Tego Calderon really blew it this time

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The king of regetton laid an egg and will be taking a lot of heat in the next few days prior to his projected concert at Altos de Chavon with Tono Rosario.
It turns out that the videos on Tego's last concert got out(I saw them in a morning program) and what I saw was nauseating. This guy was openly inciting young people to buy marijuana. His whole set on stage was a marijuana commercial, with marijuana plant logos and laser projections of the joint plants. It now appears that Tego and his regetton counterpart Falo have become Cali Cartel poster boys and could be now partners in the drug business. Their whole appeal seems to be recruiting the new generation of his fans into the drug vice.
I really enjoyed some of his previous music, even though it wasn't as if you were listening to a David Bowie or Jackson Browne. But it was fun for dancing and just jiving. But this new stuff should be banned and his visa cancelled just like they did to Bunbury before he came to DR.
TW

"

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Yes, you can screw around with anything you want in this country, but one way or another, sooner or later messing with the DRUGS in DR soil will FRY your A$$...Glad they did that even though the music was good and sticky.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Golo100 said:
even though it wasn't as if you were listening to a David Bowie or Jackson Browne. "
Jackson Browne?
I have lost a lot of respect for you dude!

Anyway. I expect that he will soon be getting into a bit of an altercation with some P.N. Types. Remember Tony Ceval?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
C A L D ER O N..TEGO CALDERON EL PERRO INFIEL..LOL

LO QUE NO TeNGO DE LINDO LO TENGO EN PIN*A..(couldn't resist)

I have heard a few of his songs and they are catchy

Golo,

are you really that surprised at what you saw? I heard someone describe him as a "tecato"

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Just curious...

Where was this concert where the video was shot?
We just had Tego performing for our Budweiser/Salsa 98.3 stage at Calle 8 here in Miami. During his performance, a bunch of ******** started arguing, but before a fight could break out, Tego stopped his band and told the crowd to either settle down or the concert was over.
That doesn't sound to me like a guy that would entice anyone to do anything like buying the stuff or such.
I met him on Monday, and told him personally that I found his lyrics a little offensive sometimes, but I do admire the way he handles the social issues. He was very sweet, said he understood what I was saying. The man seems to me to be very smart, he's not an 'improvisado' like some singers I know...he even went to a "Conservatorio de M?sica"...
And anyway....How come you are so shocked by all this? Have you been to any concerts here in the States? They do that stuff all the time!!!
I am still too naive? I would love to see the videos for myself. Would you happen to know where I could get a peek?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
I dont understand what's the problem?

Fernandito Villalona has problem with drug and can make concerts.

Almost every artist are involved in drugs consume, in the Dominican Rep, even if you have a t-shirt having a weed leaf you can get in trouble. They always in the Dominican give a Hard time to international artist.

**Who remenber the case of the singer "El General" from Panam?? Big drama big deal because he was wearing army clothes. by that time he was like tego #1.

They give you hard time in the Dominican Rep, also if you are rasta is like Trujillo mentality "Brain or whatever you want to call" One season was a big deal with "Playero 38 Music" Regueaton" How many Dominican singer are involve too. My goodness. What about Raulin Rosendo?

Many Dominicans are like that, when you are having success they grab you legs pushing you back to the begining. About To?o Rosario, I dont know if you guys remenber after he separated from the Band "Los Hermanos Rosario" he went to Puerto Rico for a few year and dedicated a few songs to Puerto Rico it's was big scandal saying that he was anti-patriot.

Is Tego Calderon giving flyers to people to buy m J.?

If he consume or not is his problem, is like he is the only artist.

You know what that's Dogsh**t, maybe because he did not give some $$ to some people in there that why are doing that bad promotion.

Homer

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
simpson Homer said:
Fernandito Villalona has problem with drug and can make concerts.

Almost every artist are involved in drugs consume, in the Dominican Rep, even if you have a t-shirt having a weed leaf you can get in trouble. They always in the Dominican give a Hard time to international artist.

**Who remenber the case of the singer "El General" from Panam?? Big drama big deal because he was wearing army clothes. by that time he was like tego #1.

