OMG this stupid Italian!!

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
OMG this stupid mind!!

Hello there!!!

Here you have an Italian guy of 36 thinking seriously to live in RD at least 1 year.

I've been reading with great interest all the posts a human being can read in a couple of days (geez i feel dizzy :dead: :) ) and really enjoyed it.

Lots of great infos and suggestions.
Thanks all for their contribution to this forum!

Now before you all eat me alive (j/k), I think I'd better give you a little piece of info about me.

I am from Bologna (north Italy), currently living in Modena (no don't worry you are not going to see a new Ferrari speeding in your neighbourhood very soon.... Lol)

I am a stock trader and I've been doing this job since 1998 (yep I'm one of those 5 % who can make it). I ve never worked for a firm, I just invest my own capital on a daily basis (they call us daytraders) and earn a " decent" amount of money ( aaah the power of compounding).
Oh and by the way, if someone ask me when I'm there, I'm just a poor Italian with no money... :cool:

This basically to say that I don't need to find a job in RD (well actually mentoring could be another source of income, not an easy task anyway...).

I 've read a couple of posts on this forum that makes me think I'm not the only one who needs a fast and reliable connection over there,I know DSL is available in many areas of the country,and I'm also aware of the increase of power outage so here come my questions:

How good is DSL over there? I mean do you experience frequent disconnection or abrupt drop of bandwidth during the day?

I think I can manage to keep the power going on those so frequent "nayluz moments" to supply my 2 laptops( inverters, etc.) but DSL is NOT AN OPTION here, a bad connection can cost me real $ in a few minutes . Obviously as any good risk manager i have a plan B and C (dialup connection, broker telephone etc).
This job is stressful enough without the need of more complication.

I keep reading of people suffering from robbery in their home, I've even read of thieves in your room while you'r sleeping ( that sucks big time, sorry for this guy really), do they sell alarm systems over there? (sorry I know RD is not Africa) or do I have to stick a metal plate at my door : EL GRINGO QUE VIVE AQUI TIENE LA CABEZA LOCA, UNA PISTOLA Y UNA PASSION PARA MATAR LOS LADRONES? :mad: .

I won't ask others questions till I have this DSL issue cleared.
Thanks a lot for you help

CIAO ! Marco
P.s. Any Italian living there, member of this forum?

No Pain No Gain

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have the systems

I am sure that Robert (dr1Robert) can tell you all about what you should have to avoid those nasty computer blackouts that cold cost you $$$.

Basically, it will be an inverter and a genset, large or small to fit your needs.

Now DSL is not available in all places, but most of the main cities have it. Cable DSL is becoming more available in the largest cities.

Hope you can live with that.

As for Italianos inthe DR: We are full of them, tons and tons of them.

HB

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I've had Verizon/Codetel DSL since it started servicing the country (about 5 years on the same line). Service was a little spotty at first with a few weekly disconnects but in the past few years, I would say the DSL service is as good and dependable as back in the states. Havent had a disconnect or had to reset the modem for any reasons.

My Verizon DSL costs about 1200RD a month for 256up/384down.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To reduce to a minimum your possibility of an Internet blackout...

Purchase Verizon DSL service, get a dial up account, too, and then get a Tricom cable Internet account as a backup. Or the other way around... get an Aster (Verizon operated) cable account and a tricom Internet line, with backup dialup. You need to check where these services are available.

Purchase todo riesgo seguro equipos electronicos (one of the cheapest insurances available) for your electronic equipment. Take the insurance out in dollars.

Get an inverter to service your computer needs and move into a place that has a power generator at least eight hours a day -- minimum to charge your inverter in case we return to 20 hours of blackouts -- which has happened.

Find out what the track record of your building is securing diesel fuel for the power plant. In the recent crisis, our building always had supplies, but heard of others that had trouble and thus reduced the power plant operation hours.

So, there is much you can do to reduce the possibility of having a power-Internet blackout. These same services will come in handy if there is a hurricane, as you operate independently and will not lose power.

In the DR there are day traders operating, several that frequent this board and may contact you.

Crime is on the up, and parking lots now are gated, more people are installing systems such as MulTilock, etc. But if where you choose to live has taken precautions, your chances are much lower of being broken in. It is something that you should consider when choosing where to live. And do not think that this is the Caribbean you can live carefree. Take the same precautions you would in any big city regardless of where you choose to live.

Your work scheme sounds doable, and you should be successful living here because of the higher purchasing power of hard currency today.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
NV_ said:
I've had Verizon/Codetel DSL since it started servicing the country (about 5 years on the same line). Service was a little spotty at first with a few weekly disconnects but in the past few years, I would say the DSL service is as good and dependable as back in the states. Havent had a disconnect or had to reset the modem for any reasons.

My Verizon DSL costs about 1200RD a month for 256up/384down.

That's exactly what I needed to know.
One voice cleared in my check list ;)
Thanks all for your time and help.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Dolores said:
To reduce to a minimum your possibility of an Internet blackout...

Purchase Verizon DSL service, get a dial up account, too, and then get a Tricom cable Internet account as a backup. Or the other way around... get an Aster (Verizon operated) cable account and a tricom Internet line, with backup dialup. You need to check where these services are available.

Purchase todo riesgo seguro equipos electronicos (one of the cheapest insurances available) for your electronic equipment. Take the insurance out in dollars.

Get an inverter to service your computer needs and move into a place that has a power generator at least eight hours a day -- minimum to charge your inverter in case we return to 20 hours of blackouts -- which has happened.

Find out what the track record of your building is securing diesel fuel for the power plant. In the recent crisis, our building always had supplies, but heard of others that had trouble and thus reduced the power plant operation hours.

