I Will Be Fine, Eventually!!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
The reason that I am posting this is because I will not be posting for a while and because in this site, I have found that there are many people and some I even consider my friends. And also because I need to let some steam out.
A few weeks ago I was given horrible news regarding my bother. He has been suffrering from mental problems for a few years and I was always the one that was there for him. When he does not takes his medicine, he act as a person that has mental problems. He landed in some problems and he was kept on a holding cell and they called some family members to go pick him up and they did not wanted the responsabilty so they never picked him up. He tried to committ suicide 3 times while in the holding cell because he claimed that no one wanted him. When I found out where he was, I made some phone calls and within hours I had someone pick him up, clean him, feed him, and take care of him. He was taken to a doctor and was given medicine and so far, all is well. I speak to him 3 times every day. He is living with the person that I called and I guess that the medicines are working. I am taking care of everything myself. He has not tried to hurt himself ever since. I am a person that I truly care about my family and I take everything to heart and I suffer when someone I love is suffering. To put the nail on the coffin, something also very important happened but it's something that I will be able to handle, eventually, but it came in a time when I was going thru so much with my brother. Now I am the one that needs help.
Since the officers told me the ways he tried to commit suicide, I have not been able to erase from my mind the pictures of him doing such things, I have not been able to sleep more than 1 hour a day, I have not been able to eat ( I have lost 17 pounds), I have not been able to go to work, I forgot how to smile and I am always sad and depressed. A true friend of mine had her brother come from NJ with plane tickets on hand to take me to her in Florida because she knows what was going on and she knew how depressed I was. It helped to be surrounded by people that really cared about me but it only worked for a 1 day or so. I even went to see my personal doctor and now I realize that it's time to do something with my life. I will be going to the hospital tomorrow and let's see what they tell me. No matter what, I am a very, very strong person and I know that I will be ok. Take care all and be well.

Miguel

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Miguel, I am also going through some hard times. Stay strong, be cool.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
my first wife commited suicide and living with or having a close relative with mental illness is a terrible thing to go through. As someone who lived the nightmare for 5 years, it is important to remember THEY are the person with the problem, do not become part of the problem. Do your best for the person(loved one) but i repeat do not own the problem. I wish both you and your brother luck.

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Dear Migel,

I am glad you are seeking medical help. It is not an easy task being a caregiver. It has taken a lot out of you. There is just so much you can endure before it becomes too much. There are medications available that can help you through this difficult time and they do work. You will soon feel better.

Now is the time to take care of you. You need to rest both mentally and physically.

I understand your love of family and especially the love for your brother.

Most important, you are not alone, you have many people here who care about you, even if you have not met all of them face-to-face.

I understand and care...you can contact me anytime...

Joah

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Yes Miguel you WILL be fine again eventually!! As was mentioned, this is the time to devote some of the caring and love that you have been bestowing on other important people in your life to yourself. "No man is an island", but in the end each of us is responsible for ourselves. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Your Friend,
John

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel, now I will be sad all day. Its a rainy day in santiago which makes me gloomy and now I hear this about your family member, makes me remind me of the hard time I had to go through in atlanta a few months back.
I wish you good luck and to let you know that we folks at Dr1 are right behind you.
Regards,
AZB

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
johnsr said:
Yes Miguel you WILL be fine again eventually!! As was mentioned, this is the time to devote some of the caring and love that you have been bestowing on other important people in your life to yourself. "No man is an island", but in the end each of us is responsible for ourselves. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Your Friend,
John

What John said Miguel.

Larry

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
No man is an island, no man stands alone
Each man's joy is joy to me
Each man's grief is my own
We need one another, so I will defend
Each man as my brother
Each man as my friend

Miguel, remember that no matter what differences some of us have here on DR1, time after time we prove that we are a close knit family. We are all here for you. I am glad that we had that private chat.

As mentioned, you now need time for yourself. As soon as you feel up to it, keep us up to date.

carlos

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Miguel so sorry about your brother. Stay strong. I know you can do it. Please check in once in a while and let us know how you are doing ok.

God Bless

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Thank you for your openness

When we hear a personal story like yours, we remember how unimportant politics and temporary things are. Health, family, friends...that's what is really important. Many of us have been tormented by our helplessness when it comes to helping those we love. Fight to get them to accept the help they need, but remember you need help to survive this yourself. It sounds like you're getting it. God Bless.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Miguel---

Tho you are a stranger to me, please believe that I send a rocket each day to the "Old Man Upstairs" with your name on it.

Ordinarily, I don't go in very much for poetry, but there is one that I came across while in High School that has always stuck in my mind to the degree that when I get fed up with the world I always drag it out and read it for renewed inspiration.
If you cant find a copy on the internet under"Poetry", let me know and I'll send you one.

The poem is "IF" by Rudyard Kipling.

I implore you to read and digest it's words. They are truly profound.

Embrace the motto "illigitimus non carborundum", which, freely translated means "don't let the bastards grind you down".

Get yourself a "joke" book and read until you start laughing again. That's what I did when I was going through the same thing you're going through now.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, partner. Throw open the window and stick it to the world.

Texas Bill

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Miguel somone VERY close to me is suffering with the same problem with a close family member. I'm sorry you are also going through this. Like someone else said here, Dont own this problem, they cant help it. I wish you guys the best and remember to pray. Dont lose hope, there is someone Bigger and Powerful always listening.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Litlle update

Thanks al for yourr kinds words. I have no been able to read everything but I will as son as i get back. My brother is doing wel. i went to thi hospital today and I need to go back tomorrow for a few days stay. They foudn that I was to anemic and that i need rest because i was too depressed. My sister and some loved one are here taking care of me. They did some tests and they wanted to keep me today but i told them that i my appetite was not back, that I would go tomorrow (saturday), so they gave me some anti-depresants. since i did not wanted to eat after i came back, i will go and stay (wow, nice way to lose some weight). One of my best friend is a doctor and he will be getting here tomorrow from Florida and will be able to stay at the hospital with me 24/7. My thoughts are fine, it's just that I can't seem to stop thinking about some thins. And every time I think of my brother and other things, I get depressed and I just don't want to eat and don't want to bother with anyone. Mom used to say that i had one of the strongest minds that she has ever seen and I know that I will be fine. too many bad news at once is not too good. All of you be well and take care of yourself. I WILL BE BACK 100%. PROMISE.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No doubts about that, Miguel

Glad to hear you have people caring for you. A few days without food, if you don't feel up to it, will not hurt you too much. Can you manage a little chicken soup or similar liquid? Sounds like you're already on the road back, if you can joke about loosing weight!

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Great poem, Texas Bill. Miguel, I wish you and your brother a swift recovery. My thoughts are with you.

Amber