Spanish study

SamGompers

Mar 14, 2004
Hola,

I'm thinking about spending two or three weeks this summer (on a busman's holiday) in the DR to hone my serviceable spanish into something more proficient. A couple questions/issues I hope to get some help with.

Where to study? I like the beach and so tend to lean toward Sosua - - but is there enough to keep me occupied there for two or three weeks? also, does the sex-for-sale scene start to bother anybody who's non-AI and spending more than a couple of days? My other choice is Santo Domingo which lacks the beach but makes up for things in other ways.

Best schools to study? SD appears to have a broader choice. Are the schools there better? Also, is anyone aware of any short-term non-credit bearing univesity courses for foreigners?

Any opinions, info, experience etc. will be appreciated.

Last edited:

caribtraveller

Jan 20, 2004
SamGompers said:
Hola,

I'm thinking about spending two or three weeks this summer (on a busman's holiday) in the DR to hone my serviceable spanish into something more proficient. A couple questions/issues I hope to get some help with.

Where to study? I like the beach and so tend to lean toward Sosua - - but is there enough to keep me occupied there for two or three weeks? also, does the sex-for-sale scene start to bother anybody who's non-AI and spending more than a couple of days? My other choice is Santo Domingo which lacks the beach but makes up for things in other ways.

Best schools to study? SD appears to have a broader choice. Are the schools there better? Also, is anyone aware of any short-term non-credit bearing univesity courses for foreigners?

have a look at this site www.ilangdr.com they are a very good language school in sosua and offer excellent spanish courses... i took some myself on one of my previous trips and was very content.

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Spanish Study

SamGompers said:
Hola,

I'm trying for the same thing!! I want to study S panish in Santiago, however, and cannot find a single place except the universities which apparently offer only the full semester course. I have offered to pay for that course but can only stay 3 weeks. I don't want credit, etc. just opportunity to learn Spanish. Surely there are small facilities and/or tutors available but they must not have websites. I have found several schools in Santo Domingo if you are interested in going there. Don Quijote is great! I studied with them in Salamanca, Spain. Good luck!

conor

Feb 6, 2004
I am currently in Don Quijote in Salamanca and it is a great school I agree. They have a branch in Santa Domingo to if you didnt know. I look also in Santiago because I am coming down in on 22 on next month and could not find any there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Boy they must be stealing your money

If you cannot write Santo Domingo correctly.

Not to worry if you go to PUCMM in Santiago, like I asked, you will be learned reel gud!

Is English your native language??

HB

conor

Feb 6, 2004
English is my native lang

Very Funny HB I am not to good in english also and it is my native lang. Wonder were all the taxpayers dollars went to teacher me when I was in high school.

HB where do you live? When I get in to Santo Domingo I was thinking to stay there for a couple days, before going to Santiago. You have a suggestions on where to go to have a good time for the first couple days ? Thanks Conor

nancybelle

Feb 9, 2004
Language Study

conor said:
I am currently in Don Quijote in Salamanca and it is a great school I agree. They have a branch in Santa Domingo to if you didnt know. I look also in Santiago because I am coming down in on 22 on next month and could not find any there.
Check out the Berlitz when you are in Santiago; they told me classes in Spanish are offered. I have not been able to get any info on other facilities in Santiago. I am hoping when I arrive I can encounter someone who knows something about classes for foreigners. If not, I'll be on the bus to SD. The Don Quijote branch in SD is called Hispaniola, I believe. Have a great time!