Bringing a DVD player to the DR

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Can someone please advise if I will have problems at the airport in Santo Domingo if I bring a DVD player and some DVD movies as my carry on? I am planning on giving it to my nieces as a gift? Will they make me pay any taxes on it?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Only if they find it

negrecita2003 said:
Can someone please advise if I will have problems at the airport in Santo Domingo if I bring a DVD player and some DVD movies as my carry on? I am planning on giving it to my nieces as a gift? Will they make me pay any taxes on it?

and only if the bribe they ask for is more than the taxes. I doubt they'll bother looking or asking frankly.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Will they notice it when it goes through the scanner? Where they make you put your luggage through? I would keep it in its original box and put it into a bag to carry on.

ricktoronto said:
and only if the bribe they ask for is more than the taxes. I doubt they'll bother looking or asking frankly.

conor

Feb 6, 2004
What kind of DVD player work in dr

I know that there are zones that dvd player and movies have I was just wondering if anybody knows the DR dvd zone. I know Spain is Zone 2 and not to sure about DR. Would it be the same as the states. Thanks

nyc

Jan 26, 2004
If anyone in your close circle is computer literate, then
your best bet is to buy an Apex DVD Player.
Walmart, Circuit City, Sam's Club sells them.

You can program the Apex to disable Macrovision
and make the player Region Free and no more
need to worry about what region the dvd is encoded for.

I did this on my 3 disk player Apex 5131.

Types of players and hacks:
http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/

More info from how to forums:
http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23662

trt

Feb 3, 2004
negrecita2003 said:
Will they notice it when it goes through the scanner? Where they make you put your luggage through? I would keep it in its original box and put it into a bag to carry on.

I would take it out of the box, I think a box is more likely to flag someone that this is new and worth some money. When we moved here we brought a small one as a carryon (also a digital camera and a digital movie camera, both in carrying cases) and nobody seemed to care about any of it.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Scanner Where?

negrecita2003 said:

At the airport leaving they will x-ray it and maybe you open the box to show it's a DVD player but that's not the DR. In the DR do they scan your carry on luggage? I don't know since I don't bother with the whole customs formalities anymore.

Are you a DR citizen or just visting? If you are a visitor and they said anything I'd tell them as part of my holiday I am relaxing and watching my DVD's in the hotel room since I don't have time to do that at home. Hence the device and DVD's.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Zone 1

conor said:
I know that there are zones that dvd player and movies have I was just wondering if anybody knows the DR dvd zone. I know Spain is Zone 2 and not to sure about DR. Would it be the same as the states. Thanks

N.America/DR are Zone 1 and South America is Zone 4. If you go to Plaza Lama there are a lot of Zone 1 & 4 combined DVD players as I guess it is cheaper than South America to buy them and/or a lot of S. Am DVD's come north.

All the DVD's I saw for sale in the capital were Zone 1, undoubtedly imported from the USA.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Have experience with this at SDQ

A buddy traveling with me to RD decided to bring his novia a DVD player. I think it was an Apex, inexpensive - he got it for like $49 or so. Had it in the original box, but did not have the receipt, of course.

SDQ custom agents pulled him to the side, and told him to go "downstairs" to pay taxes on it. We're figuring $10-20 at most, because it weighed almost nothing. With no receipt, they tried to charge him $100+ USD for the DVD player.

Not sure if there is some sort of tax scale or whatever, but $100+ sounded like bribe money. Of course, he left the DVD player in customs, and some custom agent is watching DVDs, courtesy of my buddy.

My first foray in RD, at SDQ, we deal with this, and then the crooked cab drivers out front, who want a "regalo" for just saying hi.

Luckily, the trip got much better after leaving SD.

I've had no problems with my personal digital camera and portable DVD player, but I carry them in my carry bag, not suitcase.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
DR = zone 1 (just like usa)

If you have plenty of electronic goods then keep 10 dollars at hand and shake the custom agent's hand when he is about to open up your suitcases. Give him the money and out you go.
AZB

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Bringing DVD

I had an extra DVD player that I got as a present and decided to bring it down a couple of months ago. I took the DVD out of the box and put it in my luggage. They scanned the luggage and called me over. They made me take out the DVD and inspected it. I told them that I was going to a resort and would be using it and bringing it back. They kept harping on how the plug was not used and it looked new. They asked to see my passport and saw how many times I have been traveling back and forth. I stuck with my story and after 10 minutes was allowed to go.

Hope this helps.