Lazy Reporters

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
This is why I and many others are loosing respect for the media. Don't they have fact checkers anymore?
This was posted on DR1. El Caribe is suppose to be one of the better papers in the DR.

"20,000 semi-automatic rifles for what?
The US embassy confirmed the existence of an agreement for the sale or donation of 20,000 semi-automatic M16 rifles to the Dominican Armed Forces, according to El Caribe newspaper.

?The United States agreed to transfer 20,000 M-16 A1 rifles to the Dominican Armed Forces to assist in its campaign to modernize and professionalize the force.? "

The M-16 A1 is not a "Semi-Automatic Rifle. It is a Select Fire rifle. That means it can be fired Semi-Automatic, then with a flip of a switch, Fully Automatic.

These rifles are no-longer the front line rifle of the US Arm forces and are probably just old surplus stocks. Why 20,000? Simple. Because these are older weapons a large percentage of them will be dis-assembled and use for spare parts. Another amount will be in storage as replacements.

BTW Senator Dodd is just looking for publicity. Despite what some of the loonys say the Haitian Freedom Fighter(Yes I said it) where using ex-Haitian Military weapons. The Few M-16 class weapons used during the uprising(I know of 3) Where Store bought in the US. So far there has not been one piece of concrete evidence linking the Uprising and the Military of the Dominican Republic!

Tony C.
REX MUNDI!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Tony;

The whole thing was reported by CNN last week. They have dropped the case. The case was explained by the Ambassador to the DR in order to defuse the issue. The perpertrator is left with a red face since he was trying to rais a non-issue in the US political race.

This is "off thread" and you have my permision to delete, Robert. I won't "pounce upon you like a monsterous frog" for doing so.

Texas Bill