Bahia de Arena

treetownal

Mar 18, 2004
The wife and I are travelling to Cabarete in a few days and staying in a villa in the Bahia de Arena community. We visisted the DR last year and stayed at Breezes but we decided AI was not for us.

Can anyone tell me more about the Bahia de Arena area and development, such as distance to Cabarete's main strip, the quality of the beach, nightlife nearby, best restaurants nearby and anything that should not be missed? We're in our late 20's if that is helpful.

Thanks in advance!

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Treetownal,

We stayed in a villa at Olas de Oro which is quite near the Bahia de Arena for two weeks in December. I walked past your place several times and it looks very nice indeed. Pretty much just like their pictures on their website.

The walk along the beach to the main part of Cabarete is about 10-15 minutes LEISURELY STROLL. One thing I would suggest is if you are walking back at night to definitely bring a small flashlight. It can get quite dark and there are sandcastles and holes and logs to look out for.

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of beach erosion at that end, so we mostly walked into Cabarete and rented loungers there for the day for sunbathing and swimming. As I recall, the Bahia de Arena have beach chairs set up on a little "bluff" and this could be just as nice if you don't feel like walking into Cabarete itself.

There are several grocery/convenience stores in the area. A small one is located just across the street from the Olas de Oro/hotel Caracol (a little to the east of where you are). It is called Rosa's and they do deliver heavier stuff like water and (of course), Presidente. There is another on the beach side of the street just as you get more into the main strip of Cabarete. I can't remember the name of this one, but they had more variety (eggs, meats, etc). Right in Cabarete, very near the Scotia Bank is another very good one with even more selection (fresh bread, sliced meats, cheeses, booze, etc. etc.)

One restaurant that I highly recommend is the Tropicoco. It is on the street in the same complex as the Olas de Oro/hotel Caracol. We ate there several times and the food is fantastic. I highly recommend the shrimp in cream sauce and for the non-fish eaters, the chicken cordon bleu. None of us had a less than fantastic meal there.

Rose

Miko

May 23, 2003
walking at night

contrary to what RMary said, I do not suggest you walk the beach at night. It will cost you only $3US for the taxi ride from town and alot safer, even more in this period of Semana Santa.
We own next door at the Nanny Estate and we doubled our security.
Keep in mind, this is third world country and the locals are financially suffering with this president.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
I of course bow to Miko's advice and greater experience. We only walked back a couple of times at night, and it was usually with the four of us. We never had a problem but I could see where something certainly could happen. I would not have dreamed of doing it alone.

One good rule of thumb is to listen to the advice of locals. They know a lot more about the local situation than I do.

Rose