Why do you post on DR1?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm curious. Why do you post on DR1?

Here are the reasons I can think of:

1. Social. To chat and make friends that are living similar lives.
2. The drama. Its "exciting" to see some of the drama that happens here and jump in on a thread. This is also the motivation to correct a mistake someone has made in posting
3. A feeling of superiority over watching others have problems, and put them down (per all the negative/critical posts).
4. To help others get started in the DR
5. To get people into DR investment schemes and take a percentage
6. To curry favor with particular members of the board (eg promote Fabio, get better free answers to your legal questions online)
7. To learn. Its a great place to ask questions.

But I am guessing. There's clearly something here that keeps you coming back.

What is it for you?

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I came here to get info about the DR. Now I live here and am addicted to this damn message board.

I never made a penny getting anyone to invest in anything in the DR. I have set up a great network in this country which of course makes many people money probably with the exception of myself. I enjoy this and don't mind buying a person a meal or doing a favor for most people.

I was once bought a dinner when someone I referred to a RE agent bought some property. It was a nice meal but far from enough to make me recommend someone who wasn't a right person.

I was once able to get someone I recommend to be a guarrantor for another person I know in order for him to get his residency. Guess what goes around comes around every once in a while.

conor

Feb 6, 2004
See You Guys Soon!!!!!

Well I am new to the forum and I post and read it because I want to come down (First trip on 22 of April). I take part in many different forum but I have to say this is one of this best. People that I have talk to have been very nice and informative on ?'s. Well I hope to see so of you there when i get there only 26 more days. Conor

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I stumbled upon this site while trying to research DR's economy and real estate. I fiqured I'd better learn about the country we are investing in. I not only found information that was very helpful but it also gives me the opportunity to get information that is specific to my situation.Of course if I make a few friends or contacts that's just an added bonus.I most definately do not post because of some feeling of superiority.If I can help someone by answering a question then I feel I am at least giving something back.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
I vacation often in the DR and want to retire there. This is by far the best place to find honest information. Through this board I have redirected my ideas more than once. I know for sure I can make it work now. All that is left is deciding how and where I want to live.
I get flamed sprayed when I am not clear with my thoughts. I am used to comunicating with people with a focused set of standard ideas and I find the sarcasm and requirement in clarity from the more experianced posters helpful in getting me out of the military mold.
John

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
I'm curious. Why do you post on DR1?

Here are the reasons I can think of:

1. Social. To chat and make friends that are living similar lives.
2. The drama. Its "exciting" to see some of the drama that happens here and jump in on a thread. This is also the motivation to correct a mistake someone has made in posting
3. A feeling of superiority over watching others have problems, and put them down (per all the negative/critical posts).
4. To help others get started in the DR
5. To get people into DR investment schemes and take a percentage
6. To curry favor with particular members of the board (eg promote Fabio, get better free answers to your legal questions online)
7. To learn. Its a great place to ask questions.

But I am guessing. There's clearly something here that keeps you coming back.

What is it for you?

Why do you post? What motivated you to post these questions?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey, I asked first. I'll tell, but its not nice to answer a question with a question. :)

For me, its #1, #2, #7. The social/drama and learning aspects are what keep me coming back.

Why do I ask? I want to better understand the dynamics of what keeps people here. So should you, so you can serve them better. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
Hey, I asked first. I'll tell, but its not nice to answer a question with a question. :)

For me, its #1, #2, #7. The social/drama and learning aspects are what keep me coming back.

Why do I ask? I want to better understand the dynamics of what keeps people here. So should you, so you can serve them better. :)

I know what keeps peope here, that's why we have people here :)

Would I give out the secret receipe? Nope.

You will not find it by asking, but only by doing.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It starts with tools but the focus should be on people.

The more you can emulate a real community, the more successful you will be.

Best summed up by the words of an admin in another forum.

Ultimately, community management is the art of letting people have their say, while encouraging them to say things that matter to someone, somewhere.

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Why post?

Unfornuately, I don't think this board is any better or worst than other electronic bulletin boards. The reasons are for posting anything are universal. The advice recieved might be good and then some might not be good. "buyer beware" and approach with caution. I think most here a well-intentioned, and polite. Others I would not walk down a dark alley with.
:D

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
It's kind of like panning for gold.......

......most of the time, you come up with gravel and sand and debris, but every so often, you come up with that big nugget that makes it all worth while.

An excellent and unanticipated additional benefit is developing a fun and interesting and diverse social circle of friends to visit when we are down there. It would have been impossible without this forum. How else could you end up at an Easter dinner for 100 people in a far away land?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Simply to keep in touch with what is happening generally - to learn some about my new adopted country - to post nice things about nice people and nice experiences - to keep up with the news in English and the current political dramas - to be a sharing and functioning member of a community so that when I need to ask a question, people are willing to answer it.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Same goes for me.

Escott said:
I came here to get info about the DR. Now I live here and am addicted to this damn message board.

I needed to learn the business side of the DR. Fine, I've done some great reading and learned a lot, but I got hooked in the process. I read everything now and I have so much fun reading the amusing posts from CC, AZB and O&C. Very comical guys.