Anyone garden?

callie

Mar 7, 2004
Hi,
I am interested in any information on gardening in the DR. I found some other threads on veggie/fruit growing but I was more interested in purely decorative gardens. Last time I was in the DR i saw some lovely canna lilies and rose bushes ect. I was wondering if anyone who had lived in the DR for a while has a garden and if they might be willing to impart some wisdom.
Is it hard to find many varities? Are some species too invasive? I am very interested in any info you may have.

Thanks,
Calandra :bunny:

Dwald

Jan 22, 2004
Hi Calandra, what kind of informations do you need?

In the average garden in Sto. Dom. you will see Bougainvillea, Lantana, Plumbago, Hibiscus, Canna indica (as you know), bromelias, climbers as Thunbergia, Allamanda, lots of palms (Prestoea montana, Dypsis lutescens, Veitchia merrillii, Roystonea hispaniolana...), orchideas, croton, Philodendron, Monstera, Alpinia, Anthurium, Spathiphyllum....
Based on the garden centers I know, it is really hard to find varieties, and this is also the opinion of the garden designers I asked.

It was told me that the most beautiful tropical gardens (privat gardens) are in Santiago, thus I didn't have the possibility to see them. There are guided trips but I don't know who organize them.

As the invasive species, it is a worldwide problem. Here are problems per es. with the Syzygium jambos and the Calliandra calothyrsus.

Saludos

callie

Mar 7, 2004
Thanks

Dwald said:
Hi Calandra, what kind of informations do you need?

In the average garden in Sto. Dom. you will see Bougainvillea, Lantana, Plumbago, Hibiscus, Canna indica (as you know), bromelias, climbers as Thunbergia, Allamanda, lots of palms (Prestoea montana, Dypsis lutescens, Veitchia merrillii, Roystonea hispaniolana...), orchideas, croton, Philodendron, Monstera, Alpinia, Anthurium, Spathiphyllum....
Based on the garden centers I know, it is really hard to find varieties, and this is also the opinion of the garden designers I asked.

It was told me that the most beautiful tropical gardens (privat gardens) are in Santiago, thus I didn't have the possibility to see them. There are guided trips but I don't know who organize them.

As the invasive species, it is a worldwide problem. Here are problems per es. with the Syzygium jambos and the Calliandra calothyrsus.

Saludos

Thanks Dwald!

I wasn't sure anyone would respond. Thanks for the tip about Santiago! I will definatley keep that in mind.

I am a recent garden fanatic. I just love learning anything I can about growing in different countries so I appreciate your resonse. :classic:

It's kind of funny that my name and the name of a annoying plant are so simular. (Calandra- Calliandra) HaHa

Too bad there is not more intrest in this thread. Oh well, I won't bring it up again.

Calandra :bunny:

Dwald

Jan 22, 2004
I'am so glad there is somebody interested about gardens here!

Calliandra is funny (it's called also powderpuff tree), C. calothyrsus is invasive but for ex. C. tweedii is a popular garden plant.

If you are a recent "fanatic", maybe you can check this website: www.sapling.org.uk

D.

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Sorry, I don't have any input, just wanted to keep it going. I love the flowers in DR. I was actually surprised to see how many we have in common here in TX. In the Sosua area there are road side plant stores with many different flowers. It's odd how many people don't know the names of the plants growing in their yards or restaurants.