being a good host.

HINT: If you have access to pre-season baseball, it might be a good idea to find a Yankees game (although I'm not a fan, but the Dominicans will be watching them closely this year because of the Rodriguez trade - they're just waiting to see how he'll fare at 3rd base), Cubs game, Braves game, or probably any would do. If not, boxing is a good runner-up. Have the TV on, and they'll be in heaven!

Buena Suerte!