Buying vs. Bringing basic toiletries

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Hi everyone,

I did a search and couldn't really find anything about buying things like shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc. Almost every post regarding that topic relates to cars or other household items.

I'm going to the DR for four months and I'm debating on whether or not to bring bring those items, or to buy them there. Can anyone recommend what I should do? Are these things really expensive to buy in the DR?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

lilcanadiangal :classic:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know how the price compares, but all these items are readily obtained. Most large supermarkets have a section stocked with a variety of shampoos, etc.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
I agree with Ken, supermarkets do have a variety of American or European shampoos etc, but they do not have THAT many different brands like back home. And yes, most of them cost at least twice the price, unless the dollar went up drastically within a few days and the supermarket didn't have a chance yet to adjust their pricing in Pesos.
If you live here, you have to get used to pay a lot more for your favourite shampoo (if you're lucky that you can get it here) or switch to a Dominican brand, which is much cheaper and actually not too bad.
For a four months trip, you won't need that many bottles: if you have a special brand you prefer, if you have still enough space in your suitcase, I would bring it with me in your case.

quaqualita

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And it may depend on just where you are going.

There are some areas that are not served by large supermarkets.

Santo Domingo and Santiago and San Francisco de Macoris certainly are.

However, what you need is easily available. We don;t have Lava soap for example, and liquid Dial is scarce. Colgate Total can be found.

Shampoos and conditioners abound inthe markets.

Not to worry.

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Or Not....

melvinfrom NYC said:
It might be cheaper to use pesos to wipe your butt and nose with than buying tissues & TP

The smallest note is RD$10 worth 20 US cents, so that's prettty dubious advice. And it is doubtful she meant toilet paper anyway.

Actually a lot of general personal supplies are not obscenely more than the N. American prices so I woudn't bring an excessive supply of personal grooming items if I had access to a decent sized store in a larger city.

Another major concern is the weight plus the risk of leakage due to pressure changes in the cargo area of the plane and the risk of having quarts of shampoo and conditioner all over your clothes though they'd smell nice and they'd be quite clean.

I buy shampoo and shavng supplies on occasion at the supermarkets in Boca Chica (no bargain bins those stores, generally) and when I reckon the prices back the $ they are not too bad. Except name brand antiperspirant/deodarant sticks they seem about double for some reason. YMMV.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Buy it there...

Even if you save a few dollars by bringing it from abroad, the chance of those bottles breaking on the way and ruining all you have brought is not worth it. For a few month's worth, you will have to bring more than one bottle of all that, which will make your luggage very heavy, cutting your room to pack (most airlines only let you bring 2 luggage items @ 70 lbs each). So I suggest you buy it in DR and use the extra room for clothes and shoes - THAT is hard to find in DR at a good price.

BTW - Does anyone else think those airline pounds are magical? I took out 1 pair of shoes and one jean and that took off 15 lbs!!

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for responding. I'll definitely just buy them there..that's what I wanted to do in the first place, i just wanted to make sure that it was a good idea. I'm not worried about spending a little extra for them, but I am very concerned about the luggage space! Somehow I have to fit enough clothes and shoes, along with everything else, for four months into two suitcases. It's going to be quite the challenge!

Anyways, thanks so much for all your help, it's definitely appreciated. :classic:

lilcanadiangal

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How about telling us where you will be going?

Maybe we can point you in the right direction for some stores and things to see and do, besides whatever it is that is bringing you here in the first place, that is...

A very curious,

HB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
lilcanadiangal said:
Thanks everyone for responding. I'll definitely just buy them there..that's what I wanted to do in the first place, i just wanted to make sure that it was a good idea. I'm not worried about spending a little extra for them, but I am very concerned about the luggage space! Somehow I have to fit enough clothes and shoes, along with everything else, for four months into two suitcases. It's going to be quite the challenge!

Anyways, thanks so much for all your help, it's definitely appreciated. :classic:

lilcanadiangal

Lil' Gal, you can also send a box of items over there, if you find an agency they will get your stuff there very cheap and rapido.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
What I'll be doing...

Hola,

HB - I'm going to be living in Puerto Plata. I'm hoping to get a job of some sort to get me through my summer there, but other than that, I'm probably just going to be volunteering and practicing my Spanish. And of course, tons of dancing! I love the Latin American culture and for the past couple years, since my first trip to Cuba, I've been dreaming of experiencing what life is truly like down there. Right now, I'm studying Spanish and Latin American studies, along with Business, and I think that just being in the DR for four months is an incredible opportunity and I'm so excited it's riduculous.
I hope that eases your curiousity!

Talldrink - That's an excellent idea, I'll have to look into that! Muchas gracias.