They give you hard time in the Dominican Rep, also if you are rasta is like Trujillo mentality "Brain or whatever you want to call" One season was a big deal with "Playero 38 Music" Regueaton" How many Dominican singer are involve too. My goodness. What about Raulin Rosendo?

Many Dominicans are like that, when you are having success they grab you let pushing you back to the begining. About To?o Rosario, I dont know if you guys remenber after he separated from the Band "Los Hermanos Rosario" he went to Puerto Rico for a few year and dedicated a few songs to Puerto Rico
it's was big scandal saying that he was anti-patriot.

Is Tego Calderon giving flyers to people to buy m J.?

If he consume or not is his problem, is like he is the only artist.

You know what that's Dogsh**t, maybe because he did not give some $$ to some people in there that why are doing that bad promotion.

Homer

very true...it's his money so he can do what he wants...i remember when getting a FADE haircut was looked at in a negative way in DR (some people still do). People would look at you and say " esa pela esta caliente" lol

I heard stories of guys being pulled to the side at the DR airports because of haircuts and wearing earings.

as far as Tego talking about MJ, have any of you seen any of the rap aka hip hop artists? all they talk about is "bitches" and "hoes" and getting high all the time.

as far as Tego, he has been known to use heavy drugs but that is his business..

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I'm with Musicqueen on this one cause this is normal compared to all the other crazy things artists have done and still do. Courtney Love just busted somebody in the head with her mic stand, and he was her fan!! I'd rather be shown fake weed plants at a concert then have my head cracked. Tego is the man and there's no way he will get in trouble for something like this because he has way too many fans in DR. Long live El Abayarde!!!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I cant believe what i just read from Golo.
First things first, what the local authorities did to Enrique Bunbury was an act of hypocricy and typical of the dominican ignorant neo-puritanian, McCarthystic frame of mind. If they did that to Bunbury, why not to all the Fernando Villalonas, To?o Rosarios, Chichi Peraltas and the rest of the Coke loving merengueros? not to mention bachateros.

Noooo, we CAN NOT demand from our own artists what we can demand from foreign performers. Is that the case Golo? Peeeeelease

Tell you what, I'd be honored to smoke a doobie with Tego while you discuss drug issues with Mr. David Bowie and ........Jackson Browne....did I hear that right?

Cali Cartel WHAT?!?!Raight...just like Dr. Dre, Beastie Boys, Air, Outkast, David Bowie (oh, wait), Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Rita Lee, Los ROdriguez, Bebel Gilberto and just about everyone who has sung about drugs. And while we are at it dont forget to banm the works of Mr. Sigmund Freud, cocaine's most notorious poster boy!

I seriously dont know why Dominicans are so tight about drug issues, c'mon we are not freaking Switzerland (not that there is anything wrong with the Swiss) we ARE the connection point for most drugs that travel from S.A. to the US and Europe. I bet some of the stuff Mr. Bunbury subscribes to probably comes from good old trusty Dominican mules given the OK to go by good old Dominican authorities.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
uhm

samiam said:
I seriously dont know why Dominicans are so tight about drug issues, c'mon we are not freaking Switzerland (not that there is anything wrong with the Swiss) we ARE the connection point for most drugs that travel from S.A. to the US and Europe. I bet some of the stuff Mr. Bunbury subscribes to probably comes from good old trusty Dominican mules given the OK to go by good old Dominican authorities.

All is money $$$$, What you don't buy in RD with $? $o that's a way how to pu$h some one. For sure if Tego would go there to inve$t some money will be not treated like that. Or even better because he is not friend of the big head in DR. all this people against him are GUASA GUASA.

Homer

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Misunderstood or what????

Many Dominicans, including myself have objected to Tego Calderon's recent concert in DR not because he uses drugs, but because he openly carried out a promotional act of using marijuana in front of a very youthful audience. Those who do not know how Dominicans think are the same people who still do not understand Islamic people and their way of life. Openly promoting drugs is not only an illegal act punishable by jail terms, but it is a taboo in DR.While drugs are easily obtainable and consumed by some youth in DR, it is a highly objectionable practice in our society. Most Dominicans, including youth do not consume drugs.
I repeat(and I saw the whole episode in video form)Tego was singing a new song which openly promoted the use of marijuana, unlike any of his past songs, which I enjoyed very much. He had huge screens with pictures of marijuana plants, mixed in with drug culture figures and laser projections of marijuana plants all over the stage.
The Dominican authorities upon seeing the video agree with me and those who did not like this performance and it is now 90% likely he will be declared persona-non-grata for this concert and will not perform again. That is unless he apologizes or does something that will change people's minds. I doubt he will. But he has everything to lose. Although he can sell records, regetton is trying to clean up its image in the mainstream. This is not going to improve the genre at all.
Promotion of drugs is a no-no in DR. Fernando Villalona was in the **** hole until he cleaned up his act. Many people including myself believe he is an asshole anyway, and will not forgive him. Just like I do not contribute to drug safe house addicts like Hogares Crea. Nobody ever had to tell me not to use drugs. Drugs are a piece of ****. Do sex-no drugs.
TW

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I have mixed emotions about this thead. I do agree with Golo that if the message was a clear declaration to do weed, it shouldnt go on. Smoking anything is not seen as a 'cool' thing in DR, you cant even smoke in most clubs over there - that is not a bad thing. They are slowy banning smoking in the US altogether, NOW, these laws have been in place in DR for a long long time.

As far as the artists mentioned before, all good performers, but just because they are good they should have the freedom to preach their habits to the public? I love Tego, however, I dont like that he is inticing the public to weed it up. Fernandito was not allowed to leave the country until he got his stuff together. And all the others (i.e. Raulin Rosendo, Alex Bueno, and To?o) were looked down upon by the high end concert promoters b/c of their dealings with drugs.

Are you guys saying that drugs are OK to be sung about and promoted in concerts? there are a lot of mis-guided kids out there that dont understand that 'cool' doesnt equal to doing drugs and looking like a thug. A lot of these kids are very impresionable and these artists are doing a diservice to the public.

When Dr. Dre came out with the Cronic album, all my friends in school thought it was the coolest thing to smoke weed! Talk about influence!!

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
Music does have a very strong influence on young folks, which is why parents should take some responsiblity in screening what their kids listen to. However, there's only so much a parent can do so if Tego did openly say "smoke weed" or "smoking a fat one is cool," then he was wrong for that since it was at a concert open to the general public. I don't see anything wrong if he says it on his albums, but not in public. Does anybody know what song he sang that was so controversial? A video link would be cool too if it is available online.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I did some research...

on the subject...it turns out that HE was not promoting the use of marijuana...while he was singing, the screens were projecting a video from a Bob Marley concert...of course HE (Marley) had the images of the marijuana in the video. :mad:

I think the people that are critizicing Tego are just a bunch of hypocrites...or better yet...someone is trying to can the concert altogether...maybe too much competition for another promoter? Maybe Beras-Goyco and the others are not getting any money from it? :dead: :paranoid:

Tons of questions to be answered kids...unfortunately, Tego will end up paying the consequences... But you know what? That will only make the kids want to see him and sing his songs even more! :cool:

Forbidden fruits... :lick:

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Musicqueen said:
on the subject...it turns out that HE was not promoting the use of marijuana...while he was singing, the screens were projecting a video from a Bob Marley concert...of course HE (Marley) had the images of the marijuana in the video. :mad:

I think the people that are critizicing Tego are just a bunch of hypocrites...or better yet...someone is trying to can the concert altogether...maybe too much competition for another promoter? Maybe Beras-Goyco and the others are not getting any money from it? :dead: :paranoid:

Tons of questions to be answered kids...unfortunately, Tego will end up paying the consequences... But you know what? That will only make the kids want to see him and sing his songs even more! :cool:

Forbidden fruits... :lick:

MRS. MUSIC QUEEN i'm a Tego Calderon die hard with limitations, have you ever being to a Tego New York Concert or one of his concerts in Puerto Rico, i guess not since you find the newpaper info so odd............

anything that promotes drugs to the kids needs to be shutdown; even at your SALSA 98 stage this past (CALLE 8) I WAS THERE and saw afew 13 year old little girls (THEY COULDNT BE OLDER) PERRIANDO AND (((SMOKING WEED))) (((YERBA))) (((MARIHUANA))) do you think that is wright? just wanted to know.................... :bunny:

