Is it safe to swim in the ocean in Samana?

xiv

Mar 29, 2004
I was wondering... is it safe to swim in the sea in Samana? Are there sharks or any other dangerous creatures to be aware of?

I also saw somewhere that there was a beach called "Del Vallee" close to Las Galeras that should be avoided. Why is that?

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
El Valle is not recommended for swimming because of a dangerous undertow.

You might be the first, but up to now no reports of shark attacks

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Watch out for undertow

Hello,
Undertow can be very strong in some places.
My friend actually saw someone drift off and almost drown in the sea between Playa Bonita and Playa Coson, there was no way he could swim back because of the undertow. Luckily he was a good swimmer and found a sandbank further in the ocean to stand on.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Playa del Vallee, Playa Rincon and other Samana peninsula beach information can be found in the Attractions section of www.SamanaOnline.com Ken is correct when he warn's you of the undertow sometimes found during heavy surf at that particular beach. All the beaches on the north side of the peninsula including Las terrenas, Playa Bonita and Playa Coson can be dangerous when the surf is up, mostly during winter storms.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Be Careful

xiv said:
I was wondering... is it safe to swim in the sea in Samana? Are there sharks or any other dangerous creatures to be aware of?

I also saw somewhere that there was a beach called "Del Vallee" close to Las Galeras that should be avoided. Why is that?

Thanks

A lot of the Dominican Navy nuclear subs practice there and there are a fair # of rogue Coney Island Whitefish, too.