Dominican Coffee in Toronto or London

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
I did a search and saw that someone was lucky enough to find Dominican coffee in Ottawa. I was just wondering if anyone has found Dominican coffee in either Toronto or London, Ontario. I seem to have developed a minor addiction and I just ran out of the coffee I brought back from my trip. :bored: :surprised :confused:

Please help if you can!!

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Please help if you can!![/QUOTE]

The only advice i can give you is what I did myself in finding coffee in Ottawa. I systematically popped my head into every shop that carried any type of product made in the Carrebean (sp? sorry tired and its late). I spoke with shop owners and clerks, who themselves where wondering why Canada does so little importing from the Dominican Republic. I made a few calls here in Ottawa on the importing subject and a government contact tipped me off as to the one shop that sells the blessed coffee bean from the DR. It took about 2 to 3 months of searching and was actually really a fun time. I not only have a cupboard full of coffee but my spice rack is full, and have tried some very interesting tastely treats from all over the islands. Use this shopping experience as an adventure, and look around and you may find what you are looking for...and if you find Presidente beer or Brugal Rum, or DR vanilla please post the locations and the story behind the finds!
Toby

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Shop Name

Hey Toby.......please share....

What is tha name of the shop in Ottawa?

We travel there once a year, and it would be great to stock-up on the coffee.

Thanks for your help.

It feels great to donate!

Cheers
Jimmy

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Scoobster said:
Hey Toby.......please share....

What is tha name of the shop in Ottawa?

The shops name is Mugena Enterprises and is located at 911A Richmond Road. Very easy to get to and a fun little shop> The owners are lovely people and are glad to get the new business.
Cheers
Toby

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Thanks

Awesome Toby!

Thank you very much, I will be sure to get there this spring, and summer...maybe even fall!

Cheers
Jimmy

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
Thanks guys - I haven't been able to find any in London, but I will be back in Toronto soon, and I am sure that I will have better luck there...in the meantime, Maxwell House will just have to do. :ermm:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Red girl there is something much better than Maxwell House, it's called barzulla or something close to that name. It's for espresso and I can't tell the difference between that and Dominican coffee. :eek: :duck:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
What possible use could people who have evolved without taste buds have for good coffee? I don't refer to Canadians - they haven't evolved that far - yet.

Even the Brits' so-called beer is apparently thrown out (spoiled) milk. It's even the same temperature as the milk (when straight out of the cow).

Anyone trying to order a meal there finds that they are divided by a common language. Most of the waiters come from the colonies and don't speak English. The ones who look English don't admit to a word of it and mess up your order just to get the point across. You simply don't have the right to "have it your way", and get punished for trying.

I just hope that what has happened to Brits, as products of the world's first industrialized society, doesn't engulf us all eventually. I'm not optimistic, though, what with the proliferation of fast food, microwave ovens, etc. Then there is political correctness of course - nobody is entitled to pleasure of any kind anymore, especially the old fashioned ones like enjoying one's food and drink.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
andy a

What, pray tell, does your post have to do with finding Dominican coffee in Toronto or London???
How did you find the opportunity to make racial slurs against Canadians and Brits within this topic.
Where are you referring to when you say "anyone trying to order a meal there" ?
If you don't have an answer, please don't post negative comments about other nationalities just to be heard. That was rude !!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Marlie Jane in Canada,

(or is it California?)

"Canadian" is a racial slur? Or is "Brit"?
Are Canuck and Limey now the politically correct terms?

My first reaction to your post was to withdraw it since you obviously considered it an intrusion on YOUR thread. But then I noticed that it isn't your thread.

Actually, Canadian taste isn't so bad, although I couldn't find any black-eyed peas and cornbread on my last trip there. I didn't even try looking for moonshine. I did like the Canadian bacon though. Next time I'll try Canadian ham.

Red_Girl, I see you've responded. Are you complaining?

Red_Girl

Mar 5, 2004
andy a said:
Marlie Jane in Canada,

(or is it California?)

"Canadian" is a racial slur? Or is "Brit"?
Are Canuck and Limey now the politically correct terms?

My first reaction to your post was to withdraw it since you obviously considered it an intrusion on YOUR thread. But then I noticed that it isn't your thread.

Actually, Canadian taste isn't so bad, although I couldn't find any black-eyed peas and cornbread on my last trip there. I didn't even try looking for moonshine. I did like the Canadian bacon though. Next time I'll try Canadian ham.

Red_Girl, I see you've responded. Are you complaining?

Marlie was sticking up for me (thanks Marlie), because your post was a little wacky...was that a complaint?? Nope, it was a genuine question, you confused the hell out of me. I was just asking about coffee, andy a...just coffee.

(As for your black-eyed peas and cornbread, you weren't looking in the right places. I have both in my kitchen, and I found them in London - Ontario, by the way...was that the source of your confusion? - and if you can find something in London, you can find it just about anywhere.)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Red_Girl,

"Thanks Marlie"...???

For what? Bringing up "race" - an action that Robert says will get people banned from the board?

[By the way Anna, were you referring to Bustelo, in a yellow wrapper or can? Yes, it's pretty good, although I still prefer Santo Domingo.]

Yes, Red_Girl, I thought you were referring to London, England. Yes, everything I said satirically in the post represents a well-known fact (and well-lamented for those embarking on a trip there). Anyone who just fell off the turnip truck can easily consult tourist guidebooks to confirm it. Yes, I have experienced it myself. Unfortunately, the whole world seems to be evolving the same way as a product of modern society.

The only serious note concerning Canada was about them confusing ham for bacon (or is it we who ascribe it to them?).

As far as political correctness forbidding the enjoyment of food and drink, apparently humor can be added to the list.

You only wanted "coffee ... just coffee". Your thread had been there for a week with 4 respondents, and might very well have died. Was that what you wanted? Did you have all the info you needed by that time? Is that the same attitude you use when you jump into other threads?

With a title like that, hanging around so long with so little response I couldn't resist trying to liven it up a bit. It turns out that a Brit was NOT looking for good coffee after all, so I was right.

Red_Girl, as I said, if you wanted to keep me out of the thread you started, all you had to do was ask - I was even getting ready to offer such myself until I noticed that the attack was from someone else. Of course, you (or anyone) could also have attempted to refute my alleged facts one by one - no, that's asking too much I guess.

Anyway, it won't happen again.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's Barzulla. It's not Dominican but 100 times better than maxwell house for sure. And best of all it's easy to find.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
andy a

Okay, I guess racial slur was the wrong term, but why jump on a Canadian who wants to know if she can buy Dominican coffee in Canada.(okay I just reread your last post and you stated that you thought she was a Brit - but then why bring Canada into it then??)
And now I am more confused about the ham/bacon situation - where did you mention this. Let me see, I am serving Baked Ham for Easter Dinner and for Easter Sunday brunch I am serving hot cross buns, eggs, hasbrowns, and Bacon. How do we confuse bacon and ham - or am I not reading your post correctly.
I am not trying to pick a fight, I just don't understand your thinking while posting in this thread about "coffee".

Redgirl - no need to thank me, and I am sorry if I started something with Andy a and took over your thread for a bit, I just didn't get it!!!

Now - did you ever try Aunt Clara's Kitchen - remember you can always purchase the coffee from there.

Good luck
Marlie

Anton Suhy

Apr 26, 2011
**cough**I don't want to get involved in that...
I remember running across this site before too:
Dominican Coffee Canada
They only have Monte Real but that is my favourite anyway!
It's not as easy as a local store I guess but waiting a few days for Canada Post to drop it by the door isn't so bad either.