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Its all settled

Well, the guy was cancelled. No more concerts in DR, at least he must check with the regulatory agency before he signs another concert contract or personal appearance. Tego should pay for this and this was the correct action. What he should do now is apologize instead of justifying his garbage concert. His music is really cool. But he stepped out of boundaries here. Of course, he will become the forbidden fruit, but not in public. At least until he straightens out his act. Bunbury had the same problem. He has never returned because he refuses to apologize. Well, ever since his music does not sell as well as before in DR and as long as he misses public appearances, his promotions suffer, here and abroad. Every country you lose is a big loss.
TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Lyrics to "Bonsai" the song Tego sang while video

was playing with marijuana images from Marley's concert and laser images projected by laser equipment hired for concert. My translation is next to the real lyrics in Spanish. Note that translation is based on current drug lingo. Bonsai is the code word for marijuana plant. "Dejala caer" and everything related to the verb "bajar" means smoking it.

"Mira, compay(listen compay)
Yo me fumaria un bonsai(I would smoke a bonsai)
Si tu sabes donde hay, me trae(if you know where to find, bring me some)
Mira, compay
Yo me fumaria un bonsai(I would smoke a bonsai)
Si tu sabes donde hay, me trae
Mira, compay
Yo me fumaria un bonsai
Mira, compay
Yo me fumaria un bonsai

Oye, dejala caer que yo me encargo (listen, let her fall, I will take care)
Si sobra algo yo guardo(if there's some left over, I will safeguard it)
Y 'tamos gozando(and we will be enjoying)
Sueno con pepa(I dream with weed)
Aunque yo le saco las semillas(even though I extract the seed)
La prefiero mexicana como Pancho Villa(I prefer the mexican type like Pancho Villa)
Por culpa de Osama la cosa se ha puesto mala(thanks to Osama things have turned real bad)
En estos dias el lujo es fumar marijuana(these days smoking marijuana is in)
To' el mundo en baja"(the whole world is taking it down)

courtesy of TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Hmm, yes. It is still a case of hipocricy to me.
Fito can sing about doing coke and sipping whiskey on TV and poor Tego can't talk about smoking a J!
I cant help but be reminded of 1950's movies like Reefer Madness when I rerad some of the posts here. I wouldnt believe this little island was so high on morals and ethics.
sheesh, what next? women using a burka?

Last edited:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Golo

I do agree in principle that promotion of drug use to minors is 100% wrong.

I also note there is a law here that prohibits drug paraphernelia and any promotion of illegal drug use.

With the above said, it must also be mentioned that the enforcement of such a law can be brought to draconian levels if not managed carefully.

Double standards are commonplace in the DR, easily noticed when one sees the countless numbers of merengue and bachata groups lowering standards to silly levels using hidden messages (doble sentido) etc., all in the name of sales (BLas Duran among others), than we see espectaculos publicos ban a Venezuelan song that does the same ("Ponte en cuatro" I think was the name of the song).

When questionable moral measurements are used to ban a song or any form of art or expression, we start to navigate in dangerous waters where the fine line that separates freedom of speech and tyranny lies.

Last edited:

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
e-mail I sent to Tego thru his web page

"Dear Tego: I have always enjoyed regetton and particularly your music. But your recent concert in Dominican Republic where you showed images of marijuana plants and evoked the use of marijuana thru your song "Bonsai" was out of step with Dominican customs, mores, family rules and laws. I suggest that rather than justify your use of these images and music portraying marijuana use and promotion, that you should apologize to the Dominican people and tell us that you will never again try something like this in our country. While you are free to promote your music and lyrics any way you want under the freedom of speech, you must understand that here in Santo Domingo this is illegal and you must respect our laws and desires. I hope you understand and swallow your performer's pride and due the right thing. Remember, you are not alone. Enrique Bunbury was banned for life here for the same reason and because he does not want to change, he has lost direct contact with Dominican people thru concerts. He ended up losing our market for concerts. Be smart and apologize. Remember, you did not write the song "Dominicana" for nothing. You need our market.

TW