Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tricks for getting good deals at AI hotels

Hey guys,

I sometimes like to stay in an All Inclusive hotel - they are such a nice rest with nothing to think about! But they can be a bit expensive at times - they start at $50+ per person/night.

I'm looking for tips to getting good deals. Yeah, I know we're in high season, etc. But how can you get a good price anyway?

Here's one:

- tell them you're LOCAL and you pay in pesos not dollars. Show your cedula (if you have one), or some other kind of local ID. That cuts the price in half.

Any others?

Adrian

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a fake business card which shows that you own a hotel in miami. This way you will get atleast 40% off.
    You can also make a fake airline ID card or a travel agency ID card and get yourself huge discounts.
    This is all illegal in USA, but its only Illegal here if you get caught. Then again, you think they would really check on you? Your choice.
    AZB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb
    Hey guys,

I sometimes like to stay in an All Inclusive hotel - they are such a nice rest with nothing to think about! But they can be a bit expensive at times - they start at $50+ per person/night.
    Adrian
    And you find $50 a night expensive?
    This is a perfect example of why I laugh when people say that Tourism will save the DR!

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb $100 a night for a couple

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C
    And you find $50 a night expensive?
    This is a perfect example of why I laugh when people say that Tourism will save the DR!
    Per person, though, $100 US a night for a couple is a lot for the DR, admittedly not for the USA (or here for that matter, room only).

But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thread hijack, Tony C. Your arrogance is boring and predictable.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting good deals at AIs?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ricktoronto]Per person, though, $100 US a night for a couple is a lot for the DR, admittedly not for the USA (or here for that matter, room only).
    QUOTE]

Rick,
    That is my point. For tourism to thrive and boost the DR economy it cannot look inward towards "in Country" tourism. It has to go out and bring in tourists from outside. Tourists with money and lots of it. Cheap AI's are not the way to go.

Adrian,
    Perhaps you would be better served by not spending precious time looking for ways to scam the AI's but trying to make money so you can afford some vacation time.
    Funny part is that I rarely pay for Hotel lodging. I usually get it comped in trade for promotional consideration.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that the best way to get the deal at the AI is to get it up front from the travel agency. All Inclusive doesn't leave much left to negotiate, in my opinion.
    mk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Rick, you mention:

"But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid."

Do you just mean one of the crappy hotels around?

The thing I like about the AI is that its enclosed and nothing to think about. Meals are served, there's no questions about tips, etc. Are there hotels which have a good restaurant included and pool facilities like an AI?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a Dominican make the reservation and confirm the rate.
    Show your cedula to get the cheaper rate your friend booked you at.
    Scan the local newspapers for deals.

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Yes and No

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb
    Rick, you mention:

"But you can get a good room and food and drink all day for less than $100 US a couple if you can live without the "animation" staff, which I'd pay extra to avoid."

Do you just mean one of the crappy hotels around?

The thing I like about the AI is that its enclosed and nothing to think about. Meals are served, there's no questions about tips, etc. Are there hotels which have a good restaurant included and pool facilities like an AI?
    Where I stay isn't crappy and beats the room I had at Hamaca (which was very institutional and quite small and drab, in 1998) , and is $42US with tax. Leaving $58 (+ tax on that $100 of $12) , so $70 a day is RD$3500 for food and bar drinks for 2 , impossible to consume, unless you are a pi**tank or are 400 lbs.

And yes, you go to the beach and pay for a lounge chair a few bucks and RD$40-50 for a Cuba Libre, but you have enough dough plus you don't have institutional buffet food nor do you don't have 900 of your neighbours alongside you in every direction.

Where I stay has a good pool and deck and they cater food out there and the restaurant is decent enough, but $100 a day, no way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast