Residency Application and Cost

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Hi to all.

Having now done the mandatory searches and enquiries with lawyers etc it seems there is something many people seem to miss out when quoting the $1,000 - $1,500 cost for residency. Namely, that the initial fee is in many cases just for the 12 month Temporary residency.

Many lawyers charge the same again to handle the 'Permanent' application 12 months later.

Anyone embarking on this route should get it clear from the start what it is they will be getting for their money - everyone I seemed to speak to seemed reluctant to go into too much detail beyond the initial Temp residency application.

For anyone considering such a move I found a Lawyer in SDO - perfect English, Office on the North Coast (Sosua) and will deal with the lot from start to finish for $1,200. Anyone needing contact details please PM me.

Hope this helps.

Chris

L. H.

Nov 23, 2003
Hi

I just got my cedula and provisional residency for less than.... 10,000 PESOS!!!
If you want details, send me a PM.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
L. H. said:
Hi

I just got my cedula and provisional residency for less than.... 10,000 PESOS!!!
If you want details, send me a PM.

Why don't you post the details on the board?
That way we can check out to see if it's legit.

That's US$200, I do not know of any lawyer that will do it for that or has done it for that. The medical alone is RD$1,800.

L. H.

Nov 23, 2003
I just did it by myself, without any lawyer. It's a lot cheaper, but of course a bit more complicated (but not impossible!).

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Thanks LH.

The main purpose of the post was to warn others about the 'second hit'.

I had asked around many of the regular names that get mentioned on the board and it seems all charge the same 1-1,500 us$ for each process.

If someone is looking for a lawer to handle the application then caution should be used as none wanted to mention the second bite of the cherry.

The guy that I used was recomended to me by a chap called Richard Hunt. That introduction has so far saved me nearly three grand.

Not such a bad guy after all eh?

Well done for handling it yourself LH.

regards

Chris

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
L. H. said:
I just did it by myself, without any lawyer. It's a lot cheaper, but of course a bit more complicated (but not impossible!).

Of course it's cheaper, but I have yet to find one person that enjoyed the experience. If you have a ton of time, maybe it's worth it. But most of the people asking on this board don't, so the best option is to get help and use a lawyer.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most people

Robert said:
Of course it's cheaper, but I have yet to find one person that enjoyed the experience. If you have a ton of time, maybe it's worth it. But most of the people asking on this board don't, so the best option is to get help and use a lawyer.
....also don't have fluent Spanish at the stage of their initial application, so a bi-lingual lawyer is really useful.
BTW isn't it good to have the record made straight on the much maligned Mr. Hunt (maligned in a different thread a while back)

L. H.

Nov 23, 2003
I understand a lot of people don't want to bother with that, but I also know that a lot don't even know they don't need a lawyer to get the residency.

I'm sure a lot of people cannot afford 1,200$. Things have changed, and now each person has the opportunity to do it for less money, like me.

So this is just to let people know that there is a cheaper way, and it's possible to do it even if you don't have much time.
I work full time in Sosua. I had to make the trips to Santo Domingo. But if you're well organized, you can do everything in 3 trips!

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Yawn.

This has all been discussed thoroughly before. Probably the reason that the second part of the process receives less attention is that those who do stay long enough to need it are sometimes able to find ways to cut the costs sometimes even having learned their way around enough to do it themselves. On the other hand, those who do not feel proficient enough or have enough time/saintly patience to do it are more than happy to pay the fee! Your points are basically all good and well, but it has all been discussed at great length and in great detail and very accurately already.