Moving to Sosua, need help with schools, etc

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
:)

Hi everybody,

After a brief vacation there, we are considering moving to Sosua this July. My Wife and 4 kids (14 yr old girl, 4yr boy, 2 yr girl and 7month girl)

Bayonne, NJ just got to cold and we were always talking about doing this anyway. The first thing we want to sort are the schools. ISS is just too much money. I have been reading many posts in this excellent, helpful board and I've found out that Cristobal Colon School (new name?), The Learning Center, Nuevos Horizontes are other options. Are these schools english only?

We are a latin family and our kids understand spanish quite a bit. (the oldest one is fluent in spanish and even reads and understands books in spanish too) so finding a good, affordable (1200 us a year more or less) school is definitely an option. Schools with classes in spanish are good too.

Can someone please tell me the phone numbers to the schools mentioned above and numbers to other good schools in the area of sosua?

We are also planning to buy a spacious 4 bedroom house with a decent size backyard, garage, DSL or cable modem is a must (I work from home, graphic designer, web designer, musician) pool if possible, near a family beach, with separate sleeping quarters for a maid, inversor or inversor ready, etc.

We are going there for a week in mid April and would like to make appointments with schools, Real State agencie(s) and visit folks that may want to meet with us.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Fernando.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you expect the 14 yr old to go to college

You had better send her to a school in Puerto Plata: San Jos? or San Pedro.

The up scale private schools in Santiago are too far away for a commute.

Otherwise send her to Cristobal Colon....but make her read a newspaper every day, read a book every month. Cristobal Colon students have done fairly well in university here, but they seem very limited in their appreciation of what is going on in the world.

The younger kids can have fun for a few years until you get a take on things....

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bienvenidos a la Republica Dominicana, una tierra tanto tuya como es mia!!

Si no es mucho problema, puede usted decir de cual pais latino usted pertenece y porque decidio mudarse a la Republica Dominicana? Solo tengo interest en saber las diferente razones y personas que deciden mudarse para mi tierra querida!

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
beside Cristobal Colon, which teaches in Spanish only (as far as I know) you should also consider Garden Kids School. My daughter goes there since many years and I'm very happy with this school. They teach in Spanish and English. Currently they teach up to 4th grade, but they adding higher grades every year, growing with their children. Cost are less than 50 US/month.
Check out their website at www.garden-kids.org or PM me for more info.

quaqualita

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
Thank you

This is a good start, thank you all for your fast response.

Nal0whs:

I'm originally from Ecuador and my wife from Santiago but we both grew up in NY/NJ. We are moving to DR because we want to take a step back in life and live in warmer climates with sun, beaches, new friends and lots of help with our little ones! (nannie)

Can someone please give me the phone number to Nuevos horizontes, Cristobal Colon and other colegios for my 14yr old daughter.

Thanks Quaqualita. Garden kids looks good for Gabriel (4yr old boy) I will make an appt. to visit it.

Scott, I will give you a call when we are ready to go.

HB, can you give me phone #'s for San Jose and San Pedro? how far are they from the area of Sosua?

Muchas Gracias!!! :)

Fernando

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
bugaloo said:
:)

Hi everybody,

After a brief vacation there, we are considering moving to Sosua this July. My Wife and 4 kids (14 yr old girl, 4yr boy, 2 yr girl and 7month girl)

Bayonne, NJ just got to cold and we were always talking about doing this anyway. The first thing we want to sort are the schools. ISS is just too much money. I have been reading many posts in this excellent, helpful board and I've found out that Cristobal Colon School (new name?), The Learning Center, Nuevos Horizontes are other options. Are these schools english only?

We are a latin family and our kids understand spanish quite a bit. (the oldest one is fluent in spanish and even reads and understands books in spanish too) so finding a good, affordable (1200 us a year more or less) school is definitely an option. Schools with classes in spanish are good too.

Can someone please tell me the phone numbers to the schools mentioned above and numbers to other good schools in the area of sosua?

We are also planning to buy a spacious 4 bedroom house with a decent size backyard, garage, DSL or cable modem is a must (I work from home, graphic designer, web designer, musician) pool if possible, near a family beach, with separate sleeping quarters for a maid, inversor or inversor ready, etc.

We are going there for a week in mid April and would like to make appointments with schools, Real State agencie(s) and visit folks that may want to meet with us.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Fernando.

Hi Fernando ..... I am a Brit. living here in Sosua for just over 2 years now. I have a 13 year old daughter and a 11 year old son. They both attend the Learning Centre School ... they did go to the ISS when we first arrived ... but I was not happy with the school. I then moved them to Colegio Nueva Vida again I was not happy and finally 3rd time lucky!! I have found the right school - The Learning Centre teaches in English and in Spanish.. the children are happy and they are learning well. So, of course I am sending them back to the Learning Centre School for another year! If you need any help, I would be happy to give you any information you require. Good Luck with your move!

bugaloo

Mar 19, 2004
Hi Chester4

What is the monthly fee at the school for 9th grade? are there a lot of "extra" expenses that the school asks for? what is their phone #? I would like to ask them some questions and make an appt with them when we go there.

Thanks again,

Fernando

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Hi.

Sent you a PM today.

I am also looking at options for our 10 yr old daughter for September.

Hope to hear from you,
Palmas.

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Iss

For anyone considering the ISS *BEWARE*

We have been here since early November last lear. Our son Jack is two and we wanted him to attend kindergarden/nursery.

Whilst the ISS was by far the most expensive - what price happiness eh !. WRONG !

I have had seceral meetings with the principle and I described it as 'very expensive childcare - and not good childcare at that'. And that sums it up really.

I stress that this is for 4yrs and under. The next class up seems great and the children are active and happy - the teachers are involved and seem much more what we had expected.

Dependant on what the other options are now - we would consider returning our son to this class when he is 4.

So, under 2's - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole !

Just one opinion - I am sure there are many who are and have been happy - but its not for us.

Anyone wishing to know the details please PM me.

Thx

Chris

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Does anyone know about the Hess (or Hesse) school. It's supposed to be good. ( looking for school for 4 year old). Also, Garden Kids web site quotes much higher rates than $50 per month. Is that not the case? - D

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
bugaloo said:
Hi Chester4

What is the monthly fee at the school for 9th grade? are there a lot of "extra" expenses that the school asks for? what is their phone #? I would like to ask them some questions and make an appt with them when we go there.

Thanks again,

Fernando

Hello Fernando

This years school fees for 9th grade is RD$33,000 per year (prices have risen - next school year approx. RD$35,000) there are three plans for payment (I chose this plan payable September, December and last payment March) there was also a registration fee of RD$3,000. To register your child for next school year the registration fee is again RD$3,000 payable in April or if paid later RD$5,000. Books are extra - for my daughter this year in 8th grade I have paid approx. US$200 - the books are from the States.

There are no other extras except maybe for any school trips etc..

You can contact Ana the Director she speaks spanish and english - Tel 571 2489 e-mail address: learningschool@hotmail.com

You can mention that I gave you the details if you like :my name is Sylvia and my Children are Jasmin (aged 13) and Jordan (aged 11) 8th and 6th grades.

If you need any further information you can e-mail me direct or call me on 571 1065.

Bye for now ..