Punta Cana to Juan Dolio

nubiankat

Mar 28, 2004
I am flying in to Punta Cana and am planning on taking the bus to Juan Dolio. Is there a bus station close to the airport in Punta Cana? Does anyone know the schedule for going by way of Juan Dolio?

I am very concerned, because my flight arrives at 2:15 on the 3rd of April. I don't want to miss the last bus or anything and have to find arrangements in Punta Cana. This is supposed to be a busy week in Punta Cana.

Also, once I get to Juan Dolio, is there anyone who can tell me about the different discos?
Thanks

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
nubiankat said:
I am flying in to Punta Cana and am planning on taking the bus to Juan Dolio. Is there a bus station close to the airport in Punta Cana? Does anyone know the schedule for going by way of Juan Dolio?

I am very concerned, because my flight arrives at 2:15 on the 3rd of April. I don't want to miss the last bus or anything and have to find arrangements in Punta Cana. This is supposed to be a busy week in Punta Cana.

Also, once I get to Juan Dolio, is there anyone who can tell me about the different discos?
Thanks

2:15 am or pm?
There is an hourly bus from Bavaro (or PC itself, not sure) to Santo Domingo and you should you be able to find that (likely a taxi from the airport to the bus) , you should be able to get off on the highway at Juan Dolio. Search recent threads on Higuey and santo Domingo and you should get the drill.

JD is a couple of AI's and a couple small hotels and not a whole lot else.

Question - why fly into PUJ when you are going to be 50 Km from either SDQ or LRM airports?

nubiankat

Mar 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
2:15 am or pm?
There is an hourly bus from Bavaro (or PC itself, not sure) to Santo Domingo and you should you be able to find that (likely a taxi from the airport to the bus) , you should be able to get off on the highway at Juan Dolio. Search recent threads on Higuey and santo Domingo and you should get the drill.

JD is a couple of AI's and a couple small hotels and not a whole lot else.

Question - why fly into PUJ when you are going to be 50 Km from either SDQ or LRM airports?

Thanks. That will be helpful. Is Bavaro a bus station? Or am I catching it from the street?

I'm a teacher who has been looking a rates and finally found a good one. I have a place to stay there, but wasn't originally going to go there. I was looking for somewhere cheap to stay in PC, but I heard something about the semana de los santos before Easter with many going to PC. With that it was rough finding somewhere to stay that wasn't going to be an arm and a leg.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I am not an expert (PUJ)

nubiankat said:
Thanks. That will be helpful. Is Bavaro a bus station? Or am I catching it from the street?

I'm a teacher who has been looking a rates and finally found a good one. I have a place to stay there, but wasn't originally going to go there. I was looking for somewhere cheap to stay in PC, but I heard something about the semana de los santos before Easter with many going to PC. With that it was rough finding somewhere to stay that wasn't going to be an arm and a leg.

But Bavaro is like a small town near PC. Higuey is the big town near PC. NB: it's called Semana Santa in normal parlance. So you have to get to Bavaro by cab and find the bus. Hopefully PJT or another expert will give you better info.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You can?t get there from here, they say sometimes

Well, let?s put it this way. You can get to Juan Dolio. How you get there is your option. DR1 is here to help.

An option is to take a taxi direct to the destination. Rafael Silva (www.dominicantaxi.com/Rates.html) offers the service at US $100, Punta Cana to Juan Dolio. There is also the services of Beron Taxi (809) 552-1013, a local taxi, (economical fares) located at the Beron Crossroads, more or less 8 km from the airport and Siutratural, the tourist taxi syndicate, (tourist fares) (809) 221-2741, they have taxis stationed at the airport.

Taking a bus to get to Juan Dolio is another story because of the inconvenience that Juan Dolio does not have direct express bus service from Punta Cana or Higuey

PJT considers following your bus options.

1.) Take a taxi, 45 minutes ( Beron Taxi @ 500 ? 600 Pesos or Suitratural $?), to the Higuey bus station, Sichoprola, near the cathedral, then take the intercity bus Higuey - La Romana ? San Pedro de Macoris ? Juan Dolio** - Boca Chica - Sto. Domingo. It runs every 15 minutes from Higuey, 7 am to 7 pm. With stops in every city. The bus fare to Juan Dolio is 100 Pesos. Travel time from Higuey is about 1.75 hrs.

2.) Take the Bavaro - Sto Domingo express bus from the Sitrabapu bus station near the Friusa crossroads in Bavaro. It is 20 ? 30 min by taxi, US$ 25, from airport. There are two trips a day, 7 am and 4 pm. ask driver to drop you off at Boca Chica which is about 10 miles beyond Juan Dolio. Then take a taxi to Juan Dolio. Note: Using his method you circumnavigate and bypass Juan Dolio via the Autopista del Este because there is no place to drop you off on the autopista having available roadside onward transportation to Juan Dolio proper You need to get to the bus station no later than 3:30. Tickets are a first come ? first serve basis.

