Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What made you choose to live in DR?

    Without having immersed myself in the archives of this message board, I notice recent commentaries on corruption, lousy politicians, pollution, inflation, noise, lack of respect etc. etc. There is quite an extensive list of negative aspects on living in DR.

    Every coin has a flip side and ”et in arcadia ego” but still… Why have you chosen to live in the Dominican Republic?

    I am just curious to know the reasons why people choose to move there and stay?

    Was it by pure coincidence? You were there on vacation and fell in love with the place? Then you decided to move there without checking up on alternative places on the planet?

    Or was if after careful scrutiny of all ”tropical” destinations? You checked the infrastructure, economy, politics, culture, location etc of Malaysia and DR and decided that DR had more to offer?

    Maybe you decided that, of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, the one in Sosua is the best?

    You received a job offer you couldn’t resist?

    I have friends who have decided to live in Cuba, Thailand and the Philippines. They all feel that they have made a good choice of a place to live. In all three cases, they have met women from those countries, when working there or elsewhere, and then decided to live there rather than back home in Europe. Is that the case for you too? The DR woman ”pull” you to her country?

    It appears as if most of you come from North America, so for you maybe you just want to be close to your home country?

    I am just curious…
    Last edited by Voyager; 03-29-2004 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling of "choose" in title (I wrote "coose)

  2. #2
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Good Question...

    To Enjoy... Warm weather, freedom, easy going pace of life, happy people with easy smiles, fresh air, beaches.
    To get away from... Blistering cold winters, excessive taxes, stress, Gestapo-like cops (Quebec), the English/French battle there, allergies, being a number instead of a person.

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default There are three things that drew me here,and hold me here!

    The Women,The Women,and last but not least,The WOMEN!

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    11,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Women? who needs stinking women? I came here to eat rice and beans and Mondongo everyday. Yeah!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    The Women,The Women,and last but not least,The WOMEN!

    You shouldn't cheat on your wife. That's not NICE.

  6. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking My wife is Dominican,It's part of life here!

    We use the "Don't Ask Don't Tell"policy! She Don't ASK,and I Don't TELL!

    And.....I follow her rules:"No Family Members",No Neighbors",and "No One From Work"!See what a good boy I am??? CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sure, but why DR in particular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    To Enjoy... Warm weather, freedom, easy going pace of life, happy people with easy smiles, fresh air, beaches.
    To get away from... Blistering cold winters, excessive taxes, stress, Gestapo-like cops (Quebec), the English/French battle there, allergies, being a number instead of a person.
    Okey, sure, of course I know what you mean about the weather and the laid back life style and the beach and all that, but...

    ...my question was really why you picked DR of all countries??? I mean, you can find all of the above in many, many places all over the world!

    However, as you come from Canada, I venture a guess that you selected DR because it is close to home!? Or?

  8. #8
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up I Agree with the Big Guy: The Women!

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager
    ...my question was really why you picked DR of all countries?
    I wanted to retire to a tropical climate, with lots of beaches. An island. There are in fact a lot of candidates for that so why the D.R. in particular? I didn't want to be trapped on some little sand spit in the ocean, that I could circumnavigate twice in the same day on foot. I also wanted variety. The DR is a large island, the climate varies greatly, the terrain varies greatly (from below sea level lakes to a 10,000 foot mountain), there a lots of freshwater lakes and rivers so you don't have to catch rain water to survive, you can live in seclusion in the country side and still have huge metropolises to visit like Santo Domingo and Santiago, the island is (or could be) self-sufficient in terms of food, etc.

    I guess what I am saying is that the D.R. is big enough to have just about everything you'd ever want, and yet is still small enough to be a tropical island. With wonderful women! I should know. I married one of them!

    Tom aka [FONT=Black Chancery]XR [/FONT]A tough guy told me 'I'll bet you $10 you're dead.' I was afraid to bet him.

  9. #9
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The real reason...

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager
    Okey, sure, of course I know what you mean about the weather and the laid back life style and the beach and all that, but...

    ...my question was really why you picked DR of all countries??? I mean, you can find all of the above in many, many places all over the world!

    However, as you come from Canada, I venture a guess that you selected DR because it is close to home!? Or?
    This is nowhere near as exciting as other people's stories, but, here we go...
    I pulled out my Reader's Digest World Atlas with my girlfriend.
    We were hellbent on getting out of the rat race and the cold.
    I had heard many good things about the DR, including family & friends who holidayed here.
    As it happened, my then girlfriend, had been here before on vacation and liked it.
    I jumped on a plane, checked it out for one week.
    Went back home with a favorable report, and we started preparing.
    Two months later, we were down here, dumber than stumps, with no clue of what we were going to do.
    Banged my head up against the wall a thousand times before discovering that I wasn't going to change "them" and finally learning to adapt.
    You see... We didn't have DR1 in those days to help us out.
    PS: Being close to North America and the fact that it was safer than most destinations, did have a lot to do with it.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XanaduRanch
    I wanted to retire to a tropical climate, with lots of beaches. An island. There are in fact a lot of candidates for that so why the D.R. in particular? I didn't want to be trapped on some little sand spit in the ocean, that I could circumnavigate twice in the same day on foot. I also wanted variety. The DR is a large island, the climate varies greatly, the terrain varies greatly (from below sea level lakes to a 10,000 foot mountain), there a lots of freshwater lakes and rivers so you don't have to catch rain water to survive, you can live in seclusion in the country side and still have huge metropolises to visit like Santo Domingo and Santiago, the island is (or could be) self-sufficient in terms of food, etc.

    I guess what I am saying is that the D.R. is big enough to have just about everything you'd ever want, and yet is still small enough to be a tropical island. With wonderful women! I should know. I married one of them!

    Tom aka [FONT=Black Chancery]XR [/FONT]A tough guy told me 'I'll bet you $10 you're dead.' I was afraid to bet him.

    The exact reason I want to visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •