Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Party suggestions please

On the 27th i am having a Dominican themed party in 'wet n windy england' for some friends of mine, who are made up of..........

a) A dominican who is over here (he married one of my friends)
    b) People who have already been to the DR
    c) People who are going to the DR this year

What suggestions could you come up with for me to make this an interesting experience for all?

I have got a fair bit of merengue music because we are going to be dancing most of the night.
    I will be providing PLENTY of rum (not brugal barcelo etc unfortunately)
    I have downloaded a few pictures of the DR which i will be printing off and putting on the walls of our 'merengue room'.

What else can you suggest?
    Thanks
    Last edited by tired_boy; 03-19-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What about food?

Try Aunt Clara's dominican cookery site
    http://dominicancooking.com/dominicanrecipes.htm

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default As soon as the party really starts to "ROCK"!............

...cut the electric lines to the building!!!That will give them a true "Taste" of the DR! Cris Colon

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    ...cut the electric lines to the building!!!That will give them a true "Taste" of the DR! Cris Colon
    Bwahhhhhhhh!!!! Thanks for giving my nose a coffee enema

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default yes, our CC is a riot.

Got a kick out of that one myself.

tiredboy, I think you got the right idea for your party. As DB stated, dominican food is a plus, so try some of those recipes.

I'll give it some thought and if I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    You are soooo bad.LOL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Last time we had one we did a whole pig (see 'oh what a night' - trip reports)
    Thanks for the recipes link, i will have a good look at that.

keep the ideas coming, thanks!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am not trying to be funny but...

The newly transplanted Dominicans who will be there already have been to a lot of Dominican parties - maybe they are curious as to how an English party is.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let me give you a few more ideas for a "True Dominican Experience"!

Go to the local animal shelter and get the loan of 3 or four of their worst,"hairless", dogs to roam around the party.Play the music as loud as you can through "Blown" speakers,that way no one can hear each other,or understand the lyrics either!Tell everyone that the party starts at 8 sharp,but don't start until after 11!Have several fans running to keep everyone cool,take the protective covers off the fans,so that every 15 or 20 minutes, someone will back into the blade and give out a loud "Cono"!!!!"Del Diablo"!Maldito Abanico"!!!Drink out of disposable plastic cups,after each drink,throw the cup into the street,then get a new cup!!If you are going to have kids at the party,have a motor bike standing by to take 2 or 3 of them to the "Clinica" for cuts and bruises during the night!
    We usually have one family member "Thrown Out" per gathering.They are told to never ever come back agian,(At least for two days that means!)As long as you end up with everyone dancing "Bachata" at 3 am.,including all children able to walk, you will have had a successful party! Cris Colon

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Chris,if they have been to a funeral,

They know what an "English" party is like! Note To Self:Never use the words "English",and "Party" in the same sentence!!It's like saying: English "Gourmet" food! "Toad-In-The-Hole"anyone,or how about some "World Class "Bangers & Mashed"??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast