How's life in Sosua?

lovehealth

Mar 21, 2004
Hello....I am thinking about a move to Sosua and this website has been WONDERFUL for learning about the GOOD and the....well....not so good.

I was hoping that someone who likes to type might help with a few questions...

What is the "day to day" reality like for life in Sousa? Can you describe what kinds of things a "week in the life" in Sosua might bring?

What would you expect to pay for a "luxury" two bedroom penthouse condo in Sosua?

What would you expect to pay for monthly expenses? (not including rent or mortgage)

If you have a DSL internet connection (not satellite or dial-up), how reliable is the connection? How often are there outages? Do the outages occur most frequently at certain times? How long do the outages last?

If you could "redo" your move to Sosua....what things would you have done differently?

What are the most common mistakes that people make when they are in the process of moving to Sosua?

For the long term....would you choose beachfront or "mountain" view condo?

I'm so eager to hear some feedback. Thank you in advance :)

:cheeky: LoveHealth :cheeky:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Living in Sosua

"What is the "day to day" reality like for life in Sousa? Can you describe what kinds of things a "week in the life" in Sosua might bring?"

It depends so much on what you are doing here. Working? Retired? The activities you like.

"What would you expect to pay for a "luxury" two bedroom penthouse condo in Sosua?"

I'll leave that to the experts. Are you buying or renting?

"What would you expect to pay for monthly expenses? (not including rent or mortgage)"

The lifestyle you live dictates your expenses, but it should be a fair bit less than up in the Great White North.

"If you have a DSL internet connection (not satellite or dial-up), how reliable is the connection? How often are there outages? Do the outages occur most frequently at certain times? How long do the outages last?"

My DSL works fine and rarely has outages, unless you are refering to power outages that are quite frequent.

"If you could "redo" your move to Sosua....what things would you have done differently?"

"Not been so stubborn trying to make the Dominicans change to my ways. When in Rome, do like the Romans."

"What are the most common mistakes that people make when they are in the process of moving to Sosua?"

Trust the wrong people, just because they are from the same country of origin.

"For the long term....would you choose beachfront or "mountain" view condo?"

That's a personal decision.

Good luck with your move, Marco.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Like Rocky, I live in Sosua.

If you are thinking of moving here, you should come here and talk with expats living here. You aren't going to get anything but a superficial understanding of life here from your questions to the board. Also, like Rocky says, much depends on the individual's desires, interests, income, personality, etc., etc.

DSL service is good. You will need your own generator or an inverter to keep it going all the time, however, due to the frequent power outages.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I will tackle the Condo issue. There are NO Mountain Condos in Sosua. There are NO beach front condos in Sosua. There are some Ocean Front & View Condos in Sosua. Price is from 150k to 330k.

I think I will end up with a Ocean View home because there are problems with beach front I don't want to deal with caused by salt and tides etc. I want to wake up looking at the ocean while not having to change all the electricals every year or two nor have my lawn washed away or killed by the salt.

I presently own and live in a condo across the street from the ocean but only 1 block from the main beach which I walk to just about every other day. I can also walk to restaurants, shops and nitelife but usually drive in case I want to go somewhere else from there.

Ken is giving you good advice. Frankly I can't see why you would even consider moving to a place you have never been to (judging from your post and lack of knowledge of what is around) unless it is just mental masturbation but what do I know. If you do get to Sosua and would like to have a meal together I would be happy to, along with giving you the quarter tour of the area and show you what is available and under construction.

Good luck,
Escott