Hi, my name is Shariff Al. and I just moved to Sosua

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
Hi, my name is Shariff Al. I would like to introduce myself to the to the DR1 members. I am new to the island here. I am now living in Sosua, and now a member of this web-site. I have been on the island for three months now. My first two months I was down in Juan Dolio on the south end of the island. I had a very nice apartment there, and it just cost me $250.00 a month, and I was just one block from the beach. I said to myself that this was the best deal in the Caribbean. I was so happy until I found out that everyone else in my building was just paying $100.00 a month. Then I really knew I have found the right island. Anyway there was no one that I could relate to in Juan Dolio. I am a singer, and I play the keyboard. I was playing in restaurants there. However, I was still unhappy. There was no one for me to talk to and the English speaking station on cable would go out every other day for a few days at a time. Then someone told me about Sosua. I was told that this is the place I should be. They said that all of the tourism was up in Sosua. I am now living here in Sosua, and I am telling people back home that it do not get any nicer then this. I am staying at one Ocean place right now, but I am looking at an apartment on the hill over looking the beach that just cost 3,500 pesos. What more can I say. Most of the people speak English, and there are 76 stations on cable. I must look at beautiful girls all of the time, but I will do my best to handle that. I am an artist that paints oil paintings. I have been looking for an island where I could sit back be happy and work on my next collection of paintings. This is it and I plan to be here for the next 3-5 years and more if God bless me to be. I also sing soul, R&B, and oldies music. I am now singing at the Sun & the Moon restaurant at the comer of Dr. Alejo Martinez and Proyecto Street 5 nights a week. I was introduced to this web-site and I think that this is great. A web-site where people can relate and talk to each other here in the Dominican Republic. An English speaking web-site. I am not alone. What more can a person ask. My first question to the members is this. Is it my imagination or do the power go out here 3 to 5 times a day, or is it just that my apartment management just want to turn the power off now and then to make sure no one left there TV on. However, no problem I can handle that too just to be here in Sosua the best place on Earth.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Congrats and welcome. Have you made it to the Brittania Pub yet? The owners are wonderful Canadians. They sometimes have live music...maybe they can set you up.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I must look at beautiful girls all of the time, but I will do my best to handle that" Shariff

Anyway shariff, welcome to DR1 and most of all, to this beautiful island. Maybe you can take some digital photos of your painting art and post it here for the members to see. perhaps you might get some customers.
Have fun in the north coast and stay away from the UBH's.
AZB

Last edited by a moderator:

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sosua

welcome shariff from another sosua fan!

AZB, just have a little patience, the word hasn't spread enuf amogst the chicas, beach bums and cigar lovers, that sosua is again on it's way to old glory.

you are right only, because what you see now, are just the hardcore survivors of recent police brutality and human rights abuses.

but things are looking better.

x.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board

And I hope you have fun in Sosua.

I, too, sing, rap, hip hop, blues and country....but my cows stopped giving milk and the pigs won't eat....chickens won't lay a d@mn thing....

Welcome and enjoy..

HB :) :)

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly, can you post some of your rap lyrics for us?

Al, you sound like you will fit right in there in Sosua. You have the right attitude after finding out you were paying $150/mth more than everyone else and find that enlightening. Some are a bit savy, so keep your antennas up. If you learn some Spanish, AZB could probably introduce you to the Santiago chicas. It may be of some inspiration.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
HB Raps?

Hillbilly said:
I, too, sing, rap, hip hop, blues and country....but my cows stopped giving milk and the pigs won't eat....chickens won't lay a d@mn thing....Welcome and enjoy..
Now we all now how you get your wife to end those all night card games at the Hillbilly Hovel - you break into your Eminim routine! LOL.

Shariff Al, welcome to the north coast. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Stop out and visit me and Alba at Xanadu anytime.

Tom aka XR He who hesitates is probably a faster thinker than you.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Shariff - Welcome to the North Coast.

have you ever done a mural? I'm interested in finding an artist that can paint a simple mural with no background color. Couple of people have emailed me, but always interested in others' talents. Our villa is outside Sosua. We will be there in May.

And it would be nice if you could post some of your paintings in DR1's media gallery.

LA Woman

Jan 7, 2004
power outages

You are correct in assuming that the power goes out four or five times a day. That is not uncommon in this country. Many times the power will be off for as much as 20 hours a day.

I strongly suggest you buy an inversor this is a machine that will run your power using batteries. I have a Trace inversor with twelve batteries that will run my entire apartment for two days if there is no power.

There is a good company in Puerto Plata that has excellent service is called "Inversores Del Atlantico". Their telephone number is 586-6229 you can also contact the owner who speaks English at 917-6090. I think you would be very pleased with their service and pricing.

I'm very glad you are finding this a good experience. The people here are very nice and you can't beat the cost-of-living.

Best wishes,
LA Woman
:rolleyes:

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
The brittania pub

trina said:
Congrats and welcome. Have you made it to the Brittania Pub yet? The owners are wonderful Canadians. They sometimes have live music...maybe they can set you up.

Thank you for your reply and your regress about checking with the Brittania pub. However, pubs usually do not like my music. They usually like loud and banging music. My style is mellow and soft. I like restaurants and restaurant like me. Their customers can enjoy their dinner while they enjoy some nice singing, and music that they know from the past. For example yesterday, you?ve lost that loving feeling, stand by me, my way, three times a lady. I like doing love songs, and oldies. Thank you again.