My opinion is you are best served by taking a taxi direct from Punta Cana to Juan Dolio. Travel time is about 2 to 2 ? hours. Your transport cost may be higher but you get the convenience of direct and individual service without the stress of having to deal with the unknowns of bus schedules, seating capacity, and making timely connections. Bus travel will especially difficult during Semana Santa time because the buses will be crowded and demand will exceed capacity and if you do transport by bus the timing will have you most likely arriving at dusk or after dark in Juan Dolio.

Enjoy your visit.

Regards,
PJT

Last edited:

nubiankat

Mar 28, 2004
PJT said:
Well, let’s put it this way. You can get to Juan Dolio. How you get there is your option. DR1 is here to help.

Thanks so much for the detailed options. This is very helpful!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Pjt

In the east you're the man or woman as the case may be!! (Gregg - being politically correct!!)

If I find myself heading past Santo Domingo, I willl rely on you - guaranteed!!!

Gregg

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Taxi Fare????

PJT said:
PJT considers following your bus options.

1.) Take a taxi, 45 minutes ( Beron Taxi @ 500 ? 600 Pesos or Suitratural $?), to the Higuey bus station, Sichoprola, near the cathedral, then take the intercity bus Higuey - La Romana ? San Pedro de Macoris ? Juan Dolio** - Boca Chica - Sto. Domingo. It runs every 15 minutes from Higuey, 7 am to 7 pm. With stops in every city. The bus fare to Juan Dolio is 100 Pesos. Travel time from Higuey is about 1.75 hrs.

2.) Take the Bavaro - Sto Domingo express bus from the Sitrabapu bus station near the Friusa crossroads in Bavaro. It is 20 ? 30 min by taxi, US$ 25, from airport. PJT

I just got off the phone with Beron Taxi. The guy quoted me 700 pesos for a ride from the airport to the bus station in Bavaro.

He quoted me 1400 pesos for a ride from the airport to the bus station in Higuey.

Has the value of the peso changed that much in the past month or is he giving me "tourist" rates?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
MotorCity Mike said:
I just got off the phone with Beron Taxi. The guy quoted me 700 pesos for a ride from the airport to the bus station in Bavaro.

He quoted me 1400 pesos for a ride from the airport to the bus station in Higuey.

Has the value of the peso changed that much in the past month or is he giving me "tourist" rates?

Yes, the value of the peso has changed. However PJT thinks you are getting a fare resting between dominicano rate and tourist rate.

You are still getting a deal from Beron taxi. Siutratural, the taxis (809) 221-2741, at the airport will charge US $25 or more to get to the Bavaro Bus stop. The 700 Pesos at an exchange of 45/1 to the dollar is 15.5 Dollars by Beron Taxi is a gift.

Regards,
PJT

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
More questions

PJT said:
Yes, the value of the peso has changed. However PJT thinks you are getting a fare resting between dominicano rate and tourist rate.

You are still getting a deal from Beron taxi. Siutratural, the taxis (809) 221-2741, at the airport will charge US $25 or more to get to the Bavaro Bus stop. The 700 Pesos at an exchange of 45/1 to the dollar is 15.5 Dollars by Beron Taxi is a gift.

Regards,
PJT

PJT,

Thanks for your quick response!!

My flight arrives at 10:20 AM on the 16th of May. I want to get up to the Puerto Plata area (hopefully by that same night). What is the best choice as far as taking the taxi to Bavaro as opposed to Higuey? Do you know how much a bus will cost from either of these locations to Santo Domingo?

Also, how can I find information about getting from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata; Name of bus company, schedule, cost?

Thanks for your help......from the posts I've seen, you are the expert in that part of the DR.

Mike

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Your best opportunity is to taxi from the airport to the Sichoprola bus terminal in Higuey. Then from Higuey take the "EXPRESS" bus to the capital for about 200 Pesos. The expresses run every hour on the hour up to 7pm. Once in the capital you can decide to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours or Metro buses to Puerto Plata, or overnight in S.D. and travel the next day. Maybe one of the ace posters from the North Coast can assist with transit information from S.D.

Regards,

PJT

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
Where's the Caribe Tours Station?

Can anyone tell me where the Caribe Tours station in Santo Domingo? Is it close to the bus station where I'll end up coming from Higuey? Any idea of what a taxi to Caribe Tours should cost?

Thanks in Advance

MotorCity Mike