buying Vanilla ..

celtzerphone

Mar 30, 2004
Morning, I am being cautious..my daughter brought me back some vanilla from the DR a few weeks ago,the bottle is plastic & has just a regular top,not sealed. I want to know if it is ok to use it..I am just concerned about the safety of the product,the company name on the bottle is "real". I am worried about getting sick ,since I don't know where it was made.or how....any comment would be welcome,thanks,celtzerphone

Last edited by a moderator:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Dominican vanilla is amongst the best vanilla in the world. We, as foreigners, are used to everything being sealed for safety (against some sickos who might taint it). Real vanilla is the vanilla we always bring back for ourselves, friends, and family. Never had a problem, nor am I scared of having one, although I suppose something could've tainted it. One time, Canada Customs made me wait for about 15 minutes while they checked each and every bottle of vanilla I had. Guess 25 bottles of unsealed vanilla looks quite suspicious to them, too!

celtzerphone

Mar 30, 2004
thanks Trina

trina said:
Dominican vanilla is amongst the best vanilla in the world. We, as foreigners, are used to everything being sealed for safety (against some sickos who might taint it). Real vanilla is the vanilla we always bring back for ourselves, friends, and family. Never had a problem, nor am I scared of having one, although I suppose something could've tainted it. One time, Canada Customs made me wait for about 15 minutes while they checked each and every bottle of vanilla I had. Guess 25 bottles of unsealed vanilla looks quite suspicious to them, too!
I was all happy untill the dreaded words..could be tainted..lol, my family had the unpleasant experiance with strawberries from Chile a few years ago..everyone was extreemly sick,the health people said when you get products from other countries,they use local water to wash & process the goods..needless to say,they do have a few parasites in them..so I was wondering if anyone has been sick...we all know not to drink the water when away...so ..the chicken that I am ,I guess I won't use it, smells so good though,but safety is more important.

S

Stephen

We use it

and my family and friends all bring back bottles and bottles to give out when returning to the US. Both the dark and the light. We use the brand "real" and "industrial" and have never had problems. I can't keep up with the people that keep asking me to bring them home some every month!

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Seriously, over 7 trips to the DR, and about 120 bottles later for family and friends, there have been no problems what-so-ever. Dominican vanilla is the best, and it's rare that you can find clear vanilla where we live (unless you want to pay a small fortune). I wouldn't bring it back for friends and family if I thought there was reason to be leary of it. As far as tainting goes, you could have one sicko working in a McDonalds restaurant and get poisoned, but that chance is so slight, you're not going to stop going to McDonalds for it, are you?

Enjoy!

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
When in doubt....

Don't do it. Safety for your familiy should be your priority.

celtzerphone said:
Morning, I am being cautious..my daughter brought me back some vanilla from the DR a few weeks ago,the bottle is plastic & has just a regular top,not sealed. I want to know if it is ok to use it..I am just concerned about the safety of the product,the company name on the bottle is "real". I am worried about getting sick ,since I don't know where it was made.or how....any comment would be welcome,thanks,celtzerphone

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I live in the DR & have been buying & using vanilla for 12 years with absolutely NO problems. If you're worried, rather than throwing it, use it externally - it stops the mosquito bites from itching. Really! Try it.

celtzerphone

Mar 30, 2004
Thanks all

The funny thing is I was babysitting for my daughter today & ate the rest of the apple pie she made...& found out made with the vanilla..lol,was really good too.. I will think about using it,I didn't know they used alcohol in making it..that in it's self is tempting ;D thanks for all the imput,I will think about it Jenny ake; celtzerphone

Sunny44

Jul 24, 2002
celtzerphone said:
The funny thing is I was babysitting for my daughter today & ate the rest of the apple pie she made...& found out made with the vanilla..lol,was really good too.. I will think about using it,I didn't know they used alcohol in making it..that in it's self is tempting ;D thanks for all the imput,I will think about it Jenny ake; celtzerphone

If you decide you do not want to use it, you can send it to me! I ran out of all of my "stash" (brought back about 5 bottles last time we were there) and cant WAIT to get more! I even have friends who have never been to the Dominican Replublic, requesting some!!!!!!! It is soooooo good and soooooo inexpensive! Use it and enjoy it!
Sunny

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Just a thought...

Maybe I just don't worry about stuff like that but don't you think if there was any major problem (i.e. people getting sick from using the vanilla bought in the DR) you would have heard about it by now, either here or in some newspaper article? You are being far too paranoid about a great export, one that I myself have used several times. I think its the North American culture to worry about such things - I have seen people in the DR cut up raw chicken on a wooden cutting board and then an hour later (without the board being washed) cut up fruit on the same surface ... and not get sick or even think twice about it. I know you are worried, but believe me... if we all worried about ingesting substances that cause harm to our bodies and the possible "hazards" in ingesting vanilla extract, you should be more worried about stuff like the hormones injected meats you buy in your local grocery store every week that are known to cause cancer! The products bought and exported from the DR en masse are not something you should be thinking twice about. Use and enjoy!