Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Dominican That Hates The Dr!!

Yeup!! All MY FATHER talks about is that "ir a santo domingo e a sufri" "uno no se relaja, mejor irse a la florida" "oigan, que lla no se puede vivir en santo domingo" and then after he reads the newspaper with some dominican news on it ( it's always negative, when something negative doesn't happens in the DR, the newspapers don't print anything about the DR - Listin Diario) he says "tu cre que yo me voi a ir pa santo domingo con la cosa asi? bulsheet!" and then he curses the country up and down. He also be complaining that he is not happy in the U.S. either as well as complaining about the "bendito frio". I would like to what nice things about the DR would be "strong" enough to curve his excessive negative view of his own country, the country that made it possible for him to be born and have an education (he got all his education including graduating from high school in the DR, but he doesn't thank the DR for that, eventhough if he would've never had gotten those basic educations, he was not going to be able to attend the university here in the U.S.) What would you say?

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Default He's and old Dominican Man...

There is NO changing his mind at this point. My suggestion to you is to first, take it all with a grain of salt, and second, express your views and feelings on his derogative comments about the land you love. But you are pretty much stuck with this viewpoint until....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nal0whs
    Yeup!! All MY FATHER talks about is that "ir a santo domingo e a sufri" "uno no se relaja, mejor irse a la florida" "oigan, que lla no se puede vivir en santo domingo" and then after he reads the newspaper with some dominican news on it ( it's always negative, when something negative doesn't happens in the DR, the newspapers don't print anything about the DR - Listin Diario) he says "tu cre que yo me voi a ir pa santo domingo con la cosa asi? bulsheet!" and then he curses the country up and down. He also be complaining that he is not happy in the U.S. either as well as complaining about the "bendito frio". I would like to what nice things about the DR would be "strong" enough to curve his excessive negative view of his own country, the country that made it possible for him to be born and have an education (he got all his education including graduating from high school in the DR, but he doesn't thank the DR for that, eventhough if he would've never had gotten those basic educations, he was not going to be able to attend the university here in the U.S.) What would you say?
    I have some relatives like that......if you are in NY or Boston......have him move to Miami. It's a perfect in between. A few of my relatives have made their way from NYC and Boston down there and they are a lot happier.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep..

My father is the same way. He moved to the US in the 70s and went back to the DR to study medicine in the 80s and when he went back he was discontent to a certain point. I mean, he liked the women of course with their nice shapes and attitudes, the food, etc... But he casually jokes around now that I'm living here doing the same, studying medicine and goes, 'Mijo, how are the dumbinicans' and I just start laughing and tell him that he's mean. But oh well, what can I do...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theartofbone
    My father is the same way. He moved to the US in the 70s and went back to the DR to study medicine in the 80s and when he went back he was discontent to a certain point. I mean, he liked the women of course with their nice shapes and attitudes, the food, etc... But he casually jokes around now that I'm living here doing the same, studying medicine and goes, 'Mijo, how are the dumbinicans' and I just start laughing and tell him that he's mean. But oh well, what can I do...
    The problem with our older generation Dominican parents and so on can only remember and go back to the days of Trujillo and live scared to ever return and live in the island, on top of that Dominicans directly born and raised in the country are all 95% closed minded! and as you can see they are never satified even when they have it good, From my observation and now that I recently moved there they are not open to changes, not in music, food, clothes, hair styles, etc. I can see that it is our generation the 20 or 30 something generation that can shape the future in that island because others have betrayed it these so called Dominicans living in the U.S. believe they have it good but there at the bottom of the food chain scrapping for dollars in an old tired *** job! these natives are the worst enemies that the island have. you see them with there D.R. flag on there car, you see them in Parades, but ask them what do they give back to the future and the children of the island and they can't say a damm thing, you see Dominicans believe that the U.S. is great because they will give them $6.00 an hour to sweep an office building, but there are people in the island today that are real survivers because they invest back into the D.R. community, you see what makes D.R. a third world country is not money, but the people is why D.R. is third world, the U.S. was third world back in the day especially during the great depression, but it was the people who said!! I will better myself I demand free education, I demand free enterprise, I demand laws to protect my children and my investment, I live here so I might as well make this the best place a better place to live, they did not go to china, Japan and bad mouth the U.S. they invested in the country, demanded laws to better govern themselves, and civilized there culture...Are Dominicans trying to do this in the island yes, has it been easy NO! and the one's who leave and abandon there people, culture and children are just as if not twice as bad because now in there little mined they believe that anyone going back to the D.R. is clinically insane, these people even have Dominicans in the home land believe this theory!! and these illusions are causing these people to lose hope and confidence in there country! look you cannot have 8 million Dominicans move to the U.S Dominicans must help Dominicans, that means even the one's living outside the country, that is insane!!, it's like leaving your country and sending a nuclear bomb and saying oh well it was a horrible country anyway you see, you are the problem not politicians D.R. is the envy of the carribean more advanced then any other carribean nation including those nations that are not carribean like Afganistan, Venezuela, Brazil, and the list is enlist this nation is a nation of fighters that is still open for direction don't try to kill it's spirit, but try in helping it improve it's economy and it's education... in closing God bless the Dominican Republic - and those who bad mouth there own country always looking for the negative ask what have you done to improve it!!! this is from a man born and raised in the U.S. now living in the island to make a freaking difference.....SEE YA.
    Last edited by daddy1; 03-31-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Nal0whs]Yeup!! All MY FATHER talks about is that "ir a santo domingo e a sufri" "uno no se relaja, mejor irse a la florida" "oigan, que lla no se puede vivir en santo domingo" and then after he reads the newspaper with some dominican news on it ( it's always negative, when something negative doesn't happens in the DR, the newspapers don't print anything about the DR - Listin Diario) he says "tu cre que yo me voi a ir pa santo domingo con la cosa asi? bulsheet!" and then he curses the country up and down. He also be complaining that he is not happy in the U.S. either as well as complaining about the "bendito frio".

