Cost of living in the Dom Rep

Liz Essex

Mar 26, 2004
My husband and I are hoping to move to the Dom Rep in the next few months. We have acquired a tremendous about of infor regarding purchasing villas etc, but we cannot seem to get any informatoin on the cost of living. Can anyone let us know the general cost of living i.e. cost of bread, milk, eggs, the general day to day things. Also cost of electric and water per month. If a property was paid for and we didn't have any rent or mortgage, roughly how much would we need for a good standard of living, bearing in mind we are not expecting to be "partying" every night (we are in our early 50's not in our teens!!!!!).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Yes I can. "She who must be Obeyed" has the monthly shopping costs listed for the last 18 months & how they have gone up by 300% in some cases!!! Bread now from RD $50 per loaf, milk is RD $30, margerine (3 lb tub) from RD $130. Petrol now RD $95 per gallon (4 litres NOT imperial gallon!!), Electricity (when we get it) costs us RD $1,900 per month but gas (propane) is only RD $90 per month!!

Send me your list & I'll ask her to complete what our monthly costs are for every item you list. We have lived on the north coast for 12 years now & know where to get the best prices - generally!!!

PLEASE ....... DON'T buy proprty YET!! Live here for 6 - 9 months before going down that route. You need to get to know the 'Do's & Dont's' before risking your finances on a country that you may not enjoy!! Also, you might choose an area you don't enjoy once yopu are in it & selling is not as easy as UK & North America!!! Our other house in the town centre, has been on the market for 4 years!!

Best to e-mail me direct for the list of outgoings - I should be able to reply within 3 to 4 days. North Coast prices will be pertinent as that is where we live - south coast could be a site more!!!! - Grahame.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
resent bills paid

Well....I just paid my electric bill for the month of february and it was an estimated bill. Cost.....$361 pesos. We have basic household items...TV, radio, friegh, hot water tank, dvd player, fan, blender, etc....and we use them regularly. We are a small family of four and we turn off lights we don't use and turn the hot water tank off after showering. I think a bill of $500 pesos is about right for a couple with basic items.

Also just went shopping and spent $3500 on food shopping for about a week to 10 days worth of stuff. around $80 US dollars. Basics...eggs,milk,juice, fruit, pasta, sause, soda, meats, cleaning products, beans,cookies, veggies...etc

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We would LOVE an electricity bill like yours!

Where do you live? Size of house? I think this info would help the original poster. Our electricity costs are 4 times yours and many others are 4 times ours!

Jay Pedro

Jan 10, 2002
Cost of living in Puerto Plata

Liz,
Two can live very comfortably for US $ 700-1000 per month if you don't need to pay for housing. This will leave plenty of room for house repairs & maintenance, electric power with inverter but no air conditioning ($ 50 - 70); summer air conditioning of bedroom (6 months): $ 25; telephone & internet ($ 50-70); gasoline and car maintenance, depending on how far away from Puerto Plata or Sosua ($ 50-70); food and household ($ 200-400); maid who also cooks ($ 100), gardenening help ($20), restaurants ($50 -150).

I recommend Costambar (where we bought our house 10 years ago, at your age) for housing costs, nearness to Puerto Plata, breeziness (saves air conditioning), lovely beaches, gated, quiet retirement and community atmosphere (but not plasticky-keeping-up-with-the-Joneses-like); possibly sea views if you can afford and like this, best appreciation potential for real estate because Costambar has remained depressed in the past due to nearby power plants, inept developer management and uncomfortable distance (55 minutes) for the major realtors (who are in Sosua).

The good news:
Some power plants are on the way out, recently improved management (by the Costambar homeowners association), the nearly completed, nearby twenty-million-dollar Ocean World marine park investment and the anticipated investment by the private Puerto Plata Cruise Port Development Company (with unofficial backing from Carnival Cruise Lines), a major new real estate broker serving the area (us), as well as several top resort hotels will put Puerto Plata-West on the international map and give real estate prices here some good appreciation in the next 2-5 years.

