Sosua beach bars

Glennt

Mar 23, 2004
Does anyone have any info about the bars and small business' behind Sousa Beach. Are the shack's rented or do you buy the business and location from the owner? How do they become available? Are there taxes, licences' for fees for operating behind the beach? Any info about taking over a bar on the beach would be appreciated.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua beach Bars

Glennt said:
Does anyone have any info about the bars and small business' behind Sousa Beach. Are the shack's rented or do you buy the business and location from the owner? How do they become available? Are there taxes, licences' for fees for operating behind the beach? Any info about taking over a bar on the beach would be appreciated.

The casitas are rented and you need a liquor licence but someone can sell you his business they often become available. There is a high turnover rate. If you are interested be very careful. A few rainy days and you could be one poorer person. Too many bars, not enough people. I understand there is some lighting going in along the beach for night business, whether that helps who knows? There are also plans (or at least were last year) to get rid of all the casitas and build a larger permanent structure to hold bars and gift shops. Not considered a good investment by locals. Look at all the vacant casitas and ask yourself why? :(

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Richard, you are correct. The Starz people (Victorian House, Sosua Bay Hotel) have been talking about having the casitas torn down. May never happen, but something for anyone thinking of buying one to consider. If you get a lot of offers to sell to you, but aware of the possible reason.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Anyone Remember This?

Ken said:
Richard, you are correct. The Starz people (Victorian House, Sosua Bay Hotel) have been talking about having the casitas torn down. May never happen, but something for anyone thinking of buying one to consider. If you get a lot of offers to sell to you, but aware of the possible reason.

One of the advantages to paying Robert and DR1 a few cheles every month is that you get full access to the DR1 News Archives.

I remembered this 'plan' from the news awhile back, did a search, et voila! Now the question is, does anyone else, Baldy especially, remember the plan? Where'd the money go? Last time I was on Sosua beach the shacks didn'tlook very 'Victorian'! In Malaysia a business plan, or proposal is referred to by the English word 'scheme'. I always laughed at that. I think the DR should adopt Malaysia's use of the word.

From the 08-23-2002 DR1 News
New era for Sosua?
Government and private sector announced yesterday they would invest RD$88 million to improve the 1.2 kilometer Sosua Beach. Vendors located within the 60-meter fringe of the beach would be relocated to a new mall that would be built. The relocation is expected to mark a new era for Sosua, one of the first beach areas to be developed in the Dominican Republic. There are an estimated 3,500 hotel rooms in Sosua, located between Puerto Plata City and Cabarete, on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic.
A 6,474 square meter mall in typical Caribbean Victorian Age style will be built on a 13,000 square meter property. The groundbreaking date of the mall has yet to be announced. Reportedly, President Hipolito Mejia approved the project on a recent visit to Puerto Plata. The government committed to invest RD$40 million in the property, and the private sector would invest RD$23.4 million, and finally vendors would invest RD$24.6 million to purchase storefronts. The new mall will be operated by a seven-member board (Ministry of Tourism, city government of Sosua, land donators, Sosua Development Association, beach vendors, Sosua Association of Hotels).
The plan also calls for the construction of a beach club at the Los Charamicos side entrance.

From the 02-19-2002 DR1 News
Plan to improve Sosua Beach
The president of the Association of Hotels of Sosua and Cabarete, Iris Perez announced the implementation of a plan to improve Sosua beach in Puerto Plata. She said the plan is to improve the landscaping, build a parking lot, and a plaza for the vendors. Dozens of vendors? shacks dot the north coast beach. The Amhsa Marina hotel chain will develop the project and it will be headed by Cecilio Mercedes, himself a former president of the regional hotel association.

Tom aka XR Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

Glennt

Mar 23, 2004
Thanks for the helpful info. More to think about. Now I have to decide if I should go to plan B.