Advice please

Sosua

Mar 28, 2004
Hello folks,
I'm a new recruit to the forum, and I must say that this forum is quite informative. Lovely.
Having said that, I seek the expert advice of all of you out there. I am looking to purchase a 1 week "ALL INCLUSIVE" holiday package from Puerto Plata to Varadero Cuba. I do not know any contacts in Puerto Plata. Any advice?
I also must say that this package is for a friend who is Dominican, who will be travelling to Cuba. Of what I understand there should be no problems with a Dominican travelling to Cuba. The only requirement is a valid passport. Am I right?
Furthermore, is it cheaper to simply buy air only to Cuba and then make accomodation plans on arrival? Or is there a way to simply purchase an all inclusive package holiday from a travel agent. Any and all advice in this matter is greatly appreciated. I thank all of you in advance for your time and support.
Cheers!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
99% Sure He'll Fly from SDQ

Sosua said:
Hello folks,
Having said that, I seek the expert advice of all of you out there. I am looking to purchase a 1 week "ALL INCLUSIVE" holiday package from Puerto Plata to Varadero Cuba. I do not know any contacts in Puerto Plata. Any advice?
I also must say that this package is for a friend who is Dominican, who will be travelling to Cuba. Of what I understand there should be no problems with a Dominican travelling to Cuba. The only requirement is a valid passport. Am I right?
Furthermore, is it cheaper to simply buy air only to Cuba and then make accomodation plans on arrival? Or is there a way to simply purchase an all inclusive package holiday from a travel agent.

I think if you consult with a Dominican travel agent in the capital you may discover that all inclusive packages FROM the DR are a lot more rare than TO the DR. So rare, I suspect as to not exist. And from POP highly unlikely for anyone since there are no flights.

In all likelyhood your friend will fly from SDQ to HAV on Cubana who fly a few times a week. On arrival quite often the Cuban migracion wants to know where you are staying and this should be arranged in advance, though the casas particular (private homes) are a much better deal, so one day booked at a hotel would be a good idea, then you find a casa. All that said, they are prevalent in Havana and not that common in Veradero, so your friend may need to arrange a hotel for the entire time. A Dominican needs no tourist visa in advance.

The Cuban authorities can be VERY sticky and if you arrive without a hotel booked they may just take you to the Nacional at $200 a night in the wrong city. They don't question planeloads of Canadians arriving en masse because a) they don't speak a mutual language and b) they always have a package hotel. And we aren't Americans. Or Dominicans either for that matter.

Considering the relative sameness of beaches in the DR and beaches in Veradero, this sounds a bit like carrying coals to Newcastle - why would somone in Sosua want to vacation in Cuba to begin with? By the time you pay to get there you could stay in an AI in the DR just about anywhere. And a lot more conveniently.

Tell your friend to ask a travel agent directly if such exists in Sosua, or he may have to call down to Santo Domingo for advice. But if there are packages it would be truly amazing to learn that.

Sosua

Mar 28, 2004
Thank you

Thank you very much for the advice, I greaty appreciate it. The reason for this journey is for a re-union of friends. Since our Dominican friend cannot visit us in Canada due to the complicated visa restrictions, a group of us are travelling to Cuba this year and thought perhaps it would be nice to have a re-union in Cuba. It seems that this could be an alternate solution that permits us to see our friend again while we all enjoy a week's holiday in Varadero. An agent in Canada suggested that we could purchase an acccomodation package at our resort for our friend along with our reservations but our friend must find an airline to bridge the gap to Varadero.
It seems somewhat complicated considering that it is broken in two parts in two different countries....I don't like it. Hence I seek information on complete packages that may be offered locally in the DR for Cuba.
Once again, I appreciate your help, now that you have more details, if there is anything else that you would like to add....feel free.
Cheers!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Emely Tours in Santo Domingo do flights and package tours to Cuba.

Tel. 566 4545

Chiri

Sosua

Mar 28, 2004
Cheers Mate!

Chirimoya said:
Emely Tours in Santo Domingo do flights and package tours to Cuba.

Tel. 566 4545

Chiri
Cheers mate, this is great advice that you lot are giving me. Is Santo Domingo also an (809) area code? Not a big issue...I'll figure that out.
Do you by chance know what a reasonable fare for a package deal around the 15th of May might be? I ask, so that I have a reference when I am quoted with a price. Once again, thank you.
Cheers!