We are biased, so don't take our word for it, but our children, who are very spoilt Americans, love to visit, and so do the grand children, and we don't even have a swimming pool yet.

If you let us help you find the perfect house for you here, we'll show you how to get good deals on satellite TV (cable has a lot of Spanish language channels), point you to the "right" doctors and lawyers, bankers, computer people, car mechanics etc., and introduce you to likeminded people.
Just send us a private message back with your e-mail and phone number, so we can contact you without any obligation and tell you more about how we can help you and why we may be right for you.

Bienvenidos a la Costa de Ambar!
Jay & Herma

hexebc

Mar 22, 2004
cost of living

Jay Pedro said:
Liz,
Two can live very comfortably for US $ 700-1000 per month if you don't need to pay for housing. This will leave plenty of room for house repairs & maintenance, electric power with inverter but no air conditioning ($ 50 - 70); summer air conditioning of bedroom (6 months): $ 25; telephone & internet ($ 50-70); gasoline and car maintenance, depending on how far away from Puerto Plata or Sosua ($ 50-70); food and household ($ 200-400); maid who also cooks ($ 100), gardenening help ($20), restaurants ($50 -150).

I recommend Costambar (where we bought our house 10 years ago, at your age) for housing costs, nearness to Puerto Plata, breeziness (saves air conditioning), lovely beaches, gated, quiet retirement and community atmosphere (but not plasticky-keeping-up-with-the-Joneses-like); possibly sea views if you can afford and like this, best appreciation potential for real estate because Costambar has remained depressed in the past due to nearby power plants, inept developer management and uncomfortable distance (55 minutes) for the major realtors (who are in Sosua).

The good news:
Some power plants are on the way out, recently improved management (by the Costambar homeowners association), the nearly completed, nearby twenty-million-dollar Ocean World marine park investment and the anticipated investment by the private Puerto Plata Cruise Port Development Company (with unofficial backing from Carnival Cruise Lines), a major new real estate broker serving the area (us), as well as several top resort hotels will put Puerto Plata-West on the international map and give real estate prices here some good appreciation in the next 2-5 years.

We are biased, so don't take our word for it, but our children, who are very spoilt Americans, love to visit, and so do the grand children, and we don't even have a swimming pool yet.

If you let us help you find the perfect house for you here, we'll show you how to get good deals on satellite TV (cable has a lot of Spanish language channels), point you to the "right" doctors and lawyers, bankers, computer people, car mechanics etc., and introduce you to likeminded people.
Just send us a private message back with your e-mail and phone number, so we can contact you without any obligation and tell you more about how we can help you and why we may be right for you.

Bienvenidos a la Costa de Ambar!
Jay & Herma

It's just been a bit of luck seeing your reply to someone elses questions. My hubby and I are wrestling with either DR of San Jose del Cabo for our retirement. I, to be honest, am a bit scared about DR and living on an island. Should be used to it coming from Berlin (before the fall of the wall). I have seen so many different opinions on DR. I would love for my husband to go over and meet some good people who could help him. You just sound that you might be the one we are looking for. We have been looking at real estate on the net in Sosua and found some nice houses. But I am not sure that I would like to live in a gated community seems to much like a prison to me. Is there a way for my husband to get in contact with you and maybe he'll decide to go over for a month or two. I am still working and until we have decided what to do will continue to do so. Plus we are not ready yet to sell our house of over 25 years and move to a strange place.
It would be nice if you email us at gord.barb@shaw.ca
God bless, Babra

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
My apt.

I have an apartment in Santiago in an area called el Paraiso. It's just off the mountain road going to puerto plata. It's on the border of Gurabo.

I have a frige, hotwater tank, blender, fruit juice squeezer, tv, fan, dvd player, small radio, washing machine, and about 8 light bulbs in the apartment. My wife is pretty good at turning off lights not being used and we turn off the hot water tank most of the day.

My actual bill should be around $350 pesos a month, but they keep sending me an estimated bill that is higher than what I actually use. And when I was about to take a reading for the month of Jan-feb, someone stole my meter. And it's taken me two months to get a new one after 3 visits and 5 phone calls.

And for anyone who doesn't believe me. I have the bills to prove it....... :lick:

Last edited:

POPLady

Dec 30, 2003
Any idea of what one bedroom condos on the beach are going for these days in Costambar.

ustelephone

Mar 31, 2004
www.ecoislandadventures.com
santanatwins said:
Well....I just paid my electric bill for the month of february and it was an estimated bill. Cost.....$361 pesos. We have basic household items...TV, radio, friegh, hot water tank, dvd player, fan, blender, etc....and we use them regularly. We are a small family of four and we turn off lights we don't use and turn the hot water tank off after showering. I think a bill of $500 pesos is about right for a couple with basic items.

Also just went shopping and spent $3500 on food shopping for about a week to 10 days worth of stuff. around $80 US dollars. Basics...eggs,milk,juice, fruit, pasta, sause, soda, meats, cleaning products, beans,cookies, veggies...etc

I live in a 1-bedroom in Santo Domingo. I do have a small wall-unit AC in the bedroom which we run 8 hours per night. My electric bill this month is $5,877 pesos; around 200 USD. Last month it was 4713 pesos. Also, next months bill will be at a higher tariff (9%) because we consume more than 700 KWH per month. I have checked that the meter doesn't move when everything is off. Also, I have had the AC checked and it is fine. I also compare the meter numbers to the bill and they match perfectly.

The only way I can see someone with a 500 peso bill is if they are on plant 22 hours per day.

I went grocery shopping Sunday and was amazed at the insanity. A 4-pack of Charmin toilet paper was 140 pesos ($3.50 USD). A .88 pound T-Bone steak was 78 pesos. I'm going start eating toilet paper and wiping my *** with T-Bone steaks.

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Electric Bill...

Our electric in the hot months is about 2300 pesos per month. We run the A/C wall unit for one room about 8 hours per night. In the cooler months the electric bill is about 1400 pesos per month. We live in Santiago.

This was once no big deal but I changed dollars today at 28 to 1. I am happy we are going into the cooler months now.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
We are talking about the DR right?

Sorry to burst your bubble Liz but let's look at this again shall we? My last electricity bill for my 3 bedroom house with one broken a/c unit was 6300 pesos. That's $247 US PER MONTH. Food shopping - Harrods in London is considerably cheaper - lets say $800 per month (I spend more but still I have to avoid buying wine which is stupidly expensive, I know I could spend a bit less but right now, not a lot less). Staff? You need a gardener and maybe some part time cleaning arrangement - allow at least $100 per month. Telephone? I just paid my month's bill this afternoon - it was $156. Now you need to run a car - add at least another $100 - don't forget the cost which will be around $25000 for an average run-around. Would you like to go out from time to time? $500 per month at the rough end of town. Security? Gated community? Water? Medical Insurance will be a must-have and will not be cheap. The list goes on and on. Sorry to say this but you're going to need at least $2000 US per month in order to struggle along. The days of high living are just a distant dream.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you look at the date of the original post, Simon, you'll see it was a few months back. Liz Essex & husband are now here, living not all that far from you & busily building a house. You met her last month, I believe.

Your electricity bill seems high to me. I know you've been down this road before..........& got it sorted, but it still seems high. Ours is just under 3000 pesos a month, biggish house in Bayardo, Puerto Plata........2 A/C units, not broken, 2 fridges, 2 computers, 3 TVs, usual assortment of lights, fans, electrical kitchen appliances, dishwashing machine, washing machine etc etc for a family of 2 adults. Can't believe you would use more than double of what we use.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
BushBaby said:
Yes I can. "She who must be Obeyed" has the monthly shopping costs listed for the last 18 months & how they have gone up by 300% in some cases!!! Bread now from RD $50 per loaf, milk is RD $30, margerine (3 lb tub) from RD $130. Petrol now RD $95 per gallon (4 litres NOT imperial gallon!!), Electricity (when we get it) costs us RD $1,900 per month but gas (propane) is only RD $90 per month!!

