Tricks for getting good deals at AI hotels

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey guys,

I sometimes like to stay in an All Inclusive hotel - they are such a nice rest with nothing to think about! But they can be a bit expensive at times - they start at $50+ per person/night.

I'm looking for tips to getting good deals. Yeah, I know we're in high season, etc. But how can you get a good price anyway?

Here's one:

- tell them you're LOCAL and you pay in pesos not dollars. Show your cedula (if you have one), or some other kind of local ID. That cuts the price in half.

Any others?

Adrian

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Make a fake business card which shows that you own a hotel in miami. This way you will get atleast 40% off.
You can also make a fake airline ID card or a travel agency ID card and get yourself huge discounts.
This is all illegal in USA, but its only Illegal here if you get caught. Then again, you think they would really check on you? Your choice.
AZB

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
adrianb said:
Hey guys,

I sometimes like to stay in an All Inclusive hotel - they are such a nice rest with nothing to think about! But they can be a bit expensive at times - they start at $50+ per person/night.
Adrian

And you find $50 a night expensive?
This is a perfect example of why I laugh when people say that Tourism will save the DR!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
$100 a night for a couple

Tony C said:
And you find $50 a night expensive?
This is a perfect example of why I laugh when people say that Tourism will save the DR!

Per person, though, $100 US a night for a couple is a lot for the DR, admittedly not for the USA (or here for that matter, room only).

But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks for the thread hijack, Tony C. Your arrogance is boring and predictable.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting good deals at AIs?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ricktoronto said:
Per person, though, $100 US a night for a couple is a lot for the DR, admittedly not for the USA (or here for that matter, room only).
QUOTE]

Rick,
That is my point. For tourism to thrive and boost the DR economy it cannot look inward towards "in Country" tourism. It has to go out and bring in tourists from outside. Tourists with money and lots of it. Cheap AI's are not the way to go.

Adrian,
Perhaps you would be better served by not spending precious time looking for ways to scam the AI's but trying to make money so you can afford some vacation time.
Funny part is that I rarely pay for Hotel lodging. I usually get it comped in trade for promotional consideration.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It seems that the best way to get the deal at the AI is to get it up front from the travel agency. All Inclusive doesn't leave much left to negotiate, in my opinion.
mk

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Rick, you mention:

"But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid."

Do you just mean one of the crappy hotels around?

The thing I like about the AI is that its enclosed and nothing to think about. Meals are served, there's no questions about tips, etc. Are there hotels which have a good restaurant included and pool facilities like an AI?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Have a Dominican make the reservation and confirm the rate.
Show your cedula to get the cheaper rate your friend booked you at.
Scan the local newspapers for deals.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Yes and No

adrianb said:
Rick, you mention:

"But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid."

Do you just mean one of the crappy hotels around?

The thing I like about the AI is that its enclosed and nothing to think about. Meals are served, there's no questions about tips, etc. Are there hotels which have a good restaurant included and pool facilities like an AI?

Where I stay isn't crappy and beats the room I had at Hamaca (which was very institutional and quite small and drab, in 1998) , and is $42US with tax. Leaving $58 (+ tax on that $100 of $12) , so $70 a day is RD$3500 for food and bar drinks for 2 , impossible to consume, unless you are a pi**tank or are 400 lbs.

And yes, you go to the beach and pay for a lounge chair a few bucks and RD$40-50 for a Cuba Libre, but you have enough dough plus you don't have institutional buffet food nor do you don't have 900 of your neighbours alongside you in every direction.

Where I stay has a good pool and deck and they cater food out there and the restaurant is decent enough, but $100 a day, no way.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Fly from Canada

I'm amazed at the deals I'm seeing here in Canada. $799 all inclusive, including airfare to Puerto Plata--now in high season, but last minute. There are lots of cheap flights from the U.S. to Canada, so you might fly in and out of here and still save money. BTW, Toronto is a GREAT place to visit, so stay here too.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
We've always used our Dominican friends to make the reservations for us, we prepay everything, and then usually they always know someone who works for the management and usually bump us up a room if it's available or give us very private and quiet areas...

It pays to know people... hee hee hee

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions so far, they're interesting!

Rick: whats the hotel you stay at?

Clearly the difference is whether you're by yourself, or with someone. US$100/night for two does not make sense, however for one person $50/night all included is a decent deal.

Since I'll be by myself, I'll go to an AI this weekend; anyone have any recommendations?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Where are you going?

adrianb said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, they're interesting!

Rick: whats the hotel you stay at?

Clearly the difference is whether you're by yourself, or with someone. US$100/night for two does not make sense, however for one person $50/night all included is a decent deal.

Since I'll be by myself, I'll go to an AI this weekend; anyone have any recommendations?

I think as to AI's (Hamaca, e.g.) you probably can't get the deal there solo for US$50 , they use the ever-present double occupancy rules, e.g. $100 for 2 and $100 for one. It's slow now so maybe they'd live with one person.

If it was $50 for one night, AI, I might even stay in there the ocasional day per trip but they want almost that for a day pass (all day at the resort with meals and drinks until I think midnight) so I really doubt $50 for one would fly with a room , too. But hey it's free to call them and ask.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When I say "get to know the real dominicans" no one listens. Most foreigners look down upon dominicans because they socialize with the dominican trash and thus think all dominicans are the same. I have friends in hotel businesses ex: I have this one dominican friend who was a manager at AI resort in puerto plata and then moved on to bayahibe (5 star resort). I would go there whenever and with whomever. I never paid a penny and always had a VIP band around my wrist. Now he has moved to Bavaro area and partly manages a 5 plus star resort. They have given him a fully furnished 2 bedroom apartment in the resort area, full air conditioned and with a private swimming pool. Now I can vist him when ever, either stay in hotel or at his apartment and never even think about taking my wallet along. He is my friend since 1986 when he was nobody. I used to take care him at the time and bring him clothes and sneakers. Now he brings me gifts from italy and europe and never accepts my money for staying at his hotel.
See, it pays to socialize with real dominicans. Too bad some of you folks just don't even know where to even look for a real decent respectable dominican.
There are also some real good down to earth foreigners who work in hotels who can get you great deals. I know just the lady who treats me like her family. She is a wonderful person who is not like your average ex pat living in sosua or puerto plata. She manages her hotel business right and only socializes with the right people. I wish I could repay her in some way but she never gives me the opportunity. If you know people like her, you can get hotels at a very good deal.
The point is, get out of your normal daily routines and break open that gringo / tourist mold that seperates you from the real people. Get involved with the folks who are connected and see how many breaks you will get in this country.
Have a nice day.
AZB

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
5 star?

Sorry AZB
The only Hotel/Resort in the DR that even approaches 5 star is Casa de Campo and that is iffy at best.
Most Ritz Carlton's aren't even 5 star!
The Hotels you mentioned are solid 3 stars
No AI on this planet is 5 star.

tourjoy

Mar 13, 2004
North Shore on <$100 per day for two?

But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid

On the North Shore not in an AI, can you suggest the best 2-3 hotels and best 2-3 restuarants where a couple can enjoy full meals, some refreshments and their room for under $100 for both? I do not doubt you, I ask only for the purpose of using these recommendations on my next visit. Thanks

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
No, Actually I Can't

tourjoy said:
On the North Shore not in an AI, can you suggest the best 2-3 hotels and best 2-3 restuarants where a couple can enjoy full meals, some refreshments and their room for under $100 for both? I do not doubt you, I ask only for the purpose of using these recommendations on my next visit. Thanks

North Shore: Never been, never go, never want to go. From friends who have gone, I know there are good $40 US a night /room places in POP and Costambar, etc. and as such there leaves $60 a day for food and drink which is more than enough for real food from real restaurants. In Costambar you can even get a nice room in a "adult" type environment for US$35-50 so, woo-hoo! That's Blackbeards. Quite nice rooms even if you are not seeking ladies to join you.

I think with some minimal effort you can find a few hotels in PP - there is a hotel database here at DR1, and there is also Debbie's Dominican Travel and of course google.

Enjoy the transition from a "vacation' to "tourism".

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Gabriela said:
I'm amazed at the deals I'm seeing here in Canada. $799 all inclusive, including airfare to Puerto Plata--now in high season, but last minute. There are lots of cheap flights from the U.S. to Canada, so you might fly in and out of here and still save money. BTW, Toronto is a GREAT place to visit, so stay here too.
Adrian is a Aussie living in Santiago. For him to go to Toronto and come back to the RD is probably out of the question for him.

Adrian is not going to be the guy to save the RD travel industry on his own expecially living in the country.

Go figger...

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
tourjoy said:

Tourjoy

I have stayed at a lovely hotel in Sosua called Piergiorgio Palace. Back in October they charged me US$65 per room including breakfast. The price varies by season. This is not an AI hotel, although they do have a fancy restaurant - and you can definitely eat for less elsewhere. Check them out at: www.piergiorgiohotel.com.