So, there is much you can do to reduce the possibility of having a power-Internet blackout. These same services will come in handy if there is a hurricane, as you operate independently and will not lose power.

In the DR there are day traders operating, several that frequent this board and may contact you.

Crime is on the up, and parking lots now are gated, more people are installing systems such as MulTilock, etc. But if where you choose to live has taken precautions, your chances are much lower of being broken in. It is something that you should consider when choosing where to live. And do not think that this is the Caribbean you can live carefree. Take the same precautions you would in any big city regardless of where you choose to live.

Your work scheme sounds doable, and you should be successful living here because of the higher purchasing power of hard currency today.

Dolores a big hug from Italy :classic: great plan you gave me! Thanks a mill

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Marco, I have just the guy you want to meet. He is an italian / american from south italy (I know you people think he is an inferior italian) but he is the right man to talk to. Extremely friendly, out-going and does exactly what you do, day-trading from DSL using his own money. He seem to have resolved the electric issue and has electric 24/7.
Send me a PM and I will hook you up with him. He will set you up with everything, including new wives on weekly basis.
Good luck,
AZB

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
AZB wrote: He is an italian / american from south italy (I know you people think he is an inferior italian)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ouch! Not fair :cheeky:

Perfect !
He seems exactly the right person to contact

I' ll send you a PM ASAP

Thank you very much
Marco

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Benvenuto a DR1!!

Benvenuto a DR1!!! Me piace chi molti italiani le piace la Repubblica Domenicana! Benvenuto al mio bellissimo paradisso, la Repubblica Domenicana. So, how is my italian, eh? Really, glad to see that many italians are still interested in my country, 500 years after the first italian (Cristoforo Colombo) was captured by the beauty of the island! :)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Nal0whs said:
500 years after the first italian (Cristoforo Colombo) was captured by the beauty of the island! :)

I believe that Christipher Columbus was not captured by the islands beauty as much as he was captured by an element that it contained. That element is currently trading at over $400 per oz.

Mark, welcome to DR1 and best of luck to you in the Dominican Republic.

Larry

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Maybe, but he did wanted to be buried on the island. He did wrote very wishfully about the island (in terms of beauty and the yellow stuff of course). And $400 per oz.? It was twice that a few years ago, is gold losing value??? But really, how is my italian? Parlo bene, cosi cosi, o molto male? No lo so perche fa molto tempo chi io non e parlare il italiano con una persona di questo bello paesi.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Maybe, but he did wanted to be buried on the island. He did wrote very wishfully about the island (in terms of beauty and the yellow stuff of course). And $400 per oz.? It was twice that a few years ago, is gold losing value??? But really, how is my italian? Parlo bene, cosi cosi, o molto male? No lo so perche fa molto tempo chi io non e parlare il italiano con una persona di questo bello paesi.

Yes, I remember reading that he was amazed at the islands beauty. However, the Tainos were not enslaved and worked to death for the islands' aesthetics.

Gold was never twice what it is now. It closed trading Friday at $412 USD per oz. That is just off it's 10 year high of $425 USD per oz. which was set in Janurary of this year.

Larry

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
No, I'm pretty sure Gold traded a bit higher than that back in the early '80s, maybe not $800 per oz. but it was a record $500 or somewhere there. I'll search up some evidence to back this up because I am pretty sure about this one. And yes, the Tainos were enslaved for the gold. But it can't be denied that he was enchanted by the beauty of this island. He did named it Hispaniola which is Latin for Little Spain (Hispania means Spain in Latin) and he named it like that because it reminded him of Spain with it's mountains and Royal Palms. He even discribed in his logs that the trees of Hispaniola were very different from those of Cubanaca (Cuba). He also gave the name to the Cibao as the "Vega Real" (royal plains) due it's majestic beauty that resembles something that belongs to kings and queens. But, this is about Mark and his move to the DR, not wether Columbus loved the island more than the gold, even though he did asked to be buried in the island that he loved best. What ever it really happened, the truth is that this island is among the most beautiful pieces of land anywhere, and that is a fact. Enjoy the Dominican Republic to the fullest and may Mark have a wonderful move to the DR!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Nal0whs,
You are correct on the gold price. There was a spike in the late 70's that briefly brought it up around $800 per oz. I had only accessed a 10 year chart before. You DID say "a few years ago". A quater century is a lot more than a few years.

Mark,
Sorry to hijack your thread buddy. Good luck in the DR.

Larry

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Mark1 said:
I keep reading of people suffering from robbery in their home, I've even read of thieves in your room while you'r sleeping ( that sucks big time, sorry for this guy really), do they sell alarm systems over there? (sorry I know RD is not Africa) or do I have to stick a metal plate at my door : EL GRINGO QUE VIVE AQUI TIENE LA CABEZA LOCA, UNA PISTOLA Y UNA PASSION PARA MATAR LOS LADRONES? :mad: .

Just a silly remark from Paulino who returned home from the DR (via Miami) only yesterday (and in the company of dozens of Italians on the flight from MIA to Frankfurt,): Spanish grammar as I know it says that you have to put an "A" before "LOS LADRONES". But provided the potential burglars are able to read, which I doubt anyway, I don't think the error will make much of a difference.

Mark1

Mar 17, 2004
Nal0whs said:
But really, how is my italian? Parlo bene, cosi cosi, o molto male? No lo so perche fa molto tempo chi io non e parlare il italiano con una persona di questo bello paesi.

Sei molto bravo!
I wish my Spanish could be so good (not to mention my English :lick: )