Send me your list & I'll ask her to complete what our monthly costs are for every item you list. We have lived on the north coast for 12 years now & know where to get the best prices - generally!!!

PLEASE ....... DON'T buy proprty YET!! Live here for 6 - 9 months before going down that route. You need to get to know the 'Do's & Dont's' before risking your finances on a country that you may not enjoy!! Also, you might choose an area you don't enjoy once yopu are in it & selling is not as easy as UK & North America!!! Our other house in the town centre, has been on the market for 4 years!!

Best to e-mail me direct for the list of outgoings - I should be able to reply within 3 to 4 days. North Coast prices will be pertinent as that is where we live - south coast could be a site more!!!! - Grahame.

You guys are patetic i dont pay anything close to that and i live in the city of SANTO DOMINGO in a very nice neighborhood guys stop wining the prices will come down accordingly.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
ERICKXSON said:
You guys are patetic i dont pay anything close to that and i live in the city of SANTO DOMINGO in a very nice neighborhood guys stop wining the prices will come down accordingly.

Very intelligent reply.

How about posting what you are paying for various things.
Prices and location etc.

On another note, this was my 4,000th post.
I really need to get a life :)

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
What!

santanatwins said:
Well....I just paid my electric bill for the month of february and it was an estimated bill. Cost.....$361 pesos.

We pay a at the very least RD$ 9000.00 per month and ond often RD$ 12.000

( Power or no Power)

Just wait till they straighten out your estimate! This is not posibale in less you live in a Bannana Hut with one light builb.

Gringo

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Thanks Erickxson - so VERY helpful...

Nice one - I've never been put down on a thread before. Ready for my reply?

Here goes...

This board is to help and advise people - I'm glad you live in a big city, I'm even more happy about the fact that it couldn't be much further away from where I live. I bet it's like the vast majority of our glorious Capital city.

If I was looking to move here to live and I read a thread that says I can live well for $700 US I might well pack up my bags and come here. When I discover that it's going to cost me double that amount what on Earth will I do? I would probably be facing ruin.

In the case of DR1 the answer is obvious - we need a sticky with a "basket" of items priced by us as and when we buy them. That way newbies who might just want to sell up everything and come here will have a good idea about how much everything will cost without constantly asking the same question.

I'm so very pleased that you can live on a shoestring Erickxson, perhaps you are among those who just steal electricity, perhaps you just avoid paying your taxes, then perhaps you brag about how little you pay your staff and work them 80 hours a week? Perhaps you survive by preying on newbies when they arrive, quickly fleecing them out of thousands of dollars? Perhaps you're a decent, hardworking person, - I don't know, but you are comparing chalk and cheese.

The North Coast is the place where the majority of retired / semi retired British professionals are likely to come. They are going to want to buy a villa with a pool in around 1/2 acre of land. They are not likely to want to live in some crappy apartment with a fan and a lightbulb for friends. Where do you think the person who posted the original thread ended up?

I am not "patetic" (sic), I am a forty one year old professional who realised one day that he could retire because he had made more money than he could spend in the rest of his life. I truley do not give a **** about money and / or your lack of it. My concern is for the people who come here with such wonderful, starry eyed dreams, I can count myself among those people and sometimes we have to stand back and watch as their dreams come crashing down around them - that is why I warn people - hell I'd like to see plane loads of newbies arrive every day to realise their dreams but if one goes back out of one hundred that came, in my opinion that is one too many. We have a moral responsibility here - life is not a competition to see how little money you can survive on. Life is to be lived.

Please don't refer to me as "patetic" ever again. - Remember, intelligent people read this board too.