Importing Liquor

christremain

Aug 15, 2003
Never done it - wouldn't know where to start. But.....

Does anyone know the import duty on bottled PPS (Premium Packaged Spirits) ie - Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezer etc?

Also, does anyone know the hoops you would have to go through to imprort such products into the DR?

Obliged for any advice.

Chris

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
christremain said:

Does anyone know the import duty on bottled PPS (Premium Packaged Spirits) ie - Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezer etc?

Also, does anyone know the hoops you would have to go through to imprort such products into the DR?

Obliged for any advice.

Chris

Unless the brand of liquor you want to import it's already being imported by another person or company then the procedure to obtain an import license is not out of this world yet it's something not for the faint of heart, DR has an stringent set of laws and parameters to facilitate the importing of spirits into the country, the first step you need to take it's to sign an exclusivity contract with the producer of the liquor in question unless you want to start the biz for someone else and sit by the sidelines later on as they take over your biz just like that, second you need to stablish an import/export company or like to be able to obtain an importer license and get a heck of a good lawyer while at it to navigate the maze they'll have you go about to find the end of the deal, I have a friend whom recently(Some 6 or 8 months) signed a lucrative exclusive deal with Georgi Vodka to import it to the DR, he doesn't have the actual infrastructure need it to support the logistics and handling of say a big order, instead he has chosen to make small deals here and there before he embarks in the actual import part of the biz, yet I find this approach too mild to reach any profitability in the near future, you have to be bold and daring and push your goods yourself, don't count on others to do it for you, the actual process of obtaining a liquor import license in the DR isn't that hard to achieve but it has it's pitfalls like many other things in the "Dominican Burocracy", get yourself a good business lawyer with a solid footing in the DR import/Export venue and you will be doing biz as soon as you can get a shipping container on the docks, plan with a good strategy and a backup on the side to spring into action should the menace of stale-mate surprise you while dealing with the DR customs, but be aware that your best bet it's to make a deal with a local spirits destiller and have them distribute your product within their market and share your revenues with them, it's far easier than trying to take on powerful unseen rivals in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's Already Here

christremain said:

Chris

The horrible tasting, malt-beverage based Smirnoff Ice is for sale in the DR now so it appears there is an importer. It tastes like bad cough syrup.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
christremain said:
It also varies by the Aduana Inspector looking at the shipment. About 5months ago a 'Champagne Boat' carrying my Andre champagne was sent back by the importer (Supermercado Nacional) because the Inspector demanded about 1-1/2x the then current retail price of a bottle in taxes alone. Ay carumba! I have bought it in every country of the world I have ever lived in or visited from Zimbabwe to Kuala Lumpur to Singapore over 20 years. But, never seen another bottle of it since (although it's back as a spinoff brand, Wycliff) here in the Republica Dominicana.

"Candy is Dandy,
But Liquor is Quicker"

- Ogden Nash

Tom aka XR I make wine out of raisins. I didn't have to wait for it to age.

Last edited:

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
FYI RickTO - no malt (beer) products in Smirnoff Ice - no Vodka either

agua
azucar
CO2
flavouring
grain alcohol

but would have to agree with you in that its horrible stuff for my taste buds.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And importing it

bigD said:
FYI RickTO - no malt (beer) products in Smirnoff Ice - no Vodka either

agua
azucar
CO2
flavouring
grain alcohol

but would have to agree with you in that its horrible stuff for my taste buds.

Not exactly too easy for the OP to start importing this stuff since it's already in the country. Good for paint stripping though.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Taxes in spirits are usually very high. I remember that last year, we got the distribution rights of Ron Varadero, and imported one container for the Duty Free shops and at the end, we introduced 50 boxes to the local market. We ended up paying 100 and something pesos of taxes per bottle.