It sounds like your dad is just not happy with his life period. It's like whereever you go, there you are type of thing.

Te aconsejo paciencia pues no hay otra alternativa. Dile que en la Republica se vive muy bien, si uno tiene una economia, su casa y todo lo que necesita no hay porque alterarce tanto. Entiendo que las cosas han cambiado mucho desde "sus dias" pero todavia la Republica es un lugar maravilloso para retirarse y vivir tranquilo. Si el no esta retirado todavia, puede ser que este impaciente y incomodo. Buena suerte.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

D.R. is the envy of the carribean more advanced then any other carribean nation including those nations that are not carribean like Afganistan, Venezuela, Brazil, and the list is enlist this nation is a nation of fighters
    Why do you consider the DR to be more "advanced" than Brazil ? I have never been to the DR but I have been to Brazil and what you're saying looks to me as basically the same as saying The Bahamas is more advanced than the USA. I have never been to the Bahamas either but I have been to the USA and I think the size of a country and it's resources can give us a very good idea of how "advanced" a country may be. Here's some facts about Brazil:

"Brazil is the fifth largest country in the world.", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

"Brazil's GDP (PPP) outweighs that of any other Latin American country (except Mexico)", see Economy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

"According to the CIA World Factbook Brazil had the eleventh largest economy in the world at purchasing power parity in 2004", See Economy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I must say that your father is partly right. Within the last thirty or fourty years there has not been any real progress in the DR: e.g. until now they have not been able to solve their electricity problem, streets are still full of holes, the education system is a complete desaster. Nothing works out like it should: It is a chaotic thirld world state and will never improve inspite of the nice words of the politicians: They do not care about their own people. ** sentence insulting Dominicans edited ** But it requires a change of their basic attitude to life what - if ever- will not change within the next decades.
    Last edited by Chris; 03-25-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What a "TWO FACE" You Are "Naals"!!!

You "post" like you are here in the DR! Like you are a Wealthy Dominican living the "Good Life" on "Los Casicasgos"! When your reality is that you live "somewhere" in Conn.
    If you disagree with your father so strongly,"Come On Down" There is a need for the Dominican's "Educated Elite"? to return home and make the changes needed to prove your father wrong!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps. "WHAT HANSBERT SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

CC, this thread is older than your marriage.
    AZB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast