Looking For Good Restaurants In DR?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,

I'm heading to the DR to Puerta Plata in April and I wanted to know if you experienced DR posters could help me out. I will be visiting Cabarete and Sosua and wanted to know of some good restaurants because I love to eat. Also are there any other places you could recommend me visiting? I want to try and see and experience as much as I can!

Thanks in advanced.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you got wheels you can check out my "new" place

it is on the highway from POP to Imbert, just past the entrance to the RIU complex in Maimon. About 3/4 of a mile further on, on the right hand side of the road is a very Dominican place called Johan. Great fried fish. BUT two places further on, there is a nice thatched roof place that has a larger menu and better service. It is owned by a guy named Tito. I can recommend it whole heartedly. (Also say Manguitos is very good, too. No dissing that place)

Other places: Cafe Cito, Tim Hall's place. Good grub, good wines. Higher scale.

I am shocked that nobody has been yelling: Rocky's, Rocky's Rocky's....no doubt about it: Best ribs and garlic chicken on the North Shore. Calle Dr. Rosen in Sosua...

Yum yum

Info by hillbilly

At 306, he know food!

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Send an E-Mail to "Escott"

He knows Sosua! We went to a place on the clifs over looking the water called "Pier Giorgio" (I Think)very nice.Also there is a German House in Sosua with HUGE portions,"Vienerschnitzel",and a place in the Square managed by "Kiwi John"? that has a great bar-b-que,and "Rocky's is a "hidden jewel",that you must see! Nothing fancy,but "TASTY"!Have the 1/2 chicken and garlic,with mashed potatoes and salad!Cris Colon

PS, At 306 lbs.,"Hillbilly" is at my "Goal Weight"! Only 100 lbs. to go! Looks like we were both thinking about "Rocky's" at the same time! "Great "Bellies" run together"!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
You are amazing! You have me so excited now can't wait until April 25 !
I definitely know Rocky's I've seen it mentioned on DR1! You have me feeling hungry now, yummy yummy for my tummy! All my friends tell me all the time that all I ever talk about is food lol , what can I say except that I love food!

Hillbillly, if my cousin wants to head your way I will definitley check out your place,thanks again!

Chriss Colon I will send an e-mail to Escott thanks again!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In Cabarete you have to eat a platter of big, fat, juicy camarones in a creamy garlic sauce at Papi's. It has another name, Casa something, but locals know it as Papi's. Just walk down the beach after 7 in the evening and you'll find it by the garlicky aroma, or by the line of people waiting for tables, or ask someone. It is a small restaurant, right on a little corner - easier to find from the beach than from the street and only open in the evenings.

I've had good recommendations for TropiCoco but have not tried it. It is not on the main drag but within easy walking distance from the beach. Most of the restaurants on the beach in Cabarete have good food - it is not always consistent though.

For something lighter, the blue cheese burger at Jose O'Shea is great.

For good dominican style seafood, at excellent prices, go to Tipica Mercedes. Most anyone will be able to direct you to this restaurant in the local community.

Escott was talking about nice food at the Jazz Club (if I remember correctly) - He is sure to check in and tell us about it again.

And of course, Rockys in Sosua is not fancy, but a 'must-go-to' place for ribs or chicken.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
There is a restaurant behind Cita del Sol Pool that is real nice, forget the name. Also a place called Bar-Bake leaving Cabarete towards Sosua make the left before the Esso station. Just across the street from the Esso is Tropicoco which has nice thai food on Thursdays. I responded with a few others by PM.

Scott

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Places in Cabarete

Otra Cosa - French, very exclusive, beautiful food. Right at the end of the beach in front of La Punta Apartamentos. Take cash.

Toma La Luna - Great Sicillian Food, on same street as Otra Cosa.

La Casa Del Pescador - on the beach, great seafood.

Have tried Tropicoco before - great if you want a huge meal - buffet style east as much as you like.

6 weeks 'til Cabarete and counting every single minute!!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
The restaurant names.........

.........refered to by Chris and Escott. The shrimp place is La Casita and it is fabulous. The rest. behind Cita del Sol is called Casa del Camarones, also excellent.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone! You honestly are great that's why DR1 is an amazing site! I do more reading than posting. I post when I'm heading to the DR.
I will check out Rocky's since I hear so much about it and didn't get a chance to last time I was in POP and I will have to check out La Casita I love shrimp!

Escott I got your PM thanks again!

It's my cousin's first time in Puerta Plata and I want to get her of the resort to check out the real DR! 24 more days and here I come! Yeah!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Restaurants in Sosua

Excellent food in Sosua:
* 'The Waterfront' with great view of the bay from the cliffs
* 'Morua Mai', central, near the PJ roundabout
* 'La Roca', opposite Morua Mai
* 'La Gaviota', cheap dominican style menu, Calle Duarte
* 'Il Molino', italian restaurant, Calle Ayuntamiento, opposite Eddy's Sportsbar
* another good italian is on Calle Clisante, very near to PJ's snackbar
in the dominican part of the village, Los Charamicos, go for 'Restaurant Central', great place and cheap.
if you want a cheap lunch on the beach, go to the dominican 'comedores' that sell the typical rice, chicken, salad and beans.
Enjoy it!