If anyone has any suggestions of things I should do while I'm in the country, they would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to be spending my first weekend in Santo Domingo with some friends I have there, with hopes of returning a couple of times, and I am hoping to spend some time in Santiago as well to help out with an organization (AIESEC) that I'm apart of. (I'll have to see how bad the bus rides are!) And, well I'll be living in POP, so anything around that area is great too.

(I've done my research, I'm just looking for personal suggestions)

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
100% Pure Retard PM

melvinfrom NYC said:
It might be cheaper to use pesos to wipe your butt and nose with than buying tissues & TP

FYI - Melvin (who won't receive PMs, just sends them) sent this bon mot today - I am not sure of how legit a $9 million a year construction company owner is who sends this sort of thing:

melvinfrom NYC said:
shut the fu*** up you ***hole canuk [sic]

It seems that posts starring this fellow denigrate into name calling a lot, pity.

NB: The "F" word was spelled wrong too.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Not planning on using pesos for that purpose...

Hey ricktoronto,

I'm definitely not planning on taking that advice, I'm sure I can set aside the extra money to buy some toilet paper rather than resorting to using pesos for that purpose. Melvinfrom NYC seems very anti-Canadian, from looking at his previous posts, what's that about?! Canada is awesome, however, far too cold for my liking. :ermm:

lilcanadiangal

Sure you can find them

quaqualita said:
supermarkets do have a variety of American or European shampoos etc, but they do not have THAT many different brands like back home. And yes, most of them cost at least twice the price,

If you go to super markets like El Nacional, El Pola o something like Multicentro Churchill in SD or El Nacional in Stgo. you will definitely find a wide variety of hair care products, not only dominican and american products but european (specially italian) as well. In the supermarkets you are most likely to find american products like Pantene Pro-V, Pert Plus, Alberto V05, Therma Silk and stuff like it that you would find in pharmacy kinda-stores like CVS, Walgreens, etc.
If you are looking for brand name products like Sebastian, Matrix, Biolage, etc. those are NOT sell on the store or to the public in general, but if you can hook up to a beauty salon owner (the ones that have the Sebastian seal at front) you can ask them to buy them for you.
I won't suggest to bring the toiletries from the states because it can leak on the airplane and mess up your clothes plus they don't allow you to take any aerosol (did I spell that right?) like hair spray for being considered dangerous on the aircraft.
Have a good trip,
Virginia

PS: When are you going to the DR and to what city?
I am planning on going in the middle of April and I will be back in December too.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Less is more.

One of the gifts you find about living in the D.R. is how well you can you sustain youself and feel better without having giving into the needs you have acquired as a result of living in an affluent society. Less is more.

Regards,
PJT

pati

Feb 3, 2004
melvinfrom NYC said:

I'm not saying I agree with that statement but it would explain why I almost always have to ask for toilet tissue when using the facilites at someones house. It never seems to be in the bathroom. What's with that?

But seriously Lilcanandiangal,
I've never stayed in DR that long but I usually take only what I need to hold me over for the first few days and maybe a full supply of my favorite soap. I've actually found a really nice hair gel out there and the shampoos and conditioners were no problem to find. If you use noxema you should bring your own. For some reason it doesn't seem the same out there.

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Thanks again..

Thanks again for all the replies!

VirginaGomes: I'm going to be spending the majority of my time in Puerto Plata. Thanks for the specific info, that's great to know! I just use American products because I'm not too picky, so I don't imagine it'll be too difficult to find something good there. I'll probably try some Dominican products too. That really sucks about the aerosol cans! I had totally forgotten about the problems airlines have with those. Lucky for me that you reminded me, otherwise I might have been given some difficulties at the airport!

PJT: Thanks a lot, that's great advice and I'll definitely keep it in mind while I'm there. The whole point of my trip is to experience what it's really like to live in the Dominican Republic. (As much as possible anyway) I certainly don't want to just get the view that a tourist gets staying at an AI for a couple weeks.

Pati: I'll probably do the same thing (just bring enough to sustain me for the first few days). That way, I don't have to worry too much about spills and whatnot in my luggage.

Thanks so much everyone!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I noticed in the larger Grocery stores that paper towels and toilet paper are about 3 times what they are in the US

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
VirginiaGomes said:
I am glad that the info was of some help.
Have a good trip and don't forget to try "dulce de leche" (desert), jugo de tamarindo (pronounced like tuh-ma-reen-duh) and some empanadas if you find them in POP.
Good luck and have a nice trip.

PS: I will be in Stgo. in April for a month. :)

Thanks!! I'll definitely make sure I try those while I'm there, I'm sure I'll find them somewhere. I've actually tried dulce de leche before here at a little Latin American store. it was sooooooo good! I hope you have a great trip too!