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
AZB said:
"I must look at beautiful girls all of the time, but I will do my best to handle that" Shariff

Anyway shariff, welcome to DR1 and most of all, to this beautiful island. Maybe you can take some digital photos of your painting art and post it here for the members to see. perhaps you might get some customers.
Have fun in the north coast and stay away from the UBH's.
AZB

Thank you. It is really nice to get a welcome to the area. I will be looking forward to posting photos of my work on this web-site once I receive my supplies from Miami.. My supplies should be here in the coming month, and I am having fun everyday here on the north coast

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
Mural painting

JanH said:
Shariff - Welcome to the North Coast.

have you ever done a mural? I'm interested in finding an artist that can paint a simple mural with no background color. Couple of people have emailed me, but always interested in others' talents. Our villa is outside Sosua. We will be there in May.

And it would be nice if you could post some of your paintings in DR1's media gallery.

Thank you. I have done murals before. Now that I am in the Caribbean I plan to paint beautiful paintings of the islands, however, I like people in my paintings. When I look at the post cards of the Dominican Republic you would thank that there are no people here on this island. If I took the name Dominican republic off of the post cards it could be anywhere in the Caribbean. To me culture is the people. I am looking forward to painting this island but with its people. However, when I am doing a paid commission I can paint what you want.

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
The power problem

LA Woman said:
You are correct in assuming that the power goes out four or five times a day. That is not uncommon in this country. Many times the power will be off for as much as 20 hours a day.

I strongly suggest you buy an inversor this is a machine that will run your power using batteries. I have a Trace inversor with twelve batteries that will run my entire apartment for two days if there is no power.

There is a good company in Puerto Plata that has excellent service is called "Inversores Del Atlantico". Their telephone number is 586-6229 you can also contact the owner who speaks English at 917-6090. I think you would be very pleased with their service and pricing.

I'm very glad you are finding this a good experience. The people here are very nice and you can't beat the cost-of-living.

Best wishes,
LA Woman
:rolleyes:

I was so surprise about how many times the power goes out in Sosua, because in the two months that I lived in Juan Dolio the power didn?t go out not once. My cable went out every other day, but the power was good.

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
Hey Shariff, I am expecting to meet you and Scott when I get there next week. I've only been to Sosua for a day, so this time round my gf and I are going to be at the Sosua Bay Hotel. But I can't wait for the nite life. We'll have to get together as by the sounds of it, you sing the songs we like. And, it would be nice to sing along, and drink of course. Have you met Scott yet and the others? how about we plan on all of us meeting on Tuesday nite next week? what bar? someone helpme out as I dont know where they are right now. cheri

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Welcome to DR1

I second the suggestion of a visit to the Britannia Pub. If you visit, you will find that they do not have blaring music there and the owners are very nice. I was supposed to me Johnny Honda there one night, but he didn't arrive. The owners were great to me and made me feel right at home. I am sure they can give you a lot of good pointers about life in Sousa.

Again, welcome,

Tondra

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
kunky said:
Hey Shariff, I am expecting to meet you and Scott when I get there next week. I've only been to Sosua for a day, so this time round my gf and I are going to be at the Sosua Bay Hotel. But I can't wait for the nite life. We'll have to get together as by the sounds of it, you sing the songs we like. And, it would be nice to sing along, and drink of course. Have you met Scott yet and the others? how about we plan on all of us meeting on Tuesday nite next week? what bar? someone helpme out as I dont know where they are right now. cheri
Call me 223-1178 and we will go to the bar he is performing in. Went there with Dawnwil one evening and it was pleasant.

Scott

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
kunky said:

Hi, this is Shariff, and welcome back to Sosua. No I have not had the opportunity to meet Scott and the others as of yet. However, I will be looking forward to meeting them, and also you and your friends. Tuesday night I will be at the Sun and Moon Bar and restaurant in Sosua at the corner of Dr. Alejo Martinez and Proyecto Street. I am there 5 nights a week from 8 to 11 pm. Usually Tuesday thru Sunday with Friday off. It would be very nice to have someone sing along. I have karaoke set up where you can also read the words from a TV.

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
tondra said:
I second the suggestion of a visit to the Britannia Pub. If you visit, you will find that they do not have blaring music there and the owners are very nice. I was supposed to me Johnny Honda there one night, but he didn't arrive. The owners were great to me and made me feel right at home. I am sure they can give you a lot of good pointers about life in Sousa.

Again, welcome,

Tondra

Thank you very much for your second suggestion on going to the Britannia pub. It sounds like a very nice place, and I am now looking forward to going there. If you could give me the location I will make a point on going there, enjoying the place and meeting what sounds like some beautiful people.

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Welcome to DR1 Shariff Al.!

I am pretty new here myself, but welcome, anyway. Where are you from? You're so polite! How did you find apartments in Sosua for such low rent? Did you look in newspapers or web listings, or just enquire when you arrived? I was in Sosua in February, and I loved it. It is beautiful, isn't it? I can't wait to go back. I really liked Morua Mai as a nice restaurant...they could use some music, though! I will probably make it back to Sosua sometime in late September or October, and we can definitely catch up for a drink and a song. :)

Shariff Al.

Mar 11, 2004
Red_Girl said:
I am pretty new here myself, but welcome, anyway. Where are you from? You're so polite! How did you find apartments in Sosua for such low rent? Did you look in newspapers or web listings, or just enquire when you arrived? I was in Sosua in February, and I loved it. It is beautiful, isn't it? I can't wait to go back. I really liked Morua Mai as a nice restaurant...they could use some music, though! I will probably make it back to Sosua sometime in late September or October, and we can definitely catch up for a drink and a song. :)

Thank you Red Girl for your reply. I am from the United States. I have live up and down the east coast, mostly in the south. I like Florida. The owner of the restaurant where I work have an apartment in that building, and he told me about it. Sosua is a very beautiful place, and the people are nice. I have been to places where the people are not nice. It makes a different. Most people consider home to be where they were born. I believe home is the place that you are looking for, and when